PDA

View Full Version : Any body use space balls

brandon guthrie
05-26-2007, 3:08 PM
Contemplating using space balls on some cabinet doors. Any body use them? What size and how much did you undersize the panel?

Steve Clardy
05-26-2007, 3:21 PM
Yes. Always.
I use 1/4"

I always undersize the panels 1/4" on the side. [1/8" each side]

I do not use them top and bottom.
I undersize t/b only a 1/16" total

Don Selke
05-26-2007, 4:26 PM
Ditto on Steve's post. I tried them once and now use them on all my panel doors.;)

J.R. Rutter
05-26-2007, 4:53 PM
I've been using them for the past year or so - maybe 15,000 used so far. I undersize 1/8" top and bottom, and 5/32" on each side.

The only things I'm not fond of are:

If you drop a container, you have a mess.

They bleed some oily fluid that shows up on light woods. I've seen it especially on maple and alder.

They are sort of stiff.

I just got a bunch of spacer material from Atlanta Gasket to evaluate. It is an open cell rubber foam 1/4" square by 1" long pieces. Squishier than Space balls, but not as easy to insert. They don't roll all over the place, though!

Gary Keedwell
05-26-2007, 4:59 PM
I have been using them for over 10 years with no ill effects.
Gary K.;)

Steve Clardy
05-26-2007, 6:27 PM
I've been using them for the past year or so - maybe 15,000 used so far. I undersize 1/8" top and bottom, and 5/32" on each side.

The only things I'm not fond of are:

If you drop a container, you have a mess.

They bleed some oily fluid that shows up on light woods. I've seen it especially on maple and alder.

They are sort of stiff.

I just got a bunch of spacer material from Atlanta Gasket to evaluate. It is an open cell rubber foam 1/4" square by 1" long pieces. Squishier than Space balls, but not as easy to insert. They don't roll all over the place, though!

Lol. You got that one right.
I did that once. Finally wised up and put some in a smaller container.

Eddie Darby
05-26-2007, 7:56 PM
I ran across this tip a couple of days ago here on SMC, but I can't find it now. The poster showed that rubberized lining material used on shelves being cut up and inserted into the slots to allow for expansion.

Jeffrey Schronce
05-26-2007, 9:44 PM
Free sample Spaceballs . . .

http://www.blackbridgeonline.com/usfreetrial.htm

brandon guthrie
05-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks Jeff