PDA

View Full Version : Do link belts require different pulleys?

James Carmichael
05-26-2007, 2:20 PM
I rehabbed an old Craftsman contractor saw and added a link belt from Woodcraft. The pulleys are 2 1/2", and when I added the link belt, I noticed it didn't quite fit the v-groove and twisted almost 90 degrees in the pulley groove when the saw was run. Seemed to work fine until I heard a clunking sound last night while cutting some plywood. I shut off the saw right away and pulled the belt to find three of the links had been chewed through.

So do the link belts need special pulleys?

I know the machined pulleys are best, but they look a bit pricey. Anyway, I picked up a v-belt from Tractor Supply so I can use the saw while I get this sorted out.

Tim Johnson
05-26-2007, 2:37 PM
There are 1/2inch wide link belts and 3/8 inch wide link belts so check the width of the groove of your pulley, the diameter should not matter since you can make a link belt any length you require. Given the situation you described, I would assume you have a 1/2 inch wide belt in a less than 1/2 inch wide grooved pulley???

The only source I know of where you can get short lengths of 3/8 inch link belt is Grizzly.

Hope this helps.

James Carmichael
05-26-2007, 2:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tim. I did wander over to Grizzly's site looking for belts and made an important discovery: the belt fits the pulley grooves much better if you install it right side out!

I had assumed the link tabs went on the outside:eek:

As LOML and I like to tease each other, just paint the scarlet letter on my forehead, a big red G for GOOBER!

P.S. it does run much smoother now.:rolleyes:

Pat Germain
05-26-2007, 7:58 PM
Gee, James. You must be the first woodworker ever to do something boneheaded in the shop. Surely, this is a historical precedent. Next thing you know, you'll cut a piece too short. I'm sure that would also be a historical precedent. (Not!)

When I first installed a link belt on my saw, I also wondered which way it went. I figured the tabs went on the inside and it just so happened I was right.

FYI, I bought the machined pulleys, but I don't think they made much difference.

I'll bet we could get quite a thread going describing silly things we've done in the shop. For example, a couple of years ago I couldn't figure out why my TS wasn't cutting very well. The blade would slow down significantly whenever I went to cut something. I kept thinking my link belt was slipping. I asked around if anyone else had this problem. They didn't. It turned out I had been using the wrong extension cord. I inadvertantly grabbed one of those long, thin cords used for yard tools. I'm lucky I didn't fry my motor. As my daughter used to say, "Duh to the tenth power, dad!". :o

glenn bradley
05-26-2007, 8:59 PM
Yep, its all over now. You made a goof. From now on it'll be "where'd I set that chisel" and "how do I get glue off my clamps". Yes, you may as well accept your fate of cutting the darn thing three times and it still being too short. Thank goodness the rest of us have not succumbed to being human. :eek: :D :D :D

I amuse myself just reflecting on some of my "oops" issues. Laugh and enjoy. Glad it worked out.