PDA

View Full Version : Bama boys know how to hunt.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2007, 2:13 PM
Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'
FOX News

Bama boys don't mess around when it comes to huntin'.!!!
Glad to say....I'm an old Alabama boy.

Big Ol' Hawg (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html)

Karl Laustrup
05-26-2007, 2:22 PM
That is way big.

What I would like to know is how something that big can go unnoticed long enough to actually grow that big? :confused:

Karl

Nancy Laird
05-26-2007, 4:24 PM
Karl, there are lots of places down in Alabama for that monster to have hidden in--and it wouldn't surprise me if people started coming forward saying "I saw it but...."

He was probably eating little pigs for breakfast.

Nancy

Kyle Kraft
05-26-2007, 6:19 PM
MMMMM....I'm gettin' hungry!!! Could you imagine the size of a slice of bacon from that rascal??

Craig D Peltier
05-26-2007, 6:47 PM
It was a wild boar that was on a 1200 or so acre hunting ranch. The father said 6-700lbs of sausage.:eek:

Mack Cameron
05-26-2007, 7:10 PM
:o I'm sorry guys, I see no need to kill a creature as large and as ugly beautiful and magnificent as this. As dumb as this sounds, when does he get a chance to get a shot at you?
Was he attacking the kid that shot him? Did the kid that shot him need the meat to put on his family's table? What happens to his cold dead carcase now? Oh it would make a great throw rug! :rolleyes:
"Bama boys know how to hunt"; give him a camera and see how close he could come to it to get a shot. Then he would have been doing something!!
Go ahead criticize me all you want, I did hunt at one time. Why I'm not sure, to kill something I think for whatever reason is beyond me. At my age now, I'm trying to live as long as I can, I've changed my thinking 360*. Everything/everybody should have a chance to live their lives in their own surroundings as graciously and as long as they can without someone trying to take it from them. We all know the killings that have gone on in the not too distant past.!!
I know, I know, I'll have to wrench your guns from your cold dead hands, or words to that effect. There's no need for that. Put them away yourselves or only kill if you need to feed your family.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Mack.....the only hunting I ever really did was hunt to put food in the freezer. Never hunted for the sport of it. I haven't hunted in a long time now. It's gotten too expensive to hunt any more and land to hunt on is getting more scarce all the time.

Craig D Peltier
05-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Im not a hunter, I have hunted an killed. First off everyones different and gets kicks from different things.With us one of them is wood:D
I agree only to kill for meat, only if your starving or putting meat on table or not though is foolish. Theres hunting seasons for a reason population control or a very healthy population that can be thinned every year and built back up .Thats the bottom line of it.If there wasnt hunting seasons there could be rampant disease, starvation, crops perished,more people hurt.Im sorry but we are at the top of the food chain out of the water.Its the circle of life.
One of the things recently up here in the NW region that cracks me up is the fish and wildlife shooting rubber bullets at the seals.Why because there decimating the salmon. Why because theres too many of them, they have been protected too long.I dont want to kill a seal but thats the only way if we want to keep our salmon that feeds millions of people.
Just today car slams on its brakes right in front of me, why deer ran out one in front of him one in front of me, right in front of a grocery store and theres a hunting season here for them.
Im not trying to stir a ruccus but theres alot more to it than loving animals.

:o I'm sorry guys, I see no need to kill a creature as large and as ugly beautiful and magnificent as this. As dumb as this sounds, when does he get a chance to get a shot at you?
Was he attacking the kid that shot him? Did the kid that shot him need the meat to put on his family's table? What happens to his cold dead carcase now? Oh it would make a great throw rug! :rolleyes:
"Bama boys know how to hunt"; give him a camera and see how close he could come to it to get a shot. Then he would have been doing something!!
Go ahead criticize me all you want, I did hunt at one time. Why I'm not sure, to kill something I think for whatever reason is beyond me. At my age now, I'm trying to live as long as I can, I've changed my thinking 360*. Everything/everybody should have a chance to live their lives in their own surroundings as graciously and as long as they can without someone trying to take it from them. We all know the killings that have gone on in the not too distant past.!!
I know, I know, I'll have to wrench your guns from your cold dead hands, or words to that effect. There's no need for that. Put them away yourselves or only kill if you need to feed your family.

Jim Young
05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
So is that hog naturally that big or does he live near some sort of chemical plant? I thought I read something a while back about Hogzilla eating food that had growth hormones in it.

Joe Chritz
05-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Mark, I assume you haven't ever hunted wild boar. There is a real chance for a 400 pounder to kill you.

They are ill tempered at best, downright aggressive at the worst.

There are lots of rumors surrounding the actual hunt itself so I don't know the facts around it.

Any chance you are a vegan?

Joe

Mack Cameron
05-27-2007, 11:57 AM
[quote]Mark, I assume you haven't ever hunted wild boar. There is a real chance for a 400 pounder to kill you. Hi Joe; No, I never have and I never intend to. I'm just a senior Canuck that hasn't touched a gun since puberty.

They are ill tempered at best, downright aggressive at the worst. As I understand the situation, it was in a 2500 acre hunting park. Not much chance of them attacking you if you don't go in to hunt them. It's not so much the hunting that abhors me, it's the killing of this gigantic beast. A one of a kind, I'm betting. So now the young lad has bragging rights for killing the biggest boar ever. Big deal in my estimation.

Any chance you are a vegan? Not a vegan, Joe. I eat red meat with the best of them. I just can't fathom the thrill of killing a one of a kind beast such as this for the thrill of killing it. A picture would provide more thrill to me, and leave me wondering where is it now and what's it doing.

Respectfully

John Shuk
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
If it was in a preserve was it one of those canned hunts where you shoot when they turn on the electric feeders? This hog was probably given plenty of food in the hopes that it might reach this size. It probably wasn't very sporting. Me I don't hunt. I have done it and it just isn't my thing. I think alot of kids are missing out on what can bring a real life's lesson though when hunting is less and less available.

Joe Chritz
05-27-2007, 2:21 PM
To each his own, I suppose.

I don't get drawn into philosophical debates on a forum as it is to easy to misread what is intended.

I'm not normally big on preserve hunts either, however, 2500 acres is a bit shy of 4 square miles. Not exactly a pen. I would love to know all the details. If it was a clean hunt its pretty impressive, more so for a youth.

Joe

Dennis Peacock
05-27-2007, 2:49 PM
Ok folks....this thread didn't get started to debate personal feelings about hunting. Keep it civil and get off each others backs. Nobody's going to change the mind of anyone else here...especially in a public forum that you have to translate emotion behind what's written.

Let's move on...shall we. :)

Mack Cameron
05-27-2007, 3:11 PM
Ok folks....this thread didn't get started to debate personal feelings about hunting. Keep it civil and get off each others backs. Nobody's going to change the mind of anyone else here...especially in a public forum that you have to translate emotion behind what's written.

[quote]Let's move on...shall we. As you wish Dennis; but I didn't detect anything other than congenial discussion!:)

mark page
05-27-2007, 5:41 PM
In my part of the country, Feral pigs as they call them, are a shoot on sight law. They multiply faster than deer and can damage acres upon acres of property in a matter of days. Lately there was some seen on a local golf course in the city none-the-less. They do get brave and do get downright mean. I would not want to be a small kid and encounter a pack of them things. Could be like a grown man encountering a pack of wolves. I was farm raised and learned to be cautious anytime around any good sized hogs. Wild ones can have tusks two inches long or longer.
just my .02 worth. And come to remember, I was the one having to get into the farrowing pen to retrieve young piglets to keep a 600-800 lb sow from laying or rolling over on one and crushing it. I guess I was more agile and fastest on my feet. I have been knocked down several times and have put the boot to several snouts, but lucky with no broken bones or bites.

Doyle Alley
05-27-2007, 7:40 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that these "super hogs" are probably not the same as the regular feral hogs. Biologists have said that these hogs were probably either farm-born, or are no more than one generation removed from farm-born. Ordinary feral hogs just don't have the genetics to get this big.

Here in Florida, we have LOTS of wild pigs (est population of over 6 million in the state). A really big boar will go 350 to 400 lbs. You wouldn't believe the damage they cause. When a family of pigs goes through a golf course, it literally looks like someone took a tractor and disk harrow and started making circles on the fairways. I was hunting over a watermellon field last week where the owner lost half his crop to pigs and coyotes (yes, coyotes love eating watermellon).

I personally like to kill sows at about 120 lbs and boars at less than about 60 lbs. They make excellent sausage. In fact, I just had some for dinner tonight.

Dan Gill
05-27-2007, 9:55 PM
Mack, you might want to read your own tagline. Hunting is an old and honorable tradition, practiced by virtually every society in history. This post started as one old 'Bama boy trumpeting a unique accomplishment by a young Alabama boy. I don't understand why non-hunters feel it is socially acceptable to criticize hunters. If you don't want to hunt, then don't. Nobody will force you or even criticize you for that decision.

Mack Cameron
05-28-2007, 7:22 AM
[quote]Mack, you might want to read your own tagline. Point taken, Dan.:) I just don't understand killing for the sake of killing!:confused:

Al Willits
05-29-2007, 8:53 AM
Some of the othere forums have mentioned that something smells a bit rotten here, and that some of the pictures don't exactly match and it looks like a bit of photo magic.
Not sure but looking at the pictures I seen, I could see how this was a hoax.
Be nice to talk to someone that was unbaised and actually see it.

""""""
As you wish Dennis; but I didn't detect anything other than congenial discussion
""""""

No offense, but I hardly consider your remarks "congenial"

Al

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-29-2007, 9:37 AM
HOLY MOLY

If'n Id a seed that beasty and als I had were a itty bitty pistol I'd a been treed for a month.

Don't mess with that boy.

Jonathon Spafford
05-29-2007, 2:23 PM
Some of the othere forums have mentioned that something smells a bit rotten here, and that some of the pictures don't exactly match and it looks like a bit of photo magic.

It's appeared everywhere, though, in news reports... I would imagine it to be true! Especially since it was reported on FoxNews... they always do a good job! The photo isn't that great, but I don't really see anything fishy about it.

Anyway, if it really did happen, that is an amazing accomplishment for that kid! He oughta be proud of himself. Can't imagine killing it with a pistol. Man, it woulda freaked me out to have that thing jump out in front of me!

In response to Mack's point, I would agree that as a hunter you have the responsibility to eat what you kill. If you are just hunting for fun and dumping the animal after it is dead that is careless and irresponsible. In this kid's case, he is eating the pig, and I don't have a problem with that. I think that learning to hunt your own meat gives you a greater appreciation and respect (in a good way) for the animals that you are hunting, then buying them out of a plastic package. It at least gives the animal a much better chance of survival then the slaughter houses. So that you don't think that I am condemning you, I will say that I don't hunt presently and I do get meat out of the package.

Also, there are so many more animals killed by nature, predators, disease, cars, etc. then we could kill by hunting. I think hunting is a good thing... it teaches responsibility and I think working for the food like that really makes you appreciate the food source more... just my $.02 which was meant in a friendly way!

Greg Funk
05-29-2007, 3:10 PM
Anyway, if it really did happen, that is an amazing accomplishment for that kid! He oughta be proud of himself. Can't imagine killing it with a pistol. Man, it woulda freaked me out to have that thing jump out in front of me!

I'm not so sure it was much of an accomplishment. I read they chased the pig for 3 hours and had it cornered in a creek bed. The kid then walked down to it while being covered by a couple of high powered rifles and shot it point blank.

Greg

Jonathon Spafford
05-29-2007, 3:27 PM
I'm not so sure it was much of an accomplishment. I read they chased the pig for 3 hours and had it cornered in a creek bed. The kid then walked down to it while being covered by a couple of high powered rifles and shot it point blank.

Greg

The way the story goes is that he had already shot the pig eight times... after chasing the pig for three hours he shot him at point blank range several more times. Once you fire the first shot into an animal you have an ethical responsibility to make sure that the animal gets finished off. Leaving an animal to die is cruel and I respect the boy for chasing the animal for three hours to finish it off... when hunting you are never guaranteed a clean kill!! But you do have the responsibility to take the animal out of its misery... besides IMO, hunting is usually a lot cleaner then a slaughter house. So granted, I think the job could maybe have been done a bit better with a bigger gun, but I also don't think the boy anticipated taking down a half-ton hog!

Like someone else said, hunting is an optional thing... if you don't like it, you don't have to do it! Don't mean to be unfriendly on the subject... we're all entitled to our own opinion! Anyway, have a great day!

Chip Olson
05-29-2007, 4:09 PM
While I've never hunted, and am generally your typical Subaru-driving Massachusetts lefty, I would find it hard to be opposed to hunting, for the simple reason that I eat meat. If I'm not willing to pull the trigger myself, I should stick to vegetables. Indeed, I feel ethically better about eating an animal that was hunted than an animal that spent its entire life in a crammed feedlot up to its ankles in manure being shot up with antibiotics and hormones and eating food (corn) it can't digest.

Feral pigs, of which the star of this thread was one, are a non-native pest and are destructive to local plants and wildlife. Similarly, deer in most areas have no predators other than us since we got rid of the wolves, and without hunting they'd overpopulate and starve.

James Carmichael
05-29-2007, 4:46 PM
MMMMM....I'm gettin' hungry!!! Could you imagine the size of a slice of bacon from that rascal??

Yech, you can have it, there's few things tougher or nastier than an old boar (that's in both a figurative and literal, sense). Gimme a nice tender young un.

Slew him with a pistol yet.

James Carmichael
05-29-2007, 4:52 PM
I would agree that as a hunter you have the responsibility to eat what you kill. If you are just hunting for fun and dumping the animal after it is dead that is careless and irresponsible. In this kid's case, he is eating the pig, and I don't have a problem with that.

I didn't read the story but meat or no meat, a hog that large needs to be killed, as do a lot of feral hogs. They are destructive and brutally hard on native wildlife.

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 5:08 PM
The kid was interviewed on GMA this morning...they have a LOT of sausage...which makes sense considering that the animal likely wasn't "tender"...LOL Which brings up my thoughts on the subject. Although I do not hunt and have not done so since I was 13 (zero interest...), I don't have a problem with it, especially when the hunter practices good safety and makes good use of the result for food; whether to feed his/her family or via donation to help feed those who are hungry.

I actually wish more of the deer around here could be thinned out...there are far too many...but with all the development, it's impossible for folks to hunt them safely. And as a result, the local landscapes are overrun and I have to pick up two-three of them off my lawn each year after they get clobbered by a speeding vehicle on the road we live on.

BTW, that hog/pig/whatever was one ugly sucker!

Russ Filtz
06-01-2007, 7:54 AM
This is pretty much de-bunked now? Supposedly some physics professor or something proved that it's probably trick photography. The size quoted doesn't match the photo and the hog would weigh 5,000 if it really was a big as the photo? All interview shows have canceled. There out to be a law against false news stories!

Looking at the photo, it's obvious to me it's faked. The kid is kneeling way in the background to make the pig look bigger, closer to the camera.

P.S. if you ever DO get a record animal, do us all a favor and stand IN FRONT of it when taking a pic!

Jason Roehl
06-01-2007, 8:05 AM
I think it was unintentional trick photography. With modern digital cameras having multiple-spot focus, it's easy to take a photo like that with no depth perception (or a heavily skewed one). On an older film camera, the photographer would have had to focus on the boy, the hog, or somewhere in between. Any of those would have given the picture some depth. It looks like the boy is some distance behind the hog with his foot up on a log or something and leaning on his knee.

Russ Filtz
06-01-2007, 8:15 AM
OK, so you take an unintentional "funny" photo. Do you then try to dupe the entire world setting up interviews on radio/TV, set a website to promote, get a taxidermist to corroborate? To me there should be repercussions, like false advertising claims!

Al Willits
06-01-2007, 8:27 AM
Any fisherman/women who has taken a few pictures would know how to do this, I have ....er....I know people who hold the fish out in front of them to increase the size of the fish, I've even held....er.....I have seen people hold the fish close to the camera to make that 14# crappie look even bigger.....I hear..:D

Ya, teaching your kid to scam people with a hoax is good child rearing....no wonder we have so many problems with kids today.

I agree, there should be a law..or at least some common sense.

Al

skip coyne
06-01-2007, 8:47 AM
maybe the title can be changed

"Bama Boys know how to take tricky shots (photo that is ) ":rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-01-2007, 9:02 AM
Still -by any measure - a big pig~!!

I saw the kid on TV this AM and he had the freshly cleaned skull in his hands. It wasn't bigger than his chest.
However, the head of the pig in the pix appears to be so huge that you'd be lucky to get it in a fifty gallon steel drum~!!.
Was it mere perspective of the camera angle??
Questions questions.

I suspect there'll be no answers.

We need a Congressional inquiry~!!
Call out the militia~!!

Craig D Peltier
06-01-2007, 11:28 AM
This is an interview on foxnews.com, in particular here si the question is the picture a hoax

GIBSON: Mike, a lot of people just don't believe this picture. What do you say to them?
M. STONE: Well, I'll tell you, there has been a lot to do made about those pictures. The pictures are untouched pictures. They are the pictures that we took. The pictures are as they were. There was nothing done to those pictures at all.
I think the big deal is this all has come from one particular source that has kind of been trying to debunk these pictures, and we've had some experience with that person two or three days before she got this thing going. She had found out that we were going to be on one of the other network shows, and she had decided then that she was going to use this as, I think, a way to ride this story's notoriety and get her some exposure herself. And she went to some levels to do it. That kind of bothered us. She had promised to meet us at the airport and take Jamison and his sisters on a ride on the New York fire truck.

Craig D Peltier
06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
you can go here to see supposed skull and comparison to picture.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-big-pig.html

Also it was a 2500 acre tract but the pig was in a 150 acre fenced area.

Jonathon Spafford
06-01-2007, 1:05 PM
So what is the scam? That the pig didn't weigh 1051 lbs or that the picture made it look bigger?

skip coyne
06-01-2007, 1:24 PM
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/newshound/2007/06/origin_revealed.html

Fred the "pet hog"

Origin Revealed: ‘Monster Pig’ Was Farm-Raised

Four days before an 11-year-old hunter at an Alabama private game reserve shot it multiple times with a .50 caliber handgun, the now-famous swine dubbed ‘Monster Pig’ lived quietly on a Southern farm and was known by another name—Fred.
The facts behind the origin of the alleged 1,050-pound hog that has been the rage of TV morning shows and Internet blogs in recent weeks were revealed yesterday by Alabama Department of Wildlife and Fisheries officials, who were investigating the circumstances behind the now-infamous hunt.http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/newshound/images/2007/06/01/hogzilla.jpg (http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/01/hogzilla.jpg)
The huge hog gained worldwide attention after it was killed by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, who hunted with his father, Mike Stone, and two guides inside a 150-acre fenced area at the Lost Creek Plantation. Reports today say the big boar was fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.
Alabama authorities this week launched an investigation to determine where the hog came from and whether the hunt took place in compliance with the state’s fair chase regulations.
Bran Strickland, sports reporter for the Anniston (Ala.) Star, writes today that state game authorities determined that Rhonda and Phil Blissitt sold the enormous hog to the hunting operation (http://www.annistonstar.com/showcase/2007/as-open-0601-bstrickland-7f01i1244.htm) on April 29, only four days before the “hunt” took place.
Mrs. Blissitt told the Anniston reporter that “Fred” was a gift from her husband and that the gentle swine used to play with her grandchildren.
“I didn’t want to stir up anything,” Mrs. Blissitt said. “I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn’t a wild pig.”
Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said because the hog was determined not to be feral, its sale and transportation do not violate the state’s feral swine trapping and relocating regulations.
The determination also eliminates any possibility of the animal being considered as a potential record wild hog.
“If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we’d know that for the rest of our lives,” said Phil Blissitt.
Stay tuned. I’ve got a feeling this tale is far from finished.

Dave MacArthur
06-01-2007, 1:37 PM
Wow. How depressing for hunters like myself. Alabama game officials investigated, and determined that this was a normal farm-raised pig, which had been named Fred and played with the grand-kids. It was sold to the hunting operation only 4 days before the hunt, trucked in, and placed in a 150 acre fenced enclosure inside the whole spread, where the lad chased it down for 3 hours and shot it 16 times or something. I'm not up in arms like some folks about this, and can see how after taking a photo that looks HUGE, and showing it to a few folks, this would just start getting out of control--the talk shows jump all over this, and I expect the lad and his father had no idea how big it would all explode to. I was just so impressed that an animal that HUUUUGE could exist out there, and was re-imagining stories I had read about medieval boar hunts etc... a bit of a let-down ;)

Russ Filtz
06-01-2007, 1:39 PM
M. STONE: Well, I'll tell you, there has been a lot to do made about those pictures. The pictures are untouched pictures. They are the pictures that we took. The pictures are as they were. There was nothing done to those pictures at all.

Of course it was untouched real photos, still trick photography though. Perspective or parallax error simple as that. This is the same as that desert camel spider from a few years ago in Iraq that looked HUGE compared to the soldiers in the background. Was really just closer to the camera.

Craig D Peltier
06-01-2007, 4:49 PM
Dang thats horrible.Poor Fred, why the heck did the owners sell it to a game farm then, I guess just money or they didnt know it was to be hunted.Sounds like maybe alot of fibs were told.

Fred the "pet hog"

Al Willits
06-01-2007, 6:35 PM
"""""""""
The huge hog gained worldwide attention after it was killed by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, who hunted with his father, Mike Stone, and two guides inside a 150-acre fenced area at the Lost Creek Plantation. Reports today say the big boar was fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.
"""""""

Ah.....hunting is probably the last thing I'd call this, and if he fired 16 times and hit something even as big as a normal pig only 6 times, I'd have a hard time calling him a hunter also.
Damn embarrasing for anybody who really hunts.

Al

Ronald Nelson
06-02-2007, 2:37 AM
The shot shown above is IMHO a fake. It has already appeared on some retouching websites. I saw it compared to 2 photos shot from other angles and in those shots the pig is not nearly as big.

The kid is not standing way behind the pig. The pig and the kid are both sharp in the photo. If he was standing behind the pig any distance he would be slightly out of focus.

Go to Photoshopnews.com to see the other shots.

BTW: I've been a digital retoucher since 1992.

Ron Nelson

Russ Cass
06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Mack, you might want to read your own tagline. Hunting is an old and honorable tradition, practiced by virtually every society in history. This post started as one old 'Bama boy trumpeting a unique accomplishment by a young Alabama boy. I don't understand why non-hunters feel it is socially acceptable to criticize hunters. If you don't want to hunt, then don't. Nobody will force you or even criticize you for that decision.I agree 100% in what Dan said :)

Like my momma always says...."Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged."

And yes I hunt, for sport and food and never leave an animal behind in the woods.
If we don't eat it, I DON'T hunt it...plain and simple.

Greg Funk
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Mack, you might want to read your own tagline. Hunting is an old and honorable tradition, practiced by virtually every society in history. This post started as one old 'Bama boy trumpeting a unique accomplishment by a young Alabama boy. I don't understand why non-hunters feel it is socially acceptable to criticize hunters. If you don't want to hunt, then don't. Nobody will force you or even criticize you for that decision.
I didn't see anyone critisizing hunters. I don't hunt but I've got nothing against hunting. What this boy and his father did was not honorable, was not hunting and was certainly not an accomplishment.

Greg

Russ Filtz
06-04-2007, 7:51 AM
The kid is not standing way behind the pig. The pig and the kid are both sharp in the photo. If he was standing behind the pig any distance he would be slightly out of focus.

Ron Nelson

If it was photoshopped, should be easy for others to prove faked. On the focus issue, if the camera was way back and the photo snapped in telephoto mode, wouldn't the distance between pig and boy not matter as much (approximately same focal length)? Both still in focus?

Doyle Alley
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I told yall that this wasn't a wild pig. Now they proven it. Wild pigs simply don't have the genetics to get this big. I think canned hunts are disgusting. They do a serious disservice to those of us who are legimate fair-chase hunters.

Joe Chritz
06-04-2007, 3:06 PM
My last post probably got buried in all the others but two quick points.

Wild animals and feral animals are two different things. We have feral hogs in my area that are shoot on sight per the DNR. They are asking people to shoot them if they are spotted. We do not have wild hogs here.

There is a canned hunt place close that I would never go to. It is imported, now domestically raised wild boar. It is also less than 80 acres in size. The preserve this particular hunt took place in is approx 2400 acres. That makes it about 3 3/4 square miles in size. Not exactly like shooting one in a cage.

FWIW when the feral hogs here were released it took less than a year for them to go completely feral.

Joe