PDA

View Full Version : Ant Condominium ... Hollow Form

Shane Whitlock
05-26-2007, 1:15 PM
This started out about 3 times bigger than the finish product. The wood blank looked great but by the time I got it round I was left with mostly rotten wood, but I kept turning hoping that I could make something out of it. I finally hit some solid wood strong enough for a tenon. I got it mounted in the chuck and started shaping it, next thing I know something is biting me on my back. I pull my shirt off and theres ants all over it, now I know why the wood was rotten.
I grabbed a chisel and started digging into the blank where it was the softest and pulled out a large punky piece that was full of ants, into the wood burning stove it went. I poked around a little more and found a few more bugs and then continued turning.
I am pretty happy with the finished results, I like the form and the void, where I dug out the ants, gives it a lot of character. And the color of the wood is amazing, bright reddish/orange color, some spalting and wild burl grain.
Box Elder burl ... 5 1/2" tall by 6 1/2" wide. Sanded to 1200 grit, finished with Generals Seal-a-Cell and carnauba wax, then rubbed out to a satin finish. (Didn't think a high gloss finish fit the piece)

65297 65298

Comments/Critiques always appreciated,
Shane Whitlock

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2007, 2:20 PM
Beautiful piece Shane!

Love the form! The color and figure of the wood is amazing! You did a great job holding the piece together with such a large void!

Been thinking about getting into HF a little more (completed 2 pieces so far) and would like to know what you use/recommend for hollowing tools?

Bob Hallowell
05-26-2007, 2:28 PM
Shane very nice peice, and a great story to go with it!

Bob

Bill Wyko
05-26-2007, 2:56 PM
Shane that's absolutely gorgeous. Work like that should be in a gallery like Del Manos'. That must have been very delicate to turn, especially around the top. Nice job:)

Ed Scolforo
05-26-2007, 2:59 PM
Shane, that's a beauty! Thanks for "giving it up" for the wood :eek: !!

Shane Whitlock
05-26-2007, 3:01 PM
Thanks Guys.

Steve I do 90% of my hollowing with a bowl gouge, played around with different grinds until I found one that works good. Then to clean up the insides, if needed, and also to get in under the rim I use one of my hollowing tools. I have made a couple of these with different tips and they work great.

I have been wanting to make a capture hollowing rig but haven't got around to doing it yet.

65304 65305

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Travis Stinson
05-26-2007, 3:03 PM
Very cool Shane, I love everything about it! :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Beautiful piece Shane. I like everything about it. Nice job.

Bill Wyko
05-26-2007, 4:13 PM
Shane, just curious, is it for sale?

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-26-2007, 4:19 PM
Next time, Shane, if the piece will fit, Nuke them in a microwave. They pop and crackle and get sooooooooooo crunchy. MMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOD.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
05-26-2007, 6:13 PM
Beautiful piece Shane!

Jerry McCaffrey
05-26-2007, 6:46 PM
Shane

The ant condo is beautiful, but I found the tool photo most helpful. I've been playing making some HF tools and your bent scraper gives me a real good idea on how to use some HSS that I have. Thanks.

Jerry

Richard Madison
05-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Wonderful example of making lemonade when life deals you a lemon. And some very nice lemonade it is!

Shane Whitlock
05-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the great comments everyone :D

Shane, just curious, is it for sale?
Bill I haven't sold any of my turnings yet but have been wanting too, running out of book shelves to store them on.
I gotta hold on to this for a while though. I have a gallery showing on June 23rd. Its a show featuring local Utah artists. I was originally asked to show my photography but when they saw some of my turnings they asked me to bring in 6 turnings as well. I told them the only way I would is if they put them behind glass or roped off where they couldn't be handled, a print is easy to replace but a busted vessel would be a major bummer, they agreed, so it looks like I getta show off some of my turnings as well :D

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Joseph Peacock
05-27-2007, 7:33 AM
Very very very good Mr.Shane!!!!!;) :D :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
05-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow! That is completely awesome! The shape, the wood, the bug eaten section... it is just all beautiful! You are really talented!

Jim Becker
05-29-2007, 9:16 AM
I like this piece a lot, Shane.

Mark Cothren
05-29-2007, 9:43 AM
Nice work, Shane! I had a chunk of wood full of ants and I got it out of the shop as fast as I could...:D Looks like your persistence with removing the bugs paid off bigtime!

Ken LaSota
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Shane very nice recovery from something that could have landed in the stove. Great shape and color finish.
Ken