PDA

View Full Version : Built In Ironing Board - Tell me about them

John Hulett
05-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd like to hear some Creeker's experiences. If you've installed one, which one did you go with? Is it possible to build from scratch? Ones you liked and would recommend? One's you would recommend to be avoided?

Some features seem overkill, but are they worth it? Like the built-in power and/or light?

What about flexibility on the door style? I saw one that didin't come with a door, and I kinda liked that, since I'm using a simulated wood-grained melamine in the closet and SWMBO wants the ironing station in the closet with the build-out. Are there many like that to choose from? Am I relegated to removing the door it comes with and replacing it with my own material?

Are they worth it? Or are they just a novelty?

I appreciate everyone's input.

- John

Nancy Laird
05-26-2007, 12:28 PM
John, Just my .02, but I had one and I HATED it. :mad: I like to move around the ironing board when I iron (when I DO iron), and the built-in didn't allow me to do that--besides, it just wasn't big enough for hubby's shirts, etc. So I trashed it, got a free-standing that sits in my hobby/craft room and I use it occasionally, since I now send all the ironing stuff to the laundry!!:D

Before you commit, I'd suggest that you see if you can find someone in your area who has one and who will let your wife try it out. She may decide that's not what she wants.

Nancy

Ellen Benkin
05-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Funny, isn't it, how things go into and out of style. My house, built in 1929, had a built in ironing board in the kitchen. No outlet in the case, of course, so you'd have to run the cord across the floor to the nearest outlet. But it did have the two boards, one big and one small. I took it out and use the space for a spice cabinet. I kept the two doors and just attached them together using metal plates.

And now they're coming back into style. Who would have thought?

John Bush
05-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi John,
I have installed one in our first home, and we have one in our current home. I have very limited experience in actually using it, But I like the design and safety features. Ours is a Nutone Ironing Center with Automatic Shut-off.(Actual name). It is a metal box ~60' tall, fits between the studs, and is ~2" proud of the wall. It has an outlet on a dial type timer switch for the iron, a light, and a pressure switch that shuts off the power when the board is in its closed and upright position(for landing??) There is a shelf to store the iron, adjustments for board height, and simple hinges to attach your own door. The board is also on a swivel so it can be rotated 360 deg. when down. I am impressed with how well it is made and if it keeps the LOYL happy and a crisp crease in your trouser it will be a great investment. Good luck, John.

Brad Townsend
05-26-2007, 7:42 PM
We have one my wife bought at Sam's Club 14 years ago when we were building our house. I think she paid about $50 for it. She is not really all that fond of ANY ironing board, but I haven't really heard her complain about this one more than freestanding ones we've had. It has a light and plug in wired up to a rotary 30 minute timer. It certainly does save space.

Jamie Buxton
05-26-2007, 7:44 PM
Here's a recent thread about built-in ironing boards ---
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57824

Ben Grunow
05-26-2007, 9:57 PM
Another vote for them. THe timer is nice piece of mind when putting away a hot iron.