PDA

View Full Version : Blade cleaning

James Phillips
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
How often do you guys clean your table saw blades? I have a WWII that I used to build a set of bathroom vanities (in cherry) and I just took it off the saw to clean it before my next project. I thought it would be a quick clean job, but I have it soaking in pitch remover now.....

Don Naples
05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
James:

I clean them when I see any brown pitch stains on the teeth, so I don't burn the wood I am cutting. I use standard household ammonia and brush lightly with an acid brush. This gets the blades clean quickly and keeps me awake if I am getting tired.

glenn bradley
05-26-2007, 12:32 PM
It's much easier to take some 409 or simple green to them with a brass brush once a little bit of discoloration is starting to build up. If the goo is built up to where you can see it easily, you're overdue. Be careful that your cleaner is designed for carbide braised tools. Some chemicals can weaken the point of attachment. No one wants a carbide tooth flying at them at 3500 RPM.

Eric Lewis
05-26-2007, 12:41 PM
It's much easier to take some 409 or simple green to them with a brass brush once a little bit of discoloration is starting to build up... .

I take it simple green does not hurt the bond between carbon teeth and blades? Thanks.

Gary Keedwell
05-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I usually spray blade with Formula 409, wait a couple of minutes, and brush with a teethbrush. Wipe off with paper towel. Clean as a whistle. ( when was the last time you heard that expression?):D
Gary K.

Joe Unni
05-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I usually clean my blades when any gunk can be scratched with my finger nail.

Here's how I clean...

Get the lid to a 5 gallon bucket and put your blade in it and then pour in some citris degreaser (i.e. Orange Glow) enough to cover the blade and let it sit for ten minutes. If anything is stuck use a brass brush while the blade is soaking - flip it and do the same.

Works great!

Good luck,
-joe

glenn bradley
05-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I take it simple green does not hurt the bond between carbon teeth and blades? Thanks.

I got the tip from a few WWing mags and have been using it successfulyy for a couple years. Actually any citrus-based cleaner will do. 409 does a bang up job and is readily available.

scott spencer
05-26-2007, 2:37 PM
I pretty much do what Glenn and Gary described. 409, Simple Green, Goo Gone...basically most degreasers or citrus cleaners work great. Oven cleaner works well too, but is the messiest, and may be a bit more caustic so I don't even bother with that any more...too many good alternatives.

Andrew Williams
05-26-2007, 2:42 PM
I put the blade in an old baking sheet/pan and cover it in full strength simple green. A few minutes later the crud comes right off with a toothbrush. flip it over and do the same thing. Then I rinse the blade off with water and dry it with towels and compressed air. Finally a light coating of WD-40. Reuse the simple green.