PDA

View Full Version : Question for Flat Panel TV owners

Jesse Espe
05-26-2007, 9:27 AM
Any of you use/have one of these (or something similar)?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10943

I have a recessed space above my gas fireplace where my conventional TV sits now. I'd like to get something like this to mount a flat panel TV so that I would continue to have access to the open space that would be behind the flat panel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jesse

Jim Becker
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Might be less expensive to just build something, Jesse.

Pete Simmons
05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Jesse:
I recently installed a very high quality wall mount for a TV at my son's house.

The mount lists for around $500 like the one you showed. He picked it up (new) on Ebay for around $250.

This mount is holding a 42 inch flat screen tv and moves smooth and effortlessly in all directions.

I forget the brand but if you are interested I will find out.

Pat Germain
05-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Do you really need the TV to swivel side-to-side? I have the exact configuration in my house and I installed a 50" plasma last fall. Best Buy wanted $500 for Beavis and Butthead to come over and install it. (Not!)

I bought a tilting mounting plate which was about $250 (you could likely find it cheaper). This means I can tilt the TV up or down in order to eliminate any glare (this is an issue which a LCD TV will not have).

In the "hole" above my fireplace, I simply built a frame of 2x4s with one down the middle. I then bolted the frame inside the hole using large carriage bolts. I bolted the TV mounting plate to the 2X4 frame. It's just like bolting it to a typical wall, only there's no drywal and you can see the studs. Of course, I could have put drywal over it if I wanted to, but I didn't find necessary. This also allow me to easily get to the area behind the TV where I ran all the cables. Thus, I have the TV mounted above my fireplace and no cables are showing. I was concerned the fireplace might get too hot for the TV, but it hasn't been a problem.

My only issue is the tilting mounting plate puts the TV just little further out from the wall than I'd like. I could easily modify the frame and push the TV back a couple of inches. It hasn't bothered me enough to do this.

Tim Wagner
05-27-2007, 11:03 AM
will the TV fit in the hole? If you can use that, why not just use the base that came with the TV?

Craig D Peltier
05-27-2007, 11:50 AM
The past owner of my house sent me a picture a month ago of his plasma. It has a elecronic swivel on it activated by remote.
What next right? Cool idea I guess, theres not many times ive wanted to turn my tv but I guess when you mount it like art it comes in handy.