PDA

View Full Version : laminate flooring install question

Craig Zettle
05-26-2007, 8:52 AM
What would be the correct way to go from one room to another with laminate flooring? (total of 3 rooms) One room has a 31" wide opening to the adjoining room, the next a 60" opening. All are on the the same side of the house, separated by walls. I was wondering if I should finish each room independent of the adjoining room, cut the flooring straight across at the archway and lay a t-molding between each room, or not cut the laminate and just stagger it in to the next room for a continuous look. Plan B sounds better to me, but I was wondering if anyone tried that method and ran in to allignment problems from room to room.

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2007, 9:38 AM
Craig, I've never laid laminate, but did a house full of tile at the last house. I would think if you work off of the common long wall, if you will be laying the flooring parallel to that wall, you will be fine going through the door without any alignment issues. I would think that you'll want to work from that common wall (outside wall of the house?) through one room and then through the doorway as you finish that room, then work back to the common outside wall in the second room. In other words, laying the flooring in the shape of a "U" if looking at from above, and the wall between the rooms would be the space in the middle of the "U". Man this is hard to write about without props!!! Hope it makes sense. Jim.

James Stokes
05-26-2007, 1:53 PM
Acording to the specs on laminate flooring any opening under 48 inches should have t-moldings installed. There is to much stress on a single seam and you could have it break loose at the door.