PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520B Height question

Rob Leslie
05-26-2007, 8:41 AM
I have a 3520B coming and I plan to use a motorcyle jack to support the bed while attaching the legs during assembly. Unfortunately the jack only goes up to about 17", so there will be some gap that I'll need to build (or find) an appropriate spacer to go between the jack and the bed. My current plan is to make the spacer out of 2x4s and keep it (and the jack) so that when I need to move the lathe, I can just stick the jack/spacer under the lathe (centered), lift it slightly and then manuever it around on the jack wheels to the new location.

So, my question is: What is vertical distance between the bottom of the bed and the floor of your PM 3520? I assume most folks have the leg height adjusters pretty close to bottomed out.

Thanks,

Rob

roy knapp
05-26-2007, 9:16 AM
27" with the adjusters in place
I just got mine this month and love it as you will to. When i put the legs on i did it by myself and what i did was to put a 1/2" eye bolt thru the over head beam with large washers and a nut.
From the eye bolt i hung the come along and hooked it to the cables that i had around the webs between the ways on the lathe, i had made up two horses that were 27 3/4" high. i raised the lathe bed up with the come along(used a 1 ton), slid the horses under the bed and let the bed back down on them. (i never let the full weight of the bed on the Horses and keep the come along on ).

Now its just a mater of bolting the legs on and puting the Head stock, Banjo and Tail stock back on.:) :) :)

Harvey M. Taylor
05-26-2007, 10:23 AM
If it were me, I would put the spacer UNDER the jack. You have 2 swivel points with the spacer on the jack which is more likely to tilt and cause a problem.Anyway, that is how I would do it. Another point, if I may: lay the bed on its back on two sawhorses and attach the legs in the upside-down position. If the sawhorses are high enough when you roll it over you wont even need a jack. My opinion on how to do it, and it is free.

Dave MacArthur
05-26-2007, 1:14 PM
Possible solution to do it another way which might help you out with other machinery moves:
1 ton (2000#) shop crane with foldable legs, on sale at Harbor Freight Jun 1-3 for $99.

I bought one of these to move my Powermatic 66 around instead of a mobile base, after seeing it on The WoodWhisperer podcast:
http://blip.tv/file/get/TheWoodWhisperer-Episode15UpdatedShopTourLiveQAPt1578.flv

It stores in a fairly small area, and both my wife and my back have been thankful that I have it every time I need to unload some tool off my pickup. I was able to unload and set up my 8" DJ20 using almost just fingertip pressure etc.
Dave

Rob Leslie
05-26-2007, 5:47 PM
27" with the adjusters in place
I just got mine this month and love it as you will to. When i put the legs on i did it by myself and what i did was to put a 1/2" eye bolt thru the over head beam with large washers and a nut.
From the eye bolt i hung the come along and hooked it to the cables that i had around the webs between the ways on the lathe, i had made up two horses that were 27 3/4" high. i raised the lathe bed up with the come along(used a 1 ton), slid the horses under the bed and let the bed back down on them. (i never let the full weight of the bed on the Horses and keep the come along on ).

Now its just a mater of bolting the legs on and puting the Head stock, Banjo and Tail stock back on.:) :) :)

Thanks Roy. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.
1) What is the width of the bottom of the base (appears to be about 8 inches)?
2) How long is the power cord that comes with 3520? I've heard 6', but that sounds short.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

William Bachtel
05-26-2007, 8:00 PM
The cord is short, about 6 ft, I made a new 20 footer to supplement the short length. When I attached the legs to the bed I used sawhorses, it worked just fine, did it with the help of the wive. Sawhorses have to be build strong to hold lumber or lathes. You are going to like this machine its great.

Rob Leslie
05-26-2007, 8:18 PM
Bill,

What gauge wire did you use? Did you replace the original cord or build an extension?

Thanks,

Rob

Reed Gray
05-26-2007, 9:50 PM
You can assemble the legs to the bed upside down, then with the help of a burly friend or two, stand it right side up.
robo hippy

Richard Madison
05-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Rob,
If you are slightly height-challenged like me (5'-8"), might want to make some measurements before installing the screw-in feet (if they're similar to the Jet 1642 feet). After tapping out two of the holes and installing same, found it necessary to jack up the lathe again and remove the feet to get it down to my level. Could always shim the legs as needed with thin material. Justathought.