PDA

View Full Version : Hunter hollowing tool?

Bill Bolen
05-25-2007, 9:54 PM
I’ve been looking at the Hunter Hollowing tool on the Woodcraft site and have a question or two. Does the round grind on the front of the tool shaft give support to the cutter when in use? From the looks of it the shaft gives some kind of depth control. I’m intending to make my own chisel and use the hunter cutter, I’m thinking of using the 3/8” cutter mounted onto a longer shaft from 5/8” steel. I’m hoping the smaller cutter mounted to a thicker and longer shaft would give a bit more reach without being “grabby”. If you use the tool, how do you like it? Do you reach for it often or does it only get use in “special” situations? Just don't want to spend my hard earned $$ on another "miracle tool" that ends up being just another scraper. Thanks…Bill

Bob Jensen
05-26-2007, 7:11 AM
I am a close friend of Mike Hunter so i am biased, i have had the pleasure of using his tools before they are released and i have perhaps 15 of them. I can say that they have a very short learning curve, leave a finish that no other hollowing tool i have used can match and the cutter will last for a very long time. Many professionals, and big name turners now use Mike's tools and swear by them. I believe they will be the industry standard very soon.

bob

Bill Turpin
05-26-2007, 7:48 PM
We bought one (unhandled) at Louisville symposium. My wife hollowed over fifty maple, 2 inch diameter hand bell Christmas ornaments before we had to rotate the cutter for a new edge.She has the #3 tool. We recently bought a #1 tip and inserted it in a cheap Grizzly handle. These tools cut wonderfully without many catches. I would not attempt to make your own tip holder. The screw is at a slight angle that sets up the proper cut and the holder supports the edge. I plan to buy some more for handles with other angles. The rotation amount necessary to expose a new edge at the sweet spot was only about a sixteenth of an inch. Mike Hunter ships fast. Received order thirty-six hours later.

Bill in WNC mountains