PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

Ryan Cathey
05-25-2007, 3:27 PM
I know this is probably a long shot but I'm doing a total redo on a Type 11 3C and was wondering if anyone happened to have one in the box (it doesn't have to be corrugated of course). If you do (Clint? :confused: :D ) then I'd like to see some pics or you could always just send it my way;)

Ryan Cathey
05-25-2007, 3:35 PM
I should clarify. I'd like to see one in the box so I have a better gurantee to see mint condition, original features.

Zahid Naqvi
05-25-2007, 4:18 PM
You are correct, Clint is probably your best bet.

Clint Jones
05-25-2007, 7:26 PM
Ryan, No sorry I dont have a 5C in the box that is that old (I have a newer one). You might want to try Pat Leach I'm sure he knows where one is at. What do you need to know about the plane?? I can probably tell you anything about it. I have lots of old catalogues and such at my apartment. I am at my folks house right now but I'll check my archives tommorrow. Zahid I got your message I will shoot an email your way tonight or tommorrow.

Ryan Cathey
05-26-2007, 4:30 PM
I was wanting to know some asthetic stuff. Such as, what kind of sheen was on the metal parts and if the steel hardware was blued. I think it may have been because on the back of the frog adjuster tab it was blued. Thanks anyways.

Clint Jones
05-26-2007, 5:37 PM
Ryan,
A type 11 is blued on the back of the frog adjuster and chipbreaker nowhere else. The machining on the sides is finer than the newer type stanley planes when new. The lever cap will be nickel plated. It will be very hard to find a T11 in the original box even though it is a common plane. I believe the original box would be green. You are looking at paying around $300 for a plane this old mint.

Ryan Cathey
05-26-2007, 7:00 PM
I don't want a mint one. I just want to make this one look mint lol. I believe I bought this one for something like 30 dollars with shipping from some guy on the internet. It turned out to be border line horrible condition except the wood. It's almost to the repainting stage now!!

Ryan Cathey
05-27-2007, 2:31 PM
I've got another question. Were the top of the side rails painted?

Clint Jones
05-27-2007, 2:44 PM
No, Stanley never painted the top of their side rails.

Ryan Cathey
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
What about the little tab that the tote sits on? Also the front and back of the casting, as in the radiused part connected to the rails.

Clint Jones
05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes on the hump the tote sits on. No jappaning on the front radius on the plane. No jappaning on the rear unless it is a bench plane no.1-4

Ryan Cathey
05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I think we have a mis-understanding. I'm working on a number three. I mean the tab the tote sits on, not the hump. So there isn't jappaning on the fron but there is on the rear??

Clint Jones
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
none on front jappaning on the rear and the bottom of the tab the tote sits on. The jappaning on the rear doesnt extend to the top of the side rails. The easiest way to rejappan is to mask off the sides and bottom dont worry about the top of the rails ,front and rear, or where the frog sits. I use black engine enamel about 3 coats then bake it at a low temp for a few hours then a final two coats. once everything dries use a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the black finish from the sides and front. Then you can use a file to remove the black paint from the frog reciever on the bed, truing the area to ensure a nice tight fit between frog and bed. Here is a type 6 No.3 I rejappaned and cleaned up using the same process. Ryan, shouldnt you be in school not worring about planes????:D
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/billy_nutt/31.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/billy_nutt/33.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/billy_nutt/32.jpg

Ryan Cathey
05-29-2007, 1:19 PM
Thanks Clint. Now everything is clear!! Actually (regarding school)...School's out for summer!! (forgive the Alice Cooper quote there). Nice looking plane btw.

Ryan Cathey
05-29-2007, 1:47 PM
I thought I'd add that I'm trying something different on this plane. I used some "Rust to Black" primer that neutralizes all the rust and turns it black. I applied three light coats last night and will put on the actual topcoat of paint tonight.