PDA

View Full Version : computer reformat

Dave Rawn
05-25-2007, 2:22 PM
Has anyone reformatted a computer with XP on it:confused:. I need to get rid of all the junk on it that I don't need any more. The problem is all of the files that I need to make copies to be reloaded back on once it is reformatted. Any help would be great.

Dave

Joe Pelonio
05-25-2007, 2:41 PM
We did it several times on a lousy XP home one had, after the blue screen of death.

Actually, for what you are doing it seems a lot safer (but time consuming) to remove or delete what you don't need. Another option is to add a second hard drive for new files.

If you have a dvd drive it will allow you to back up way more files than a CD.
Well worth the expense if you don't have one, I think I paid $69 for mine.

Before you do it make sure you have all of the original system disks and the disks from all of the software because a reformat will wipe out EVERYTHING.

Jim Becker
05-25-2007, 2:44 PM
Several times...I give my computer a, umm...."cleanout" :)...about once a year. Back up your data files, downloaded application installation files, email, etc. on removable media. And consider doing it twice or at least confirming you can read the backups. Critical files should absolutely be backed up more than once and verified readable before you blow the machine away. Write down you

Have a list of applications you need to reinstall and confirm you have the media or the downloaded installation file on your backups. Be sure you also have any keys you need to install them. List EVERYTHING so you can check them off when re-installing. Check them again... ;)

Download and/or have ready any driver files you need for anything physically installed in/on your machine. If you only have the XP SP1 installation disks, try to obtain the SP2 update or a "slipstreamed" installation CD to save time and effort for your re-installation.

Only then should you start the re-format and re-installation of the OS. Once it's installed (as well as any necessary drivers) connect to the Internet and do all of the necessary updates for your operating system.

Reinstall your virus, spyware and firewall applications next and do any necessary updates.

After that, install your application files followed by restoring your data. You will likely have to manually re-configure your email client.

And then...try to figure out what you forgot... :D :D :D

Dave Rawn
05-25-2007, 4:19 PM
Sounds like a second hard drive would be the way to go. Like any thing else if something is going to go wrong it most likely will. thanks for your help

Dave:)

Chuck Wintle
05-25-2007, 4:59 PM
Sounds like a second hard drive would be the way to go. Like any thing else if something is going to go wrong it most likely will. thanks for your help

I will second what Jim said about backing up personal files and documents, as once those are lost they are gone for good. What I like to do is to have a list of all product keys and serial numbers when reinstalling software. Saves fumbling through the desk drawer amidst a pile of cd's.
Also a good idea to find and have on hand the driver disks for your motherboard, modem etc. If you plan on getting a second drive Seagate make a good drive with a good warranty(no affiliation).:D

David Epperson
05-25-2007, 5:01 PM

Might also look into the external hard drives. I picked up an 80Gig portable HD for less than $1 per Gig, I think it was around $70. Runs off of two USB ports.

glenn bradley
05-25-2007, 6:08 PM
I am not a PC guy but, being a Windows user at work, I have become accustomed to rebuilding my machine from scratch every 6 months or so (Windows leaves a messy trail behind itself and this is less time consuming than manually cleaning it up). Here's what I do:

Do a backup of all my data files to CD.
Place my latest backup on the shelf next to all those other backups that I've been faithfully doing weekly.
Make sure I have all the applications that I will want to re-install handy.
Boot my PC from my Windows installation disc.
When prompted, perform a full format of my Windows partition during the installation.
Install and update my anti-virus, go online and install all my other software.
Restore my data files from my latest backup.
Sit in amazement at how much faster my PC is now (this fades over time).

Jeffrey Makiel
05-25-2007, 8:07 PM
I second the recommendation to buy an external hard drive that uses a standard USB port. I bought a 250GB Cavalry external hard drive for under $100. It plugs into any computer. Great for backing up files, or moving large files from one computer to another. No special software is required. Just plug it in and use.

-Jeff :)