PDA

View Full Version : 45 degree miter with spline joint

Steve Roxberg
05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm going to do my first one this evening and would like any tips or warnings.

1. I have a Wixley angle gauge so I'm hopefull that setting the table saw blade to 45 degrees should be easy.

2. The spline will show so I'm planning on using Walnut which matches the side pieces.

3. Does the grain direction on the spline matter? I was planning on having follow the sides so that end grain is not visible on the spline itself.

Any tips or warnings?

Lee Schierer
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
For maximum strength you want the spline grain to run across the joint. This will be more difficult to make than just ripping a strip off the edge of a board.

For practical purposes, a thin strip ripped from the edge of a board should be strong enough for most joints.

Lee

Mike Henderson
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
If you don't want the spline to show, why not use a biscuit? It's quick and easy and holds essentially as well as a spline.

If you do decide to go with a spline, the grain should run across the joint for strength. If you run the grain along the joint, the spline can split along the joint.

Mike

Jim Grill
05-25-2007, 1:02 PM
Another tip: Make sure you have a blade that has square teeth and not staggered otherwise the bottom of the spline slot will look like a tiny "W".

Steve Roxberg
05-25-2007, 1:16 PM
If you don't want the spline to show, why not use a biscuit? It's quick and easy and holds essentially as well as a spline.

If you do decide to go with a spline, the grain should run across the joint for strength. If you run the grain along the joint, the spline can split along the joint.

Mike

I'm making a chess board case, the top is the chess board, and the box will hold the pieces. It's only 2 1/2 inches tall and I'm going to rip the top off after the fact. So any biscuit, would show. But otherwise I'd probaby just do a dovetail or some other joint.

Steve Roxberg
05-25-2007, 1:17 PM
Another tip: Make sure you have a blade that has square teeth and not staggered otherwise the bottom of the spline slot will look like a tiny "W".

Excellent point, and I have purchased the Forrest Woodworker II with the special grind for flat bottoms for this and box joints. I know what you mean about the ears that show up otherwise.