PDA

View Full Version : stearated

Howard Pollack
01-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Can someone tell me what "stearated" means as it refers to sandpaper, and is it something that is useful or troublesome for finishing work? Thanks- Howard

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2004, 1:15 AM
It is a dry lubricant applied to the sandpaper. It is supposed to prevent loading up. Me, I've never noticed much difference. Some people say that it inhibits bonding for water-borne finishes, but I've seen finish manufacturers specifically recommend it.

Ron Meadows
01-06-2004, 8:25 AM
Stearates are basically soap based lubricates to help keep sandpaper from loading up while sanding. Stearated paper works really well with solvent based finishes, but should be avoided when using water based.

Ron

Paul Smith
01-06-2004, 8:27 AM
Stearated sandpaper is also called no-load sandpaper. It is useful for rubbing out a finish when you don't want to use a lubricant. It helps to prevent the clogging (or "corning") of the paper. I've never heard of it interfering with future coats of finish. Personally, I prefer wet-or-dri with the appropriate lubricant. Either way, be careful not to cut all the way through the finish.

Todd Burch
01-06-2004, 8:42 AM
I use stearated paper, 220 grit 3M "FRE-CUT" for sanding between coats of lacquer. You can use it on bare wood, and sometimes when I'm lazy and don't want to walk to the sandpaper bin I will, but it doesn't last very long on bare wood.

It will still "korn" (or "corn") if you don't let the finish fully cure before sanding.

I've heard its "additive" as being both a soap and a salt - not sure which one, maybe different manufacturers use different ingredients.

Dean Baumgartner
01-06-2004, 1:43 PM
Sterates are modified fats usually used in soaps or lotions.

Dale Thompson
01-06-2004, 9:23 PM
Howard,
All I know about stearates is that they are used in certain dry chemical extinguishing agents to resist moisture absorption. How that applies to sand paper, I don't know. I just cut, assemble, sand, stain (sometimes), oil or varnish, get laughed at and, lastly, add another "trophy" to my scrap bin. :o :(

Dale T.