PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's" - Memorial Day Edition

Karl Laustrup
05-25-2007, 6:54 AM
Friday May 25th, 2007

I hope you all had a good week. The first holiday weekend of the summer season is upon us.

Weather is going to be a wee bit cooler than this past week. Only going to be in the high 60's low 70's with some rain possible. We'll take the rain as we've been very dry.

This weekend is for relaxing. Gonna play some golf Saturday and Sunday morning. Gotta watch the 500 and 600 Sunday. Monday we go to a neighboring town to watch the 7th grade band, that our grand daughter is part of, march in a parade. The rest of the time I'll play by ear.

So what's on your plate for the weekend? I hope it will be a time of joy and celebration which includes SAYING THANKS TO A VETERAN.

Play safe and have a good weekend.

Karl

Kyle Kraft
05-25-2007, 7:24 AM
I'm going to put my flag up and report for work. 3 twelves this weekend, double bubble on Sunday and three-ply on Monday:) . I'll be making products that improve the quality of life for many people and a few animals.

RickT Harding
05-25-2007, 7:32 AM
BBQ Saturday and the new (to me) jointer arrives Sunday. Monday the wife works and I should enjoying prepping stock on the jointer for building doors for my garage cabinet.

Oh, with a bunch of house cleaning to make the place "presentable" to the guests Sat.:(

Jim Grill
05-25-2007, 8:26 AM
LOML wants to go the Jersey shore and NYC this weekend since we're new to the area and both are within 1.5 hours from us. I'm sticking a flag in the flag holder on the garage shop and going to the beer store this afternoon.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit WW into the mix.

There is an independent WW store about 30 minutes from me called Woodworkers Haven http://www.woodworkershavenusa.com/. I want to go check it out Saturday morning. I've never been there.

I think I'll do a load of laundry and run the riding mower over the grass today to earn my little weekend diversion from the crowded tourist scenes. :D

Dan Gill
05-25-2007, 8:39 AM
Busy, busy weekend. I have my men's group tomorrow, my daughter has dress rehearsal for her annual dance recital, then church and the recital Sunday, followed by her Sheltie's first agility trial on Monday. Oh, and there is practice time for the agility trial this evening. I might get to finish some dresser drawers in between running around.

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2007, 8:51 AM
Tell your daughter good luck at the recital and the agility trial! LOML does agility with one of our irish and loves it. It's really fun to go and watch. Everyone pulls for everyone, and there is collective sound of dissappointment when a dog or handler faults out. Great group of people.
I'm going to either work on my little sprinkler system pump house, if the weather cooperates, or maybe work on the structure for the multi-station benches for the shop if it is too wet/rainey. Have to work Monday, just another day in the auto repair business. Have a great weekend all! Jim.

Tyler Howell
05-25-2007, 8:59 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed to the new place for the weekend. Got some of the stuff you recommended for the new tractor. Thanks I'll give it a try.
Guests will be visiting, meeting with new neighbors for a little relaxing.
Lots of projects in the garagemahal.
Pulling wire and bending pipe. A little demo on the master suite project.
Get home Tuesday, repack my bags and head out to Bullfrog UT. for a little cruising on lake powell.

Have a safe weekend

Al Willits
05-25-2007, 9:02 AM
We started our weekend on Wednesday, so far we've worked on the garden, golfed 18 holes, drove around looking for a new SUV, BBQ'd, went out to eat, and got some shop time in.
We're off for another round of golf this morning when it warms up a bit, and have been out moving the veggies around trying to get them into the sun before they freeze to death, it was 42 when we woke up and hoping the peppers make it...

Also got to do a bit of cleaning in the garage in between all that.
After golf and a bit of continued car shopping today, I'll be back in the garage this afternoon to do some more cleaning and maybe glue up the door panels for the storage cabinet I started about 3 years ago...least it seems that long ago..:)

Saturday we're hoping to get out for another round of golf and Beasty wants to hit the garden and thrift stores again, so Sunday and Monday will probably be recovery days, spent painfully moving around the garage cleaning....:D

Ya all have a safe and well holiday weekend.
Say thanks to a vet if ya see one.

Al

Dan Gill
05-25-2007, 9:25 AM
Thanks, Jim. I'll pass that along. This little dog of ours is good. She is FAST! I don't expect my daughter to win with her this time, since it's their first trial, but I wouldn't be too surprised, either.

Karl Laustrup
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed to the new place for the weekend. Got some of the stuff you recommended for the new tractor. Thanks I'll give it a try.
Guests will be visiting, meeting with new neighbors for a little relaxing.
Lots of projects in the garagemahal.
Pulling wire and bending pipe. A little demo on the master suite project.
Get home Tuesday, repack my bags and head out to Bullfrog UT. for a little cruising on lake powell.

Have a safe weekend

Hey Tyler. Seeing as how your deck is new, you should be able to put two coats on within a few hours. It dries pretty fast. I used a sponge brush and just tossed it after each coat.

Sure hope you get some pics of Lake Powell and how much it's down. I understand there are things that haven't been seen since they finished the dam and started filling the lake up. Have a good time. Wish I could go with. A week cruising around on the lake sounds mighty nice.

Karl

Nancy Laird
05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Looking forward to a busy weekend...four orders in-house now, but after what happened last weekend, I wouldn't be surprised at what or who might show up. Wine Festival at Balloon Fiesta Park this weekend (encompassing a craft show), so I'm going to try to get LOML out of the shop for a few hours...wonder if I can.:rolleyes: Veterans' Parade on Monday and ceremonies at the Veterans' Park - gotta get my veteran down there.

Thank you to ALL of our vets, and particularly to my honey.

Nancy

Jim Becker
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm going to enjoy being home from San Antonio where I just spent 5 days at the convention center...doing this and that. Maybe a little shop time, even!

Jim Becker
05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
There is an independent WW store about 30 minutes from me called Woodworkers Haven http://www.woodworkershavenusa.com/. I want to go check it out Saturday morning. I've never been there.

You'll enjoy your visit. Frank and John are really "good people", Jim. I've known them since the late 1990s and have done a bit of business over the years. In fact, prior to my move to Euro stuff, almost everything in my shop came from them.

Welcome to the 'Creek and to the Bucks County area!

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2007, 1:12 PM
Hey, Jim...does the San Antonio convention center still keep it cold enough to store raw meat? Last time I was there for a dog show, we froze our tails off. Our dogs, on the other hand, loved it! Jim.

Fred Voorhees
05-25-2007, 2:14 PM
Will be heading down to the Cape May, NJ area for the weekend to spend some time with my youngest Brother Mark and my Mom. Mark and I will be painting our Mothers barn structure type garage that was not done last Fall when the weather interfered. That will be Saturday AM's job. Then, hopefully, we will be hitting the water for either some salt water fishing in the suds or do some bass or pickeral fishing in the various nearby lakes. Will be coming home early Monday morning and taking in an annual picnic at a freinds house across the street from us, where there just so happens to be a nice bass pond. I am thinking of digging out my old fly rod and practicing with some poppers for some sunfish.

Fred Voorhees
05-25-2007, 2:17 PM
Jim Grill - - - just wanted to say welcome to the Creek and hopefully we can hook up some time since we are only about twenty minutes or so from each other. I'm across the Delaware and North up in Ringoes,NJ.

Andrew Williams
05-25-2007, 2:22 PM
The Sawstop installation and electric upgrade are finished so I am still getting used to the new TS. I have to work very late tonight but am hoping to have enough energy to do another chamfered drawer bottom tomorrow. Man do they take a lot of energy to plane! Could also be this darn cough. After that it's just a matter of making shiplaps and the thing will be finally ready for finishing. Oh and the lawn needs to be cut again :P

But I am really looking forward to being able to breathe enough to get on my bike again....maybe tomorrow.

Jim Becker
05-25-2007, 2:23 PM
Hey, Jim...does the San Antonio convention center still keep it cold enough to store raw meat? Last time I was there for a dog show, we froze our tails off. Our dogs, on the other hand, loved it! Jim.

Some rooms were quite chilly. The one I presented in at the end of the day on Wednesday was hot and humid...something wrong with the system. But I was prepared for "any indoor weather" as I uncharacteristically had a jacket on each day. :p

Bill Wyko
05-25-2007, 2:36 PM
I'll be trying to finish the new 12x20 workshop so I can get my lathe up and spinnin' again.:D

Bob Swenson
05-25-2007, 3:42 PM
Monday we honor our lost comrades of past and present wars with a ceremony at our Legion Post. After we will the join the Memorial Day parade that will end at the local cemetery. American flags have been placed at every Vet’s grave. We will end with speeches and prayer.

I will be reciting the poem “ In Flanders Fields the Poppies Blow” . It is the origin of the Poppies that we sell; please buy one in remembrance of the Vets that
gave their lives so that we may be free.

Bob Swenson, Commander Post 390, Denville NJ

Glenn Clabo
05-25-2007, 3:57 PM
"So while none of us should ever dodge a chance to take a break, spend some time with family and overeat a bit, we should also remember why we have the freedom to do it, even if it’s just on this single day at the end of May." Jack Jacobs

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2007, 5:53 PM
Dan, don't know why I didn't notice earlier that you were here in Ft. Worth. Who does your daughter train with? Where is the trial this weekend? Can't believe Glenna (LOML) didn't enter!:D Jim.

Dave Malen
05-25-2007, 8:18 PM
Jim,
I second what Jim B said. Frank and John are good people to deal with. Lots of supplies and machinary to look at.

Dave

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Howy Karl,

Gotta work at the day job on Saturday, play bass at church on Sunday, family time Sunday afternoon and evening. I do plan on getting in the shop some time this holiday weekend as I'm still working on the kitchen table project and teaching Joseph more about turning. That boy is already planning on buying himself a Jet Mini VS lathe by the end of summer.

Pay tribute to a local veteran. It's because of them that we are still a free nation.

glenn bradley
05-26-2007, 1:44 AM
I will give the shop a wide berth till I catch up on my neglected yard. Swapping out some bushes, trimming everything, mowing, etc. Then I can play. Monday is BBQ at the LOML's house down the street.

I wish everyone a good weekend.

Byron Trantham
05-26-2007, 8:25 AM
I will be working on a pantry for a client. I am looking forward to some great shop time!:)

Jesse Espe
05-26-2007, 9:21 AM
I'm on single parent operations this weekend with my son. LOML went to West Virginia for a family reunion with my daughter.

So, what to do? My boss gave me 4 days off, back on Wednesday! :D There's a local strawberry festival down the road, so we're going to give that a shot.

Last night, I snuck into the shop/garage when my son finally fell asleep, and realized why I get so behind in my projects, besides the overall lack of time. I'm building a simple shelf for my wife's preschool classroom. I wanted to use a keyhole bit that I bought but never had a chance to use until now. I was setting up the router table, but realized there was a pretty significant bow in the router table that I had never noticed before. Not enough support under the table around the lift. :mad: One of those "I should have thought about that when I was building it" moments. Chalk it up to my serious lack of experience at the time.

SO...I need to fix the router table before I move forward. Probably have about a half dozen more of those similar issues, but that is the one I'll focus on this weekend.

Most importantly, I'll be observing one of my favorite holidays, remembering my fallen brothers and sisters in arms. BBQ and good stories all around.

Cheers,
Jesse