PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Disassembly

John Mooney
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I have a closed frame Jet 6" jointer that I would like to disassemble to check, clean, and oil the gib railways but I can't figure out how to remove either of the tables from the railway pyramid base structure.

I've removed the cutting head, loosened all the gib screws, and have removed the bolts that attach the unit to the stand so that I can get access to bottom of the table.

Under each table, I see two nuts -- a really large but shallow nut and a smaller more standard looking nut. I've taken off the standard nut which looks to be the pivot mechanism but the bolt stays in place. I don't have a socket large enough to tackle the larger nut.

Any guidance would be much appreciated! No other tool has frustated me more and I'm on a quest to give it one last comprehensive tune-up effort before writing it off as a lemon. I did find that the fence has a .014" variation so I'm sure that has been contributing to my woes but I'm not going to bother ordering a replacement unless I can get the tables coplanner.

Thanks.
-- John

Tim Martin
05-25-2007, 1:03 AM
Hi John, not sure if this will help but here goes anyway.

I removed both of the tables on my old jointer to give the ways a good clean and a very light lap with a diamond hone.

The only thing that holds my tables on was the threaded adjusters that move each table up and down. All i did was unscrew them until you feel them come out of the thread and make sure you have something setup to catch the table if they are very heavy. Mine did not fall out as there was plenty of gunk and they needed some good persuasion to get free from the machine.

Hope this is of some help.

Tim Martin
05-25-2007, 1:05 AM
Here is a pic of it all back together and in a new mobile base.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2007, 7:49 AM
John.
The "Ball Crank" mechanism needs to be removed.
Invert the jointer on a bench top to get access to everything, even then it won't be easy. The Ball crank is preventing you moving the table up and forward, and the lead screw for the ball crank is preventing you moving the table down and back.The large bolthead you are seeing is holding the ball crank in place. You may need to only remove the leadscrew assembly to remove the table. I had to replace the Ball Crank so I had to remove everything.
With the tables inverted remove the jibs to give your self a little clearance, and some "wozzle room". Also remove the spring loaded table lock mechanism, or the jointer table(infeed table) will only move 1/8"
The tables slide away from the cutterhead, and downward to remove. With the tables inverted on a benchtop move the table away and lift the opposite table and cutterhead block.

John Mooney
05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Tim and Mike,

Thanks for the detailed responses and photos. I didn't have time today to try out your suggestions but I will tomorrow.

-- John