PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wax

Dean Baumgartner
01-05-2004, 11:29 PM
After having all of my tools in the damp basement for 3 years and getting them all cleaned up I applied Johnson's Paste Wax to all the bare metal. Really like how easily things slide on the tops now. My question is how often do you re-apply the wax?

Thanks for the advice.

Dean

Jim Becker
01-05-2004, 11:36 PM
About twice a year for me...sooner if I work with a lot of wet wood on a tool, such as cutting turning blanks at the bandsaw.

Dean Baumgartner
01-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks Jim,
What do you use?
I'm trying to get an idea about how long the wax should last.

Dean

Mark Singer
01-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi,
I am near the beach so I have a special problem. I have been using" TOP coat, 3 times a year on machinery . Paste wax on planes and I keep them in a drawer. If I display them...I'll get pitted surface
Mark

Mike Evertsen
01-06-2004, 12:39 AM
now that my shop is heated once a year,,,,,

Glenn Clabo
01-06-2004, 5:08 AM
Dean,
I live on an island so I use a dehumidifier all year round. It has pretty much eliminated the need for waxing to prevent rust. I still do it but not on a schedule.

David Rose
01-06-2004, 6:49 AM
As everyone has said, I think it needs to be done just before it needs it. That sounds kind of "trite", but it is really true. It varies with conditions. When I first started working with wood, I did it about once a month. I gradually decreased as I saw that rust wasn't developing. I most wax now when things start to feel kind of "draggy" on the tables. I usually use TopCote now for the convenience, but Johnson's works well too.

David

Lee Schierer
01-06-2004, 10:01 AM
I use Johnson's paste wax and do my table surfaces maybe 3-4 times per year, usually when I notice things are dragging a bit on the jointer, then I do the jointer, planer, drill press and table saw as long as I have the wax out.

I tried Boeshield T-9, but didn't like the stickiness that seems to develop if you don't get it all rubbed off.

Mike Kelly
01-06-2004, 10:02 AM
That is a difficult thing to judge. It really depends on the relative humidity and temperature swings you get. In the springtime here I can open the door to my shop (steel bldg) and my truck can look like I left it outside in the dew. I know then to go start waxing after bringing the temperature up some. The concrete floor in my shop doesn't have a moisture barrier and the floor can even sweat! I usually get by with 4 or 5 times a year. It will go all summer without needing it (May to Oct here). I was in shorts day before yesterday and it is 25 this morning, but dry. So I am still OK right now.

Jerry Todd
01-06-2004, 11:43 AM
After having all of my tools in the damp basement for 3 years and getting them all cleaned up I applied Johnson's Paste Wax to all the bare metal. Really like how easily things slide on the tops now. My question is how often do you re-apply the wax?

Thanks for the advice.

Dean

Dean,
As an Army Veteran let me give you a military answer. AS OFTEN AS NEEDED. ;)
I find Topcoat works best for me.

Dean Baumgartner
01-06-2004, 1:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like the best idea is a couple of times a year and more often if that nice slick feeling goes away.

I also think that if I'm doing one I might as well hit all at once.

Dean