PDA

View Full Version : How to build a dream shop for $6K

Aaron Hamilton
05-24-2007, 7:17 PM
Biggest Picture Gloat Ever to follow…

Up until a few weeks ago, I hobbled through my woodworking projects with a large collection of tools from Harbor Freight. Nothing against HF, but they don’t make the most accurate, powerful tools. So, after Jeffrey Schronce enlightened me to the wonders of Amazon tool shopping, I went NUTS! I had a budget that basically consisted of whatever I could get out of my tools plus about $1000 which put me at about a $6K budget. The things that weren’t on sale on Amazon, I waited for them to go on sale or looked for them used on craigslist, etc. Here’s my new shop, along w/ prices (Many pics to follow, along w/ a full shop tour following delivery of all items). All prices include shipping (most of which I got free). Needless to say, I've got to get building! There is hope for bargain hunters on a strict budget! Pictures and a shop tour soon to follow!

Sorry, I couldn't get the "table" to post - it's in a nice little Exel file. Anyone know how to post a formatted table in the forum?

Ned Bulken
05-24-2007, 7:23 PM
impressive list of tools $6k

spacebarforlist Priceless!

:D

congrats, looking forward to pics.

Mark Hoffman
05-24-2007, 7:44 PM
that's awesome!!!

Bartee Lamar
05-24-2007, 8:03 PM
How did you hit the sales on Amazon?

I know they have really great sales that seem to exist for a short time.

Any method to your shopping?

Nice Hall, now you gotta have a place to put them all.

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 8:06 PM
Congratulations Aaron. I'm definately looking forward to the pictures.

Paul Snowden
05-24-2007, 8:09 PM
Craigslist is where I got my jointer. A person can find some great deals if you keep your eyes open.

Aaron Hamilton
05-24-2007, 8:22 PM
There are a few guys, mainly Jeffrey Schronce, who post deals when they see them on Amazon. There is also another forum w/ a section completely devoted to "Bargain Alerts", it's a good place to look and Jeff basically runs that part of the forum. They usually just last a few hours and as Jeffrey says, "You just have to keep your ear to the ground". It's really a craps shoot, but when you can hit 'em right, they are usually HUGE savings. My table saw was the best deal I have EVER seen on Amazon - to get a 3HP Jet w/ 50" rails and an Xacta Router Lift for $830 is insane, but I'm very excited about it!

As far as space is concerned. :) I am lucky enough to have a 40X60 metal building w/ heat and air and a dedicated finishing room. I try not to say that bragginly, but yeah...it's a sweet space. I'm still getting used to it as I have only owned the property for about 6 months. Thus, the ability to acquire the new toolage!

glenn bradley
05-24-2007, 8:36 PM
That rocks Aaron. Congrats. I'm green over the jointer and planer.

Phil Thien
05-24-2007, 8:42 PM
Dust collector?

Aaron Hamilton
05-24-2007, 8:48 PM
I knew it...somebody called me out on the dust collector. I have a little side fund setup and I'll be ordering a 5HP clearvue cyclone as soon as everything is in. I want to get an idea of everything I'll need to buy first for the ducting setup.

Jim Grill
05-24-2007, 9:30 PM
Awesome! Nice deals and excellent research.

I must have about two dozen of those spread sheets on my computer.

TableSawAndRouterTable.xls
JointerAndPlaner.xls
JointerOnly-bcz-swmbo-sez.xls
BandSawOptions.xls
DustCollectorAndPlumbing.xls
ShopVac-bcz-swmbo-sez.xls

I can't recall even one of those spreadsheets ever materializing the way I'd so meticulously planned. :)

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2007, 9:46 PM
I knew it...somebody called me out on the dust collector. I have a little side fund setup and I'll be ordering a 5HP clearvue cyclone as soon as everything is in. I want to get an idea of everything I'll need to buy first for the ducting setup.

Good choice! Are you going to use PVC or metal for ducting. I see you have the Okie State emblem for your avitar, and the GO POKES on your signature, so I guess you went to OSU??:D If you are in the OK, TX, AR, LA, NM area still, you can get the 6" PVC pipe at Morrisons. They are based in the City, and have locations in the above states. I got mine from them here in Ft. Worth.
Let me know when you get the Clear Vue in, and I'll send you a list of things I found helpful when installing it. Jim.

Aaron Hamilton
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Jim,
I'm actually an Okie transplant (yes I did go to OSU), but now I live east of Dallas in Royse City. That's great news on the 6" S&D, I've been reading up on Bill Pentz's web site. I could use any help you'd give when I'm setting up the swirly beast.

Aaron Hamilton
05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
As a matter of fact, Jim, if you are over this way around the time the swirly beast is being installed, you should stop by and see the shop!