PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Owners

Nigel Morgan
05-24-2007, 5:09 PM
Hi all,

I have some play in my X rail bearing, (the lens and mirror carrier), actually get some vibration causing the wave effect on my engraving at certain speeds, belt and everything else OK, I can measure the slack/wear with a clock, the bearings are definatley loose. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I am loosing some work at the moment because of this, as I'm based in New Zealand Epilog seem reluctant to send a replacement rail assembly over, I am presuming this item has a lifetime gaurantee as they are "Neverwear trade mark". My laser is only just over 1 year old and as I worked in Ausralia for 3 Months last year has certainly not had a full years work done on it.

Cheers

Nigel

Frank Corker
05-24-2007, 7:10 PM
Scott Shepherd had exactly the same problems. PM him about the final upshot of it all, his is also a Helix. I have ZERO sideways movement on mine, maybe there is an issue, after all that's two in 5 days.

Scott Shepherd
05-24-2007, 9:00 PM
Nigel, what type of material are you getting the wave pattern on? Everything, or just reverse engravable or clear acrylics?

Any chance you can post a photo of exactly what you're speaking about in regard to that issue?

I'll be happy to share what little I know with you. I have a brand new I-beam sitting in the floor. It didn't solve my issues, so I took it off and boxed it back up and put the original one back on (3 months old and used gently as well).

Feel free to email me at steve (at) customengravingandsigns (dot) com. I can send you photos of the issues I have gone through.

Nigel Morgan
05-24-2007, 9:15 PM
Hi,

I get the wave effect/pattern on everything from wood to marble, only when raster engraving at about 20%-30% speed, there is an audible rattle noise from the bearings at this speed. When the belt is disconnected I can feel the friction so to speak from the bearings. Emailed Epliog this morning who told me to contact the reseller, who told me to contact Epilog the other day, peolple presume we are on another planet in New Zealand.

Neal Schlee
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Someone needs to tell Epilog, there's no such thing as a "Never Wear" Bearing. Everything mechanical wears!

Neal

Nigel Morgan
05-25-2007, 5:58 PM
I am proof of the pudding so to speak, they often say these things have zero backlash which is also incorrect, on larger CNC machines the backlash is compensataed for in the parameters, gone off track here now. Nobody contacted me at all yersterday, I have some work to do over the weekend which I will now loose as the delivery date is blown.

Scott Shepherd
05-25-2007, 6:35 PM
Just emailed you a response Nigel. I'm heading to work now to email the photo I apparently left off. Give me 30 minutes (I see you're online).

Nigel Morgan
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the photos and the video, it does seem the problem you have is simular to mine, I hope Epilog helps me out of this one.