PDA

View Full Version : panel raising bit question

brandon guthrie
05-24-2007, 5:06 PM
I am using a bosch 3.5" panel raising bit in a bosch 1617 evs 2.25 hp router on walnut and am having no luck. Even when I take very light passes (1/32"-1/16") at the lowest speed (8,000 rpm) the bit acts as though it doesn't want to cut and the panel wants to raise up. Is this bit just too big? I am using featherboards, but the downward pressure seems excessive. Would I have more luck using the bit a full height and using the fence to gradually work up to full pass? Sorry so long, thanks for advice

Jay Keller
05-24-2007, 5:49 PM
I am using a bosch 3.5" panel raising bit in a bosch 1617 evs 2.25 hp router on walnut and am having no luck. Even when I take very light passes (1/32"-1/16") at the lowest speed (8,000 rpm) the bit acts as though it doesn't want to cut and the panel wants to raise up. Is this bit just too big? I am using featherboards, but the downward pressure seems excessive. Would I have more luck using the bit a full height and using the fence to gradually work up to full pass? Sorry so long, thanks for advice
Sounds odd. I would thing you would be ok. I assume your bit center or bearing are past the material edge and not pushing up against it?
I normally use the fence technique you mention so that I dont have to mess with the bit height once its set. But also not to have to mess with the fence adjustment, I set the fence to final and then use shims between material and fence to incrementally move the material towards the cutter about 1/4" at a time.

brandon guthrie
05-24-2007, 8:19 PM
any other ideas?

glenn bradley
05-24-2007, 8:45 PM
Not to be silly but you are passing left to right, correct? It almost sounds like you're climb cutting with a dull bit. There is definitely something odd going on here, hmmmm . . .

The bit should have no trouble removing that little of material. At 1/16th you would feel very little resistance even without feather boards. As Jay said; I would be sure your material is only coming into contact with the cutter edge and not climbing up the bearing or anything like that. Use a piece of scrap pine or something soft to test.

The bearing should be flush with the fence so that if you slide a piece of material along the fence at bearing height it touches the bearing just barely enough to make it turn.

Ben Grunow
05-24-2007, 9:06 PM
Crazy grain or a big knot? Try another board?

Jake Helmboldt
05-24-2007, 9:35 PM
Not to be silly but you are passing left to right, correct?

Errr, don't you mean right to left? Left to right would be climb cutting (in a router table).

brandon guthrie
05-24-2007, 9:41 PM
Yeah I am feeding the board the right way. I am kind of leaning on maybe there is something wrong with the bit. It is brand new, of good quality (bosch) but I tried different scrap hardwoods with similar results. I also tried setting the bit to correct height and using the fence to meter the cut size, same results. The bit acts as though it is spinning to fast (burning) but it is at 8,000 rpm. Maybe it is dull from the factory?

John Myers
05-24-2007, 9:45 PM
Yes, I was just going to say that - right to left (facing the router table).

John

Eugene A. Manzo III
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Geez Brandon I thought you were using "A Panel RAISING Bit" :D .
Check Router speed move speed wheel in both directions see if in fact motor does speed up and slow down. Make sure bit is staying in place.
Does it have an undercutter ? Is that assembled correctly ?

brandon guthrie
05-24-2007, 11:20 PM
No I am not using a back cutter

glenn bradley
05-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Errr, don't you mean right to left? Left to right would be climb cutting (in a router table).

Yes I do Jake. Thanks for catching that. I'm a little under the weather. Apparently not the best time to give advice.

Thanks again,

Glenn

brandon guthrie
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Just thought I would give an update. After contacting bosch tech support we both agreed that the new bit was the culprit. I exchanged it and used it tonight, man what a difference. I believe that the carbide cutter was brazed on at an incorrect height or the angle it was sharpened at was wrong. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

glenn bradley
05-26-2007, 1:34 AM
Just thought I would give an update. After contacting bosch tech support we both agreed that the new bit was the culprit. I exchanged it and used it tonight, man what a difference. I believe that the carbide cutter was brazed on at an incorrect height or the angle it was sharpened at was wrong. Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Great news Brandon. Glad it got squared away.