PDA

View Full Version : advice on Beall bouwl buffs?

Bill Bolen
05-24-2007, 2:47 PM
I’m going to finally get the Beall bowl buffs. Most of the bowls I turn are in the 5” to 10” range with a few up to 14” and a few smaller than 3”. I’m thinking the 3” size of bowl buffs would suite my working range better than the 2” size. Any recommendations? I’ve never used them or seen them in use so I’m thinking the 2” might be too small. I can only afford one size. Thanks in advance! Bill

Lee DeRaud
05-24-2007, 3:02 PM
Most of my stuff is that size (or smaller) and the 3" work fine. Maybe one piece a month is small enough or has an odd enough shape inside that I can't get to all of it...I might pick up a set of the 2" if it ever becomes a real issue.

What I'd really like to find is some buffing wheels in the 4"-6" range to use inside larger pieces. The shape of the Beall buffs (which are really intended for goblets IMHO) means they are annoyingly small when you're working on the bowl with a relatively flat bottom.

Bob Hovde
05-24-2007, 3:35 PM
I use both sizes and like the 3" best. The smaller version turns into a hard ball quickly (but still kind-of works). If you're doing something smaller than the 3" fits, you can buff it by hand.

Bob

Dave Carey
05-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Bill,
Thanks for asking the question; it's one I was about to ask as well. I bought the 2" size and mounted them on an old motor that turns 1725 rpm. They're OK for the sides of most of the bowls I've made but don't work well on the bottoms. In fact, yesterday the buff scarred the bottom of a piece I was planning to give as a gift last night.
To anyone - Is there a technique I've missed? Are bigger buffs the answer? Do those smaller wheels that Lee described exist? Thanks

Keith Burns
05-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I would go with the 3" as well. I started out with the 2" and found they are so small and tightly woven that they are not very effective.