PDA

View Full Version : Soundproof Drywall

Roland Chung
05-24-2007, 2:25 PM
Has anyone used this product yet?

http://www.quietsolution.com/index.html

I haven't used this, but I thought that it might be helpful to anyone that needs extra help with noise from the shop. It's expensive, but for smaller applications - like the cyclone closet - it might be worth looking into.

Maybe by the time I really need to decide we'll get some feedback on this new product.

Thanks in advance!

RC

Merle Clor
05-24-2007, 7:31 PM
Roland,
Like you, I have no experience with this product, but I am very interested. I just reviewed Jim Becker's dust collector closet construction for a closet I will build later this year. Jim's solution looked to be simple and effective. Take a look if you are interested.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6983&highlight=closet

Good luck,
Merle

Andrew Williams
05-24-2007, 9:37 PM
This is my former business, so I am still involved in recording and studio engineering. I would not buy this stuff unless you did not have space for multiple layers of real sheetrock. Sounds difficult to cut. I also assume that it is geared toward stopping middle and high frequencies mainly, since the middle layer is dampening polymer, and not massive. Acoustilead might make a good addition but it costs darn near the quietrock cost as well.

I will not post a link but recommend you look at the forums at gearslutz and search for quietrock. It has not gotten much positive feedback from the pros. I believe this is due to the high cost of it and that it is likely it would not be effective at stopping low frequencies unless you added mass to it. Also one layer of sheetrock is very hard to decouple, since you have to drive screws all the way through.

All of the acoustic texts that I have seen point to decoupled mass as being the only way to stop the transfer of low frequency sound energy. The inclusion of dampening polymers will certainly help, but I just don't see it doing what they say and replacing 8 layers of sheetrock.

Jim Grill
05-24-2007, 9:51 PM
I know where Andrew is coming from. I did some recording when I was in my 20's with a rock band and followed recording and sound for many years after as a hobby.

I do slightly disagree about the decoupling in this particular situation because most power tools are going to be high mid range to just plain high range. Sonic decoupling is required for bass frequencies, which tend to travel easily through solids, but not completely necessary for high mids and highs.

I think it really depends on how quiet you need to be. Running a planer in a town home would require major renovations to keep the neighbors happy while insulating the garage so you don't wake up the neighbors at 3am when you can't sleep until that last board is milled is a different story.

My band used to practice in a converted garage with a wall-inside-a-wall concept with two layers of heavy fiberglass insulation. When you stood outside all you heard was the bass guitar and the drums. If you went inside you'd need ear plugs to keep the guitars and the screechy singer from blowing your ear drums!

Those were the days. :rolleyes: