PDA

View Full Version : Update on Kitchen Remodel

Gilbert Vega
05-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought I'd post some pics of the drawers I made for my kitchen. Getting close to finishing with "just" the raised panel doors and drawer fronts left.

cutlery drawer
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/Picture013.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/Picture012.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/Picture014.jpg

spice drawer
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/DSCN0719a.jpg

Ed Falis
05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
You're setting a high standard there, Gilbert. I'm still cutting, finishing and machining box parts myself. Beautiful drawers (as well as the rest of what I see there).

What's the drawer box material?

- Ed

Larry Fox
05-24-2007, 1:32 PM
Gilbert - outstanding work. Having recently finished a kitchen project myself I can appreciate the amount of work involved.

I can also see that no expense was spared - dovetails, full extension drawer slides. This is also the first tiger-maple kitchen drawers that I have ever seen. Well done.

Can you share some details about the finish that you used as it looks to be very low-build on the face-frames.

Once again - very, very nice!!!

Gilbert Vega
05-24-2007, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. As far as the box material it is curly (tiger) maple that I bought from the reject pile ($2.80/bft) at a local cabinet shop. It appears that customers don't like the look of curly maple in their cabinets.:confused: The boards are normally 6 - 9" wide and about 12' long. He sends all of that back to his supplier(???).

We've tried to upgrade where ever we could. The granite counter top is something we've wanted for quite a while as where the upgraded appliances. The biggest effort was going from a 30" cooktop to a 36" one which required a redesign of the kitchen.

I('m amazed that you could spot the low-build finish. It is actually wipe-on poly that I can replenish as needed. My shop (garage) doesn't allow for a sprayed on finsih.

ROY DICK
05-24-2007, 2:05 PM
That is really good looking Gilbert. Congrats on a job well done. Keep it up.

Roy

Larry Fox
05-24-2007, 2:12 PM
I('m amazed that you could spot the low-build finish. It is actually wipe-on poly that I can replenish as needed. My shop (garage) doesn't allow for a sprayed on finsih.

Finishing is something that I find myself very interested in and spend a lot of time reading about and tinkering with here of late (which does NOT in any way mean that I am good at it). It tends to be the very first thing I look at.

Personally, I can't imagine ever uttering the words "I don't like tiger maple". Oh well - their loss is your gain.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-24-2007, 3:07 PM
Gilbert,
The inside of your cabinets look better than the outside of mine!
Nice job...Jeff :)

Jim Grill
05-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Gilbert,
The inside of your cabinets look better than the outside of mine!
Nice job...Jeff :)

No kidding. I can't wait to see what he does to the outside.

Looks awesome!

I wonder if there are any silly people tossing out good looking lumber in my area. The thought of going to cabinet shops and begging for scraps has crossed my mind, but I never imagined...

Ed Falis
05-24-2007, 3:13 PM
That tiger maple was definitely a score. Keep the pictures coming as you come to completion. Very inspiring work for those of us who are earlier in the process.

Gilbert Vega
05-24-2007, 3:24 PM
No kidding. I can't wait to see what he does to the outside.
The thought of going to cabinet shops and begging for scraps has crossed my mind, but I never imagined...

The outside may end up being a step down since I plan on using Quarter-Sawn Red Oak for the fronts. I wanted to use Cherry or maybe Maple but the LOML insisted on Oak since she likes the look of Oak.

You might want to check out nearby shops. They may have curly maple at low prices as well. Aside from the Curly Maple, they have tons of ripped stock that is excellent for stickering wet boards.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan Gill
05-24-2007, 3:48 PM
Gilbert, where in Texas are you that you can get curly maple from the reject pile? I might just have to make a drive for that . . .

I had a similar experience at Barney Robinson hardwoods here in Fort Worth. I was getting some hard maple, and the guy helping me set a nice curly board aside, saying, you don't have to take that one. I jumped on it. I only wish he'd had more.

Gilbert Vega
05-24-2007, 5:49 PM
Dan, I live in Corpus Christi. I normally have to wait about 2 - 3 weeks while he goes through a large pallet of wood. Last month he sent back close to 80 boards.

I've been going there so much that he has set aside boards for me. My guess is he probably gets a much lower bulk price but it's only fair that he tacks on a little to the price.

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 8:22 PM
First of all, Gilbert, those drawers are fandastic. I don't dare show this thread to the LOML. She'd expect the same in her kitchen.

Second, you found a "gold mine" with that wood source. You'd best keep his location a well guarded secret. I can already invision those near Corpus Christi souuring the "reject piles" at all the local cabinet shops in town.:eek: Unless it's grown greatly, it's a fairly small town.;) :D

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 8:56 PM
Gilbert, the kitchen is beautiful, and the drawers especially nice. However, I need to throw some cold water on the location of your spice drawer. :( According to everything I've ever read and heard, being near a heat source will degrade and/or destroy the quality of herbs, such as oregano, parsley, etc.

See: http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/herbs.html

"Store the herbs in airtight jars in a cool, dry place. If the entire stems were dried, remove the leaves and crush or crumble them in jars. The herbs must be completely dried or they will form mold. Keep the jars away from light and heat, as both will destroy the quality of the herbs."

Having your spice/herb drawer directly under the burners of your cooktop may not have been the best thing to do, IMHO. Sorry.:(

Nancy

Gilbert Vega
05-25-2007, 1:11 AM
We have checked the underneath of the heat sheild and it stays fairly cool. Your concern has me wooried about it. I have a remote digital thermometer that I will install in the drawer and will monitor the temperature directly when we cook. I have the option of movin it to a nearby drawer if it is a problem. Will report later. Thanks for the advise and comments.

Gilbert

Tyler Howell
05-25-2007, 9:39 AM
Love the kit. Gil.
What a wonderful surprise everytime you open the drawers.
Well done.

Dan Gill
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I need an excuse to go to Corpus anyway . . .