PDA

View Full Version : The Grass is Growing and Yard Work is Mounting

Boyd Gathwright
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
The Grass is Growing and Yard Work is Mounting

....I don't know about you all but this year has started off with a BANG. The grass is just jumping, I no sooner get it cut and swept and it's time to do it all over again. The outside yard work has severely put a crimp in my style, as far as shop work goes. This year I purposely put off planting the garden until later because last year we had a sudden frost and it stunted the growth on just about every plant. This year came close but NOT quite. We did plant quite a few trees for wind brakes and cleared and cut a large amount of brush this year which was not the norm. Had 2 flat tires on the large mower and broke a high dollar belt on the secondary mower and bent a shaft on one of the push mowers, so far. Can't buy or update any mowing equipment because if I do that means I can't buy any woodworking gear, tough dilemma.

.... So how has this year's grass and yard work treated you? I know some of you don't have quite as much grass to cut nor garden to plant as I do. Has the grass in your area been jumping like weeds too, like it has in mine? Has it cut into you shop time, BIG time? How are your mowers holding up or maybe you bought a NEW one? Put any grass seed or fertilizer or weed killer down (if you did, I'll bet that was fun when it came time to cut )? Or maybe you haven't started the season yet? Any comments or is everyone going to take the holiday weekend off?

.... Here's to a safe holiday no matter what you may be doing or how you celebrate it.

:)

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
The upside of an extreme drought is no grass to cut. The downside is no purty flowers either. Moved to a condo six years ago because I was tired of cutting an acre of grass and raking oak leaves. So, I will be sunning by the pool this weekend!:D Hope you have a great holiday! During the holiday weekend last year, in a neighboring town, a lady was arrested for riding her horse while under the influence of alcohol. Can't wait to see what this year's entertainment will be. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey Makiel
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Here in New Jersey, the grass is really kicking into gear. However, it does not seem to be growing as aggressively as it had in past years. Perhaps it's because I'm late on putting down fertilizer. I still have not planted all the flowers yet!

In April, we had a bad storm that dumped over 7" of rain. Between cleaning up my mother's basement and tending to outdoor chores, I've not been in my shop for over a month.

-Jeff :)

Boyd Gathwright
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
.... Hope you haven't lost the key to your shop :D!!

Here in New Jersey, the grass is really kicking into gear. However, it does not seem to be growing as aggressively as it had in past years. Perhaps it's because I'm late on putting down fertilizer. I still have not planted all the flowers yet!

In April, we had a bad storm that dumped over 7" of rain. Between cleaning up my mother's basement and tending to outdoor chores, I've not been in my shop for over a month.

-Jeff :)

Joe Pelonio
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Beautiful sunny day today, supposed to be mid-70s, very unusually warm and dry for this time of year here. No frost here since March.

Too bad I have to work but at least I can see it out the windows now that the shop is at home, nice blue skies, still a bit of white on the mountain tops.

The lawn needs mowing once one a week now, two would be better but no way I'll do it that often. One of these days I'll have time to sharpen the blade, it's way overdue. I've planted tomatoes, squash and cucumbers, they're all doing fine so far, and beans from seed that haven't come up yet.

Phyllis Meyer
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm one of those women that actually don't mind getting on that lawn mower (I think I can solve the world's problems at those moments in time). I ran out of gas and grabbed the 5 gallon gas can and went down to the gas station. I also grabbed a $10 bill and off I went. I proceeded to fill up my can and knew I didn't want to reach the top because it might spill out...

I got to the counter and the clerk said: "$17.89 please":eek: I looked at her and said, "I'll be right back, I live right down the road, you can keep my gas/can..." I also put gas in my car so I do know how much gas costs, it was just one of those "duh" moments!! Happy lawn mowing, enjoy the weekend, remember our troops!
Phyllis:)

Leigh Costello
05-24-2007, 1:07 PM
The other night I finally conceded that spring is here in Missouri, thus making it safe to plant my tender annuals. While prepping the flower bed, and creating enormous blisters on my palms, I was pondering a bigger flower bed. Soon I was finished using my garden claw and it was time to plant. While on my knees and humming and planting and contemplating my world, I felt something move in the dirt. Being particularly wimpy about creepy-crawlies, I shot straight up and onto the porch ( now remember I am partially disabled with a tendency to list when walking). There were untold fantastical creatures in my dirt. ( Two or ten or twenty ringneck snakes ) Once I had established the little worm-eaters were moving on, I finished planting and hid the garden tools. No more planting for me!

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2007, 1:21 PM
Moved to a condo six years ago because I was tired of cutting an acre of grass and raking oak leaves.

What? Only 1 acre to mow? How about riding a mower to cut 3.1 Acres of grass. I can tell you one thing....a 39" cut mower deck didn't satisfy me one bit....9 hours of riding to cut the grass ONCE. Sold it, upgraded to a JD 48" cut, V-Twin Water-Cooled, power everything. Now it's only 2.5 hours for mowing the grass. Maybe I need to upgrade again to something like a 60" mower-deck. :rolleyes: :D

Be safe and have fun everyone!!!!

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 1:26 PM
Dennis, you need to teach those kids of yours to drive that mower so you can spend more time in the shop!!!

We have a little patch of grass in the back yard that takes LOML about 15 minutes to mow and trim with our Lawn Boy. The rest of the "yard" is rock and desert plants. But he managed to put some weed 'n feed on it about 3 weeks ago and it's growing like...um...weeds. If there were just some way that we could keep the real weeks with thorns and stickers on them out of the rock part, we'd be fine.

Nancy

Tyler Howell
05-24-2007, 1:43 PM
T So, I will be sunning by the pool this weekend!:D :rolleyes:

Belinda You know the rules, Pictures.:rolleyes: :o :D
Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually looking forward to mowing the grass.
Going to try out my new Bota for the first mowing task this weekend.
I pay a guy to do my small city lot. But I think I'm going to like mowing the 3.5 acres of the new place.

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2007, 1:57 PM
Well Dennis, it was an acre with a push mower! What you need is a lawn guy!;)

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2007, 2:06 PM
Belinda You know the rules, Pictures.:rolleyes: :o :D

OK Tyler, pics to follow on Tuesday. Here is a pic from our first official pool day in late March. I'm the second from the right - in case you have trouble picking me out!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61209&d=1175009884

Brad Schmid
05-24-2007, 3:23 PM
Grass is growing good here in Southeast Texas. Between Chemlawn, lots of sunshine, and just the right amount of rain, I'm mowing tall grass twice a week. On the good side though, back in January I replaced the old rider with a new ZTR. Cut my normal mowing time from 1 1/2 hrs down to 30 minutes, and the new machine doesn't care if the grass is 4 inches or a foot, it never slows down. That means more shop time for me:D

For the weekend, I'm rebuilding our backyard fishpond and digging out to extend the patio and a few other minor chores, so I get to rent me a toy (mini backhoe/frontloader) for a day. So, cutting in to the shop time for now, but not for long.

Joe Mioux
05-24-2007, 8:43 PM
What? Only 1 acre to mow? How about riding a mower to cut 3.1 Acres of grass. I can tell you one thing....a 39" cut mower deck didn't satisfy me one bit....9 hours of riding to cut the grass ONCE. Sold it, upgraded to a JD 48" cut, V-Twin Water-Cooled, power everything. Now it's only 2.5 hours for mowing the grass. Maybe I need to upgrade again to something like a 60" mower-deck. :rolleyes: :D

Dennis, Upgrade to some goats. :)

Like some famous person once said " I feel your pain." Last week, I filled up my lawm mower. It cost me $32.00!

I think I am going to switch over to my New Holland Boomer diesel tractor. I have a 6 foot Brush Hog Finish Mower on it.

Joe

Gary Herrmann
05-24-2007, 8:57 PM
1 ac is enough to mow. 'Course I only have a 38" deck. What I really dread is mulching the beds. We have a lot. Two years ago, it took 20 yards to mulch them all at 1.5" deep.

Maybe I'll hire someone this year so I don't blow a whole weekend shoveling, wheelbarrowing and spreading...

Jim Becker
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
The grass is growing more than I prefer...business travel combined with a hydraulic leak messed with my "schedule". So the lawn is still getting cut at 4" until I can get a week that I can do two cuts. And the ground is still very soft in places which doesn't help matters...so much concentrated rain every once in awhile just hasn't let things dry normally.

Boyd Gathwright
05-25-2007, 12:13 AM
.... Brad, what kind / size of a ZTR did you get :)? Any pics ;)? sounds substantial :cool:.

Grass is growing good here in Southeast Texas. Between Chemlawn, lots of sunshine, and just the right amount of rain, I'm mowing tall grass twice a week. On the good side though, back in January I replaced the old rider with a new ZTR. Cut my normal mowing time from 1 1/2 hrs down to 30 minutes, and the new machine doesn't care if the grass is 4 inches or a foot, it never slows down. That means more shop time for me:D

For the weekend, I'm rebuilding our backyard fishpond and digging out to extend the patio and a few other minor chores, so I get to rent me a toy (mini backhoe/frontloader) for a day. So, cutting in to the shop time for now, but not for long.

Brian Elfert
05-25-2007, 2:00 AM
I need to mow my lawn badly. A combination of applying weed killer during a few dry days last week and rain this week means the grass is really getting long.

I'm in Minnesota and have only mowed once to date.

Brian Elfert

Jason Roehl
05-25-2007, 9:11 AM
OK Tyler, pics to follow on Tuesday. Here is a pic from our first official pool day in late March. I'm the second from the right - in case you have trouble picking me out!

For some strange reason, Beach Boys tunes are floating through my head now...

"Two girls for every guy..."

and

"I wish they all could be Savannah, Georgia girls..."
:D

Maybe there could be an SMC calendar... ;)

Belinda Barfield
05-25-2007, 9:38 AM
For some strange reason, Beach Boys tunes are floating through my head now...

"Two girls for every guy..."

and

"I wish they all could be Savannah, Georgia girls..."
:D

Maybe there could be an SMC calendar... ;)

LOL . . . Well, at least you got some good tunes in your head! A calendar, now that could be interesting. Maybe we can get some of those funny guys over on the Turner's form interested in posing - seems like they'll go for about anything! ;) :D By the way, three of the ladies in the photo are single. I'll see if I can find some more interesting photos to post - you know, photos of tools and things like that! :p

Tyler Howell
05-25-2007, 9:47 AM

Oooooweee :eek: said with the utmost of respect.
Thank you very much for the day brightener:D .
I'd like to put in a request for less lawn mowing and more pool time please.
Remember your sun screen.

Belinda Barfield
05-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Oooooweee :eek: said with the utmost of respect.
Thank you very much for the day brightener:D .
I'd like to put in a request for less lawn mowing and more pool time please.
Remember your sun screen.

I'll be glad to share your sentiments with the ladies! I always use my sunscreen. Our condo complex is very near Armstong Atlantic State, and a number of owners have started renting to students. I ain't real happy about that being the old fogey that I am, but it does make for some interesting pool scenery. I have nothing against students personally, but my condo is on the third floor overlooking the pool. The young sprouts like to close down the bars and party at the pool at 3 a.m. I have to get up at 5 so summers are a little tough on sleep. This weekend I'll take a shot of our co-eds just for you!;) We're a little off thread here and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I now return you to lawn mowing - except you of course Tyler!

Brad Schmid
05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
.... Brad, what kind / size of a ZTR did you get :)? Any pics ;)? sounds substantial :cool:.

Hi Boyd,
I got a Hustler. Made in Kansas. I try to buy as American as I possibly can (even though the engine isn't). I can't "talk the talk" if I don't "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. ;) BTW - my daily driver is a Harley. Did I mention I'm still proud of the hard working people of this country and I'll do what I can to support them :cool:

Hustler and Exmark are the most popular 2 that you see the commercial guys using in my area... It's been a real fine machine for the 5 months I've had it. I was forced to buy a narrow deck (36") because of gate access/width, but it mows so fast, it's no big deal for me. It's a commercial grade machine with Kawasaki twin. Bonus - it's fun to ride, and has a cupholder :D :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
05-25-2007, 4:48 PM
.... Hey Brad, that's a nice looking machine. With the 36” cut you can get in to all the tight places and do most of the trim. That cup hold makes it a BEST buy. I used mine last evening and I noticed my lawn looked a little wavy this morning but not for the same reasons :D.

Sharp looking mower

Hi Boyd,
I got a Hustler. Made in Kansas. I try to buy as American as I possibly can (even though the engine isn't). I can't "talk the talk" if I don't "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. ;) BTW - my daily driver is a Harley. Did I mention I'm still proud of the hard working people of this country and I'll do what I can to support them :cool:

Hustler and Exmark are the most popular 2 that you see the commercial guys using in my area... It's been a real fine machine for the 5 months I've had it. I was forced to buy a narrow deck (36") because of gate access/width, but it mows so fast, it's no big deal for me. It's a commercial grade machine with Kawasaki twin. Bonus - it's fun to ride, and has a cupholder :D :cool:

Brad Schmid
05-25-2007, 5:00 PM
.... Hey Brad, that's a nice looking machine. With the 36” cut you can get in to all the tight places and do most of the trim. That cup hold makes it a BEST buy. I used my last evening and I noticed my lawn looked a little wavy this morning but not for the same reasons :D.

Sharp looking mower

Hey! I guess you must have done some repairs since your original post:)
You're large mower you speak of, it's a Z too?

You're absolutely right about the tight places. I have ALOT of trees and bushes, etc. There's just nothing like a Z in my situation. I don't have to use a push mower at all for trimming anymore.

Boyd Gathwright
05-25-2007, 5:37 PM
.... Brad, I was referring to what I had in the CUP holder and yes I do have a Z.
Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24956 (#4)

....Happy mowing, careful what you put in your cup holder :D!!

Hey! I guess you must have done some repairs since your original post:)
You're large mower you speak of, it's a Z too?

You're absolutely right about the tight places. I have ALOT of trees and bushes, etc. There's just nothing like a Z in my situation. I don't have to use a push mower at all for trimming anymore.

Brad Schmid
05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
.... Brad, I was referring to what I had in the CUP holder and yes I do have a Z.
Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24956 (#4)

....Happy mowing, careful what you put in your cup holder :D!!

Ah yes, Kubota. Another very nice machine.

Oh, I understood:D Keep the cap on though, don't want dust & bugs gettin' in there;)
Have a good weekend!

Lavy Garcia
02-07-2013, 12:26 AM

Well U agree with you all.60" mower deck is really sufficient to cut out and it will must save your time to put it in your work.You can make more progress to it and can get the best benefits of it.

Rod Sheridan
02-07-2013, 8:20 AM
Well, first the grass growing comment got me, then I realised that it's a 6 year old thread............LOL.................Regards, Rod.

Kevin Bourque
02-07-2013, 4:59 PM
Did I fall into a time warp???

Brian Kent
02-07-2013, 5:46 PM
I was surprised to see the date. I live in Southern California. We have been alternating rain and hot sun so it's time to get out the mower and weedwhacker. But at the moment talking about it is more important than doing it. :)