PDA

View Full Version : I need a quick and easy finish

M Toupin
05-24-2007, 9:33 AM
So LOML volunteered me again... I have 40 wine bottle holders to finish in the next week, the kind you stick a wine bottle in and it balances at an angle.

In the past I've used BLO, lacquer and poly, but that was only for one or two at a time. With 40 to do and only a week to finish them I need something quick and easy! I was thinking some sort of wiping finish that I can just wipe on and set aside would be best but I've got no idea what. In the past I've just put a screw in the bottom and hung them, but 40 makes that a bit difficult. Spraying would be an option, but that would be a PITA, the oneseys, twoseys I sprayed with a rattle can in the past required lots of turning to get good coverage.

I thought I recalled reading about a wipe on wax type finish long ago but a search didn't turn up anything. If I remember right it was something like Johnson's paste wax and a solvent of some sorts, but I can't remember...

Anyone have any good ideas???

Mike

Steve Schoene
05-24-2007, 9:48 AM
What about an oil/varnish mix (such as Watco) that you could dunk the holders in, let them soak for a few minutes, and then take them out, wipe them off, and let them dry with the hole over some kind of none staining rod. I'd bet you could get a coat on in an hour if you hustle. But you can't do this with an open pored wood like oak that you would have to constantly fight bleeding pores. But with closed pore wood--maple, cherry, or similar--this would work fine.

Tyler Howell
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Velvet Oil is good one stop shopping. Very durable.

Larry Fox
05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree with Steve - I was thinking Waterlox Original. You could also look into padding on shellac. I bet that you could get into a groove and run through 40 of them fairly quickly if they don't have many nooks / crannies.

Obvious choice would be to spray them though.