PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop question--help!

Scott Rollins
05-24-2007, 8:44 AM
I just bought a Sawstop tablesaw. I will be placing it on a mobile base as soon as it arrives. Is the base closed in the bottom? Or is the saw dust going to fall on the floor? I forgot to look and I am several hours from the closest dealer. I hope to have the mobile base assembled and ready to use to get it off of the trailer I use to get it home (It is shipping to my dock at work where I can use the forklift for lifting onto the mobile base). If the base is open on the bottom I will need to cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit the mobile base.

I also bought the Incra fence for it...gloat pics to come later.

Dennis Meek
05-24-2007, 8:52 AM
The Sawstop is an enclosed cabinet saw. The dust port is connected to a shroud around the blade so very little sawdust will be in the cabinet.

Andrew Williams
05-24-2007, 9:01 AM
There is a false bottom on the inside in addition to the dust shroud above. Below the false bottom are the flanges of the cabinet base which sit on the floor. Any dust that makes it past the shroud (or is sucked back into the cabinet due to static or the internal motor fan) will remain inside the cabinet and have to be vacuumed out later. None will fall out to the outside floor except what manages to exit via the blade spray or motor box vents (extremely small amounts).

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 9:37 AM
As has been said, the SawStop cabinet has a bottom to it. No matter what stand you place it on sawdust will not fall under it. If, like me, you don't have a DC system yet, the dust sprays out the back of the saw through the DC port. Very little stays inside the saw.

Yes, I know I should have a DC system or use my Shopvac. The DC system will have to wait until I move in a couple of years. The nexy time I use the saw I'll start hooking up the Shopvac to it.

Scott Rollins
05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I will have a dust collection system connected to my saw (as all my equipment). Dust collection is paramount to me in my garage as tracking it into the house is not approved by the environmental dept (wife).

Dave Hale
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
The Sawstop is an enclosed cabinet saw. The dust port is connected to a shroud around the blade so very little sawdust will be in the cabinet.

As long as you remember to run the DC. :)
I just cleaned out a bunch of sawdust last weekend because I don't always remember to 'hit the switch'.
I was talking to SawStop support last night (problem with Dado brake) and 'Tony' (think the name is right) said a 'bellows' type of skirt is coming out soon and will help capture the dust even better because it'll come up to the bottom of the table. Looking forward to that improvement. :D

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 2:27 PM
I was talking to SawStop support last night (problem with Dado brake) and 'Tony' (think the name is right) said a 'bellows' type of skirt is coming out soon and will help capture the dust even better because it'll come up to the bottom of the table. Looking forward to that improvement. :D

Are they planning to make this upgrade something that they give or sell to current SawStop owners? For someone like me that doesn't use a dado very often it might not be necessary, but I'm sure that some use dados far more than I do.

Dave Hale
05-24-2007, 3:48 PM
Don,

The response wasn't specific to a dado blade problem, just a general observation I made to the tech about the dust collection. He said commercial shops had complained about the amount of dust above the table and gathered within the base of the machine even with solid DC attached. I could be wrong but I understood it as a freebie to correct an inherent design problem with the shroud.
Even with DC on it, and granted I don't have a 5HP cyclone attached, I get a decent amount of tabletop and 'out-the-front-of-the-cabinet' dust. Thick wood is a lot less dust, probably because of the proximity of the shroud to the table top, than 3/4" wood. I haven't attempted to seal the openings in the saw yet. Hopefully the 'bellows' comes out soon.
Also, their mobile base should be out soon too. Asked if they'll take the HTC in exchange. :cool: