PDA

View Full Version : Gift idea for a new attorney?

Joe Unni
05-24-2007, 7:50 AM
Hey all,

I've a friend that has just past the BAR (?) on his first try. I'll be attending a party in his honor very soon and I'd like not to go empty handed.

What is an appropriate gift in this case?

I thought of a gavel. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
-joe

Steve Schoene
05-24-2007, 8:01 AM
I associate gavels with judges not newly minted lawyers.

The other obvious choice is a "lawyer's bookcase"--you know, the kind with the drop down glass doors. A bit of a big item to take to the party, though.

I suspect what he will really need is something coffee related so he can pile up enough "billable hours" to get ahead. Perhaps turn a replacement "handle" from fancy wood for a Chemex type coffee maker. (Does anyone still use one ?)

Todd Hoppe
05-24-2007, 8:07 AM
When I passed the bar, my inlaws got me a very nice desk clock with my name, and "Attorney at Law" on it. That is a beautiful and very useful gift (it helps to have lots of clocks around when you are tracking every 0.1 hour of your day)

Richard Niemiec
05-24-2007, 8:10 AM
Gavels are really for Judges, and then, they generally get many of them so the one you make has a small chance of being the "one" used in Court unless it is really impressive. Unless this person has judicial aspirations, however fine, the gavel will end up in a drawer or box somewhere (that's where mine are, and yes, I was given several when I was sworn in). Since you seem to be a turner, my suggestion is perhaps a desk lamp, which will get used. Or maybe a nice set of "in" and "out" boxes for the desk with a business card holder. That kind of stuff gets used. My desk lamp has been with me since 1981. regards. RN

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2007, 8:22 AM
I've a friend that has just past the BAR (?) on his first try.

One should hang one's head in shame if one doesn't pass it on the first shot~!! After all the Bar exam is little more than the entire first year of law school rolled into one exam with some state law specific questions tossed in.

I'll be attending a party in his honor very soon and I'd like not to go empty handed.Good thinking.

What is an appropriate gift in this case?A 3 year subscription to Westlaw at $3 - 5 Gees a year?
A svelt leather briefcase?
A good watch?
A Blackberry?

A JOB~!!

Oh DUH~!! you want something you can make from WOOD ~!!

Silly me:

How about a desk organizer?

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 9:07 AM
How about a name plate for his desk, with the scales of justice and his name lasered into the face?

Nancy

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 9:30 AM
How about a name plate for his desk, with the scales of justice and his name lasered into the face?

Nancy

I was thinking of the same thing. If I recall correctly, Nancy has the laser to do the face. Perhaps she'd do the face of a sign that you make out of wood. No, I don't even know Nancy, much less work for her, but she is a great resource to use for things like this if you don't have someone locally.

John Michaels
05-24-2007, 9:37 AM
I'm with Todd, a clock would be a useful gift.

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 9:41 AM
Thank you, Don, for that little boost. Yes, we do have the laser, and I've done several of these name plates for my own attorney-boss and others. Here are the two I did for LOML and me:

(Sorry for the lousy pic - old camera which has now been relegated to the back of the closet.)

These are simply 11" long triangles of solid maple, 2" on a side (you could kill someone with one of these)--the "prettiest" side lasered and little "rubber bumpers" on the bottom to keep it from sliding around on the desk.

We could do the lasering, as the art and the jig are already done. Just a word of advice - light woods such as maple, cherry, birch, and alder will show up the lasering much better than the darker ones.

If you like the idea, feel free to use it and PM me if you'd like lasering done.

Nancy

Steven Wilson
05-24-2007, 9:57 AM
Pen and Pencil set

John Ricci
05-24-2007, 2:11 PM
Get him something nice to wear, like a...Lawsuit?:rolleyes:

J.R.

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 2:40 PM
That wasn't even worthy of a groan.:rolleyes:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nancy

John Ricci
05-24-2007, 2:58 PM
That wasn't even worthy of a groan.:rolleyes:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nancy

I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop my hands from typing it.:D

J.R.

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 3:49 PM
I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop my hands from typing it.:D

J.R.

I enjoyed it.:D :D

Belinda Barfield
05-24-2007, 3:57 PM
Get him something nice to wear, like a...Lawsuit?:rolleyes:

J.R.

Must be my "a little off" sense of humor, but I think that is really funny! :p

I was going to suggest a bullet proof vest! JUST JOKING GUYS!

How about a copy of "100 Best Lawsuits Ever Written"? He could probably use some reference books.:) Just joking again. Guess I'm not much help in the gift idea department.

Al Killian
05-24-2007, 4:57 PM
Make him a desk set for his cards and pens. If you wanted to you can make the scales hold the cards?

Bruce Page
05-24-2007, 5:17 PM
I think a nice clock would be appreciated. Do they make movements that chime every 6 min.?

Mike Henderson
05-24-2007, 5:58 PM
I was thinking of maybe a carved wooden shark.

BTW, do you know why sharks won't eat Attorneys?

Professional courtesy.

Or maybe a book of lawyer jokes.

Mike

John Bush
05-24-2007, 7:14 PM
I suggest you make business cards using 1/8" ,or slightly less, tight grained whitish wood with his/her info lasered on and a rare earth magnet attached to the back so when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren screaming blows by he can chuck the card so it will stick to the side of the ambulance. Great referral source.

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2007, 7:47 PM
Don't know about a gift an a new attorney, but I can vouch that Nancy does some EXCELLENT laser work and very beautifully done.

Sorry, not affiliated with her business, but an extremely satisfied recipient of her work. :D

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 7:54 PM
Thank you, Dennis. That endorsement makes me feel really good!

Nancy

Paul Douglass
05-24-2007, 7:55 PM
Nice wood business card holder with a matching wood pen set, that you made.

glenn bradley
05-24-2007, 8:50 PM
I can't believe no one suggested a small coffin with a welcome sign engraved on top. You know, the only good lawyer is a . . . ooops, sorry, lawyers in the family, we get all the lawyer jokes.

A really cool, obviously hand-made business card holder would be nice. Any variation on an accurate clock (preferrably digital I'm told) would be good.

Tommy Emmons
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Why not make him a solid wood briefcase? I am assuming you are into woodworking. There is one on woodnet.com that is very beautiful and functional. There may not be enough time for that, depending on the time frame.

Jason Roehl
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Dang, Mike, you beat me to it! I was going to suggest a stuffed shark toy or something similar...

Guys we need to be careful here--I do recall a lawyer joke thread getting the axe in the not-too-distant past.

The lawsuit joke WAS funny, though! :D

Joe Unni
05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies...even the tongue in cheek.

I've actually some mixed feelings (I went to insert an emoticon, but found none that fit).

Even though I've heard and/or participated and laughed at the jokes, I can't help but be proud of my friend. I've known him since I was a kid. In fact, his dad was my guidance councilor in junior high school. He'd been floundering for a while trying to figure out where he could fit in life and he chose law. He and his family sacrificed quite a bit during this process and he passed the BAR the first time along with 73.8% of other applicants this year. I think that's pretty good as he's been out of school for almost 20 years.

Now I know no malice was intended, but keep in mind (sharks and ambulance chasers aside) that our judicial system is one of the core elements that makes us American. If he can be part of that then I'm lucky and humbled.

The project...

Timewise (the party is on the 2nd) I think some type of clock/business card holder is the best solution. Nancy, I guess I should have posted the question earlier. I'd love to have included some of your beautiful laser work for my friend.

Thanks again everyone,
-joe

glenn bradley
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies...even the tongue in cheek.

I've actually some mixed feelings (I went to insert an emoticon, but found none that fit).

Even though I've heard and/or participated and laughed at the jokes, I can't help but be proud of my friend. I've known him since I was a kid. In fact, his dad was my guidance councilor in junior high school. He'd been floundering for a while trying to figure out where he could fit in life and he chose law. He and his family sacrificed quite a bit during this process and he passed the BAR the first time along with 73.8% of other applicants this year. I think that's pretty good as he's been out of school for almost 20 years.

Now I know no malice was intended, but keep in mind (sharks and ambulance chasers aside) that our judicial system is one of the core elements that makes us American. If he can be part of that then I'm lucky and humbled.

The project...

Timewise (the party is on the 2nd) I think some type of clock/business card holder is the best solution. Nancy, I guess I should have posted the question earlier. I'd love to have included some of your beautiful laser work for my friend.

Thanks again everyone,
-joe

Joe,

Absolutely no offense intended. You have every right to be proud. Your friend has made a wonderful accomplishment.

Your idea of a combination of the clock and business holder sounds like the perfect gift. All joking aside, give your friend my best.

Glenn (trying to get his foot out of its second home . . his mouth)

Todd Jensen
05-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Do they sell a fortified conscience? :D Ok, seriously, I think any gift you bring that is sincere will be well received, and congratulations to your friend for passing on his first try - quite an accomplishment from what I hear. I think the gavel is a beautiful gift, but perhaps a little premature. I think any of the desktop items mentioned would be great though. JMO.