PDA

View Full Version : how to cut crotch wood

Matt Haus
05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
I found some maple this afternoon. I have several pieces that have nice crotch wood. I am moslty interested in cutting the blanks for hollow vessels, vases and such. Any suggestions on how to maximize pattern? Should I cut the two branches across at the start of the V and then just turn a cylinder? What do you think?

Jim Underwood
05-24-2007, 9:17 AM
What I've heard and done is to split the crotch on the pith so it appears like you have two "Y"s that are half round in section. And then you turn it "Side Grain" like you normally turn a bowl.

That seems to be the best way to get the figure on a bowl or platter.

I have no idea how it would be done for a hollow form....

Patrick Taylor
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
What I've heard and done is to split the crotch on the pith so it appears like you have two "Y"s that are half round in section. And then you turn it "Side Grain" like you normally turn a bowl.

That seems to be the best way to get the figure on a bowl or platter.

I agree, I believe the best figure is in between the piths, so position that as you choose. I think you could also rotate the above suggestion 90 degrees about the trunk axis, so the end result would have the a pith that used to be "above the bowl" and the other "below the bow".

I think for a tall narrow hallowform, you want the piece as low to the crotch as possible, with the piths rising on opposite sides of the form (assuming you're turning end-grain). Or you could include the piths if you want a different look.

That's my 2 cents, based on very little experience.

Matt Haus
05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Patrick,

I an interested in the hollow forms specifically. I have several logs were there is a pith on the bottom and two piths on the top. I don't want bowls or platters out of this right now. I would really like to make a hollow form of it. I need HELP ASAP from you guys as I am out cutting this stuff this morning.

I have 20 inch swing in my lathe and the logs are 17 in diameter. If I do a hollow form, I would be cutting end grain. Need your thoughts. Thanks.

Patrick Taylor
05-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Patrick,

I an interested in the hollow forms specifically. I have several logs were there is a pith on the bottom and two piths on the top. I don't want bowls or platters out of this right now. I would really like to make a hollow form of it. I need HELP ASAP from you guys as I am out cutting this stuff this morning.

I have 20 inch swing in my lathe and the logs are 17 in diameter. If I do a hollow form, I would be cutting end grain. Need your thoughts. Thanks.

Seeing as I've never done hollow forms (there's my disclaimer) you might want to ignore everything I say. But in the absence of other advice, if it were me, and the entire log was 17" in diameter, I wouldn't cut anything. I'd put it between centers end-grain as-is and round it out and then turn the HF with the piths included. It sounds like avoiding the piths would cost yo ua lot of size, and I personally like the extra "features".

William Bachtel
05-25-2007, 1:55 PM
Cut it long, and seal it , on all sides and faces. That means seal it completely everywhere, crotch wood will crack, even if sealed and stored right.