PDA

View Full Version : Cherry burl NE with filled cracks - critique?

Patrick Taylor
05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
You may remember my plea for help (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57394) a few weeks ago... Well, I sanded out and filled the cracks with chalk and CA. Then I sanded to 400, applied 2 coats of danish oil, and then buffed about 5 days later. Here's the result. It's about 6" in diameter. Comments and critiques welcomed.

Pat Doble
05-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Great job on the fill. Your color choice makes it look like it's a natural occurence in the wood - and it adds even more character to an already nice looking piece in both shape and color.

Great piece Patrick.

Jonathon Spafford
05-24-2007, 3:31 AM
Really super cool! I really like the fix up... you know the cracks almost look like flames shooting out of the center! Great save!

sascha gast
05-24-2007, 4:03 AM
very nice job, also on the photos. maybe just a bit tighter crop and you are good to go, great job on the white balance

Mark Cothren
05-24-2007, 7:18 AM
Patrick, that looks great to me. The filled in areas give it a very unique look that works well with the bowl and the wood. Great work.

Doug M Jones
05-24-2007, 7:53 AM
Nice job, the bowl if visually stunning. It's nitpicky but there appear to be some white spots on the bottom inside of the bowl. Is that some of the chalk/CA used to fill the cracks? It detracts a little from the overall effect.

Georgeous piece

Bob Hallowell
05-24-2007, 8:09 AM
Great design opertunity- looks great!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2007, 8:38 AM
Patrick - you took something that was marginal because of the cracks and turned it into a showpiece! Nice form, nice finish - Nice work!

George Van
05-24-2007, 9:10 AM
Whoooa Patrick, you did a great job of turning this into a great piece! You definitely made an example of what could be done with a little imagination. I think the steps you took were the perfect choice for this wood and form. The repairs add to the lift of the vessel. Did I tell you I am impressed? I am!

Kaptan J.W. Meek
05-24-2007, 9:16 AM
Nice, very nice.. Best part: No evidence of how it was ever mounted on the lathe.. smooth bottom, nice proportions. Just a great piece all around. Congratulations.

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2007, 9:21 AM
Patrick you did a great job with the cracks. I like the bowl as one said looks like flames. Great job.

steven carter
05-24-2007, 9:29 AM
Beautiful work! Chalk this one up to experience (pun intended):rolleyes:

Ed Scolforo
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Patrick, you done good! I like it.

Mike Vickery
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Very nice piece and good photo as well.
I normally do not like filled cracks but you did a great job.

I am getting some pixelation on the photo when I look at them in the larger size so it is kind of hard to tell, but it does look like you broke your curve a little above the base of the piece. Not a very big deal in my opinion on this shape.

Patrick Taylor
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Nice job, the bowl if visually stunning. It's nitpicky but there appear to be some white spots on the bottom inside of the bowl. Is that some of the chalk/CA used to fill the cracks? It detracts a little from the overall effect.

Georgeous piece

The spots are actually glare. The waxed finish is very prone to glare, so that's a photography error. Thanks for the comment.

Patrick Taylor
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Very nice piece and good photo as well.
I normally do not like filled cracks but you did a great job.

I am getting some pixelation on the photo when I look at them in the larger size so it is kind of hard to tell, but it does look like you broke your curve a little above the base of the piece. Not a very big deal in my opinion on this shape.

You're correct. It was originally the design intent to flare out slightly, but would have worked better with a narrower base. With this size base the curve should continue to the bottom. Thanks for the comment.

Tom Sherman
05-24-2007, 3:58 PM
Great piece Patrick, nice save.