PDA

View Full Version : Latest project - Walnut small chest

Andy Howard
05-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a pic of the latest project I completed. It is a small chest in the Chipendale style. I used one of Glen Huey's plans for starters, and modified the heck out of it to produce what you see here.

Sorry for the bad pics....just took some quickies so they arent the best.

All primary wood is walnut, with a secondary wood of poplar.

Finish is BLO followed by shellac.

Critiques and criticism welcome. Always trying to improve on my skills and knowledge.

Andy

jonathan snyder
05-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Very nice Andy,

The drawer fronts are beautiful and the dt's look great.

Jonathan

Mike Cutler
05-24-2007, 8:03 AM
Andy.
Very nicely done. A lot of detail and thought went into it, which is obvious.

Roy Wall
05-24-2007, 8:09 AM
Beautifully done Andy.

Did you use dust frames between the drawers, or leave open & primarily for the drawer runners?

Terrific work - thanks for showing!

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 9:44 AM
Andy, that's a beautiful chest. Nicely done.

Martin Shupe
05-24-2007, 1:11 PM
I have that plan, and you did a fantastic job!

Excellent work, and thanks for posting the pics!

Charles Jackson III
05-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Very nice work!

Andy Howard
05-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Roy,
There are no dust panels, just the drawer runners. That is how the plan called for them, but right after I glued up the carcase I realized that I should have done a full dust panel. This is the reason I went against the conventional logic of making 2 at once to save time, and made only one. Now I can correct the mistakes made on the first one when I build the second one. If I did them at the same time I would have made the same mistakes twice!

For the second one I will use a sliding dovetailed drawer divider in the front and in the rear of the case. This will allow me to capture the drawer runners and a panel inbetween the front and rear dividers.

Andy

Beautifully done Andy.

Did you use dust frames between the drawers, or leave open & primarily for the drawer runners?

Terrific work - thanks for showing!

Gail O'Rourke
05-27-2007, 7:25 AM
Gorgeous chest! I love the color. What are the dimensions?

scott spencer
05-27-2007, 8:00 AM
Nicely done Andy. Really something to be proud of.

Jim Becker
05-27-2007, 8:52 AM
Wonderful work, Andy! You chose that walnut well on the faces, too. Outstanding!

Chris Barton
05-27-2007, 8:54 AM
Exceptional attention to details! I really like the execution on this reproduction and faithfully done in walnut! Excellent.

Rick de Roque
05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Well done.

Rick