PDA

View Full Version : Let's see my little Ridgid lathe walk now!

Don Farr
01-05-2004, 6:46 PM
My first post went into Internet never, never land. I hope this doesn't show up twice some where else.
Added some weight to my lathe. This latest turning project was causing to much vibration. I will enclose it later.
Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

Jason Roehl
01-05-2004, 7:29 PM
Gotcha beat, Don!! I have 6 of those same bags on a shelf attached to my 1236.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-05-2004, 7:58 PM
Uh............Don............I don't think it is going anywhere now! :D Just think, you and Jason can always build Sandcastles if the turning you are working on give ya fits! :p My Lathe is a heavy 'ol dude, but I am thinking in need the same treatment for mine. I had it walking around pretty good a few days ago............that big Box Elder Blank was giving me a workout until it decided it was round enough to behave. :eek: Great idea........and inexpensive and convienient too!

Wolf Kiessling
01-05-2004, 8:15 PM
My first post went into Internet never, never land. I hope this doesn't show up twice some where else.
Added some weight to my lathe. This latest turning project was causing to much vibration. I will enclose it later.
Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

I hope that does you some good, Don. I have a lightweight Delta (about 350 lbs) and added two 70 lb sacks to the shelf I installed. Whenever I put on an off balance bowl blank over about 25 lbs, that thing still hops all over the shop. I have found be taking the two sacks off the shelf and kind of looping them around the back legs of the lathe (in the direction the lathe is wandering), it helps keep it much steadier than when they are on the shelf. Even then, it doesn't always stop it. Then I call for SWMBO to hold the lathe until I get the blank rounder, or, if she isn't home, I kind of wrap my right leg around the right front lathe stand leg. The things we do to make a bowl ..... :rolleyes:

Wolf

Ron Jones near Indy
01-05-2004, 9:54 PM
About 40 years ago I worked for a man who loaded his own shotgun shells. A few bags of lead shot would be easier to use than the sand. It was much more flexible than the paper sand bags. I believe the lead shot would be heavier than an equal volume of sand.

Dale Thompson
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Don,
If the sand doesn't work, try a few bags of concrete mix or mortar mix. As I recall from a few projects, they are REALLY dense (i.e. pounds/cubic foot). Ask you local dealer - I may, as usual, be wrong. :o

Dale T.

Don Farr
01-06-2004, 7:36 AM
About 40 years ago I worked for a man who loaded his own shotgun shells. A few bags of lead shot would be easier to use than the sand. It was much more flexible than the paper sand bags. I believe the lead shot would be heavier than an equal volume of sand.

That's a great idea Ron. Why didn't I think of that. :confused:
I'm an "ex" reloader and probably have a 1000 lbs of lead and bullets sitting around.

Jason Roehl
01-06-2004, 7:43 AM
That's a great idea Ron. Why didn't I think of that. :confused:
I'm an "ex" reloader and probably have a 1000 lbs of lead and bullets sitting around.

Lead shot will make great ballast if you're just looking for pure weight. However, the sand or mortar mix will be much better at vibration dampening, which is really what you are looking for. Weight helps resist vibrations from forming, but the smaller media will help absorb the ones that do.

Don Farr
01-06-2004, 7:49 AM
Lead shot will make great ballast if you're just looking for pure weight. However, the sand or mortar mix will be much better at vibration dampening, which is really what you are looking for. Weight helps resist vibrations from forming, but the smaller media will help absorb the ones that do.

Very good point Jason, In fact Del Stubbs talks about that on his video.