PDA

View Full Version : BS Newbie Question

James Ross
05-23-2007, 7:58 PM
Trying out my new 14 in BS by cutting a thin "veneer" piece just to see how thin it would cut. I was pleased with the trial cuts, but asm not sure best way to push the wood the final 2 inches thriugh the blade.

I used a push stick but I was not able to accurately hold the wood aginst the fence for the last part of the cut. The effort produced a thicker part at the end.

How do you guys handle the issue?

Thanks

James Ross

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2007, 8:14 PM
I either cut off the last part that is thicker than the rest of run it through my Performax 16/32 and make it the same thickness as the rest of the veneer piece. I also use a push-block for the final few inches.

Brad Noble
05-23-2007, 8:32 PM
I usually use a piece of scrap wood, most often a junk 2x4 cutoff as a push block. Just push the wood thru the blade and allow the 2x4 to absorb the blade.

Brad

Cliff Polubinsky
05-23-2007, 9:53 PM
James,

The nature of how the band saw cuts eliminates the possibility of kickback so when you get towards the last few inches it's perfectly safe to go around to the other end of the piece and pull it through. You can easily press the wood against the fence that way and as long as you're behind the blade there is no danger of being cut.

Cliff

Brian Clevenger
05-24-2007, 12:51 AM
I will either pull through from the back, or push with a scrap. I also resaw before cutting to length.

James Ross
05-24-2007, 4:08 PM
Thanks for all the input. Great forum!

James

Jake Helmboldt
05-24-2007, 10:16 PM
You can also use a push block/pad w/ slight pressure to keep the board against the fence while using a scrap or push stick at the back. For that matter, it the veneer or thinner piece is against the fence you can just use your hand on the stock to keep it firmly against the fence.