PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from owners of Grizzly model 453 15" planer

Cary Swoveland
05-23-2007, 7:58 PM
I recently purchased Grizzly's model G0453 15" planer and installed Grizzly's spiral cutterhead with carbide inserts. I've set it up and adjusted everything other than the chipbreaker and pressure bar. I'm having a problem with that. I just got off the phone with tech support at Grizzly. Unfortunately, that didn't help.

Here are two pics of my planer, one from above the cutterhead, the other from below:

The picture from below is from the outfeed side. In order, from the infeed side, are the pawls, infeed roller, chipbreaker, cutterhead, and outfeed roller. Does the 453 not have a pressure bar (which I believe would be between the cutterhead and outfeed roller)? The manual is for both the 453 and 454 models, the latter being the 20" planer. I think most of the pics in the manual are of the 454.

Pictures of the adjustments of the chip breaker and pressure bar are shown in Figs. 33 and 34, respectively, on page 34 of the manual. I assume these apply to the 20" planer, but I'm still quite confused.

Parts diagrams of the headstock are given on pages 42 and 52 for the 453 and 454, respectively. The 454 has a "pressure plate", but I see nothing comparable for the 453.

I'd appreciate clarification from other owners.

Cary

Marcus Ward
08-27-2007, 3:28 PM
Cary I don't know if you ever got this resolved. I haven't logged in in a while and just got your message. I have never delved this far into the guts of my planer, I just shove wood in one side and grab it as it comes out the other. I do get a little snipe sometimes but other than that, it's perfect. Are you having a problem that would cause you to want to make these adjustments?

Cary Swoveland
08-27-2007, 4:00 PM
After posting this, I obtained an authoritative answer from Grizzly: unlike its 20" big brother (model 454), the 15" planer (453) does not have a pressure bar. I'm very pleased with the planer with the spiral cutterhead.

Cary

Marcus Ward
08-27-2007, 5:42 PM
Cary - do you get any snipe? And if not, how do you avoid it?

Cary Swoveland
08-27-2007, 7:30 PM
Cary - do you get any snipe? And if not, how do you avoid it?
No snipe, and I don't do anything special to avoid it.

Cary

Larry Rasmussen
08-27-2007, 8:51 PM
did it take more or less? I'm glad you posted. I'll think I'll take pictures on the way in. Been a little nervous about starting.
Larry R

Cary Swoveland
08-27-2007, 10:54 PM
did it take more or less? I'm glad you posted. I'll think I'll take pictures on the way in. Been a little nervous about starting.
Larry R
I think you should be able to install the spiral cutterhead in a couple of hours. The instructions are very clear. You need to either R&R a bearing (in which case you will need a bearing-puller/pully-puller) or install a new bearing. The bearing is a standard metric size which should be available locally for $10-$15. (I R&R'd. You should have to be careful not to damage the bearing.)

It took me a little longer than two hours--more like two weeks--because the cover gasket was malformed and I had to order a new one from Grizzly. (I tried using a gasket sealer but could not keep the oil from leaking. No problem after installing the new gasket.)

Let me know how your installation goes.

Cary

Larry Rasmussen
08-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks Cary,
On inquiry to Griz pre purchase I was told that I should be able to carefully tap the bearings out. I'm fairly flexible and should be able to figure it out. They have some general instructions over at shelix too. I'll be sure to post when finished.
Larry

Jack Briggs
08-28-2007, 8:20 AM
I'm also looking at the G0453 planer for my shop. FWIW - the Shelix cutterhead is the one to get. The other one that Grizzly offers has cutters on a helical stagger, but Byrd's Shelix is truly helical and each cutter is biased to reduce the tearout common with figured woods. It's worth the extra $120 (all spiral cutterheads on sale now at Grizzly.)

rae gordon
08-28-2007, 9:12 AM
I have the same planer, but no Spiral head. Would you be willing to sell your blades that you had removed.

RG