PDA

View Full Version : My latest "butcher" job...

Maury Morneault
05-23-2007, 5:22 PM
Hey all,

Thought you might enjoy some pics of a recent "butcher" job I just completed. Actually, it was commissioned by a chef in Atlanta. The entire thing was his brain child, I just made it a reality for him.

The entire piece is constructed of solid maple. The pins are 1/2" walnut dowels. The top is 36" high, measures 24"x18"x4" and is constructed of 104 individual 2"x2" blocks assembled in a staggered pattern. In addition to the monster top, the client requested (and received) a knife rack, towel rack, storage drawer, lower storage shelf and heavy duty locking casters. This thing is built like a tank. And as you can imagine, it weighs a ton!

http://www.mjmwoodworks.com/images/DSCN23274.JPG

http://www.mjmwoodworks.com/images/DSCN2325.JPG

http://www.mjmwoodworks.com/images/DSCN23172.JPG

http://www.mjmwoodworks.com/images/DSCN2318.JPG

As always, any feedback is welcome. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Maury

Dave Ray
05-23-2007, 5:33 PM
Maury, great project, when you build you truly build to last a life time. I am sure your client loves it.

Alex Shanku
05-23-2007, 5:33 PM
Very nice!!!

How do you prevent the glue lines between the end grain blocks from opening up with the seasonal changes?

I have tried a few end grain cutting boards and they all ended up splitting along the glue lines.....

Matt Day
05-23-2007, 5:54 PM
Very nice! How thick is the top? It appears to be about 3"?

Jameel Abraham
05-23-2007, 7:19 PM
Awesome. End grain maple is so luxurious.

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2007, 8:17 PM
Very nice Maury.!!! Great work and very well done.

Alex,

I've made several endgrain boards and none of them have came apart yet.

Brent Dowell
05-23-2007, 8:35 PM
Love the look of the wide endgrain pieces. Very nicely done.

Jesse Thornton
05-23-2007, 8:37 PM
Looks fantastic, Maury!
Great timing too, as it gives me some good ideas to ponder for a similar project I have coming up. I really like the way you built the knife rack.
What did you use for a finish?
Thanks for posting.

Gail O'Rourke
05-23-2007, 8:39 PM
This a great piece, perfect for any kitchen, but even better for a chef. Great Work!

Cary Swoveland
05-23-2007, 8:44 PM
Impressive design and craftsmanship, Maury (my brother's first name as well). Well done.

Cary

Bruce Page
05-23-2007, 8:46 PM
Nice work! That looks like a fun project.

Ben Grunow
05-23-2007, 9:48 PM
That is a beauty! It will look even better in about 20 years when there is some contour to the top from all of the cutting.

There is a butcher shop near me with a 3' square block where one side is about 6" lower than the other.

What glue did you use for the blocks?

Ben

John Keane
05-23-2007, 9:55 PM
Well done. Beautiful piece.

Jim Becker
05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Maury, that's really excellent work!

Maury Morneault
05-24-2007, 8:57 AM
Thank you all for the compliments. It's very much appreciated.

Very nice!!!

How do you prevent the glue lines between the end grain blocks from opening up with the seasonal changes?

I have tried a few end grain cutting boards and they all ended up splitting along the glue lines.....
I've never had a problem with glue joints parting, especially long grain joints. Just make sure your glue is fresh and your stock is dry, flat, square and you use good clamping pressure.

Very nice! How thick is the top? It appears to be about 3"?
The top is 4" thick. The legs are 3"x3"

What did you use for a finish?
3 coats of GF Salad Bowl finish.

What glue did you use for the blocks?
For the top I used Titebond III, everything else got Titebond II.

Thanks again,
Maury

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 9:38 AM
Maury, you certainly did butcher that project -- it's too beautiful to be used. Great workmanship!!

Nancy Laird
05-24-2007, 9:46 AM
I certainly wouldn't take a knife to that top! Really nice!!

Nancy

Zahid Naqvi
05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
When I read the title I thought I'd see some mangled project that you are trying to salvage :eek:

Nicely done, I could use one of these things around my house.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Maury...that looks great! I'd be proud to prepare a nice cheesteak sandwich on it!

-Jeff :)

Jerry Strojny
05-24-2007, 2:17 PM
Wow, what a beautiful piece.

Looks great. I've always wanted to try to do butcherblock project....this one may have inspired me enough to actually follow through. I love it. Especially the walnut plugs.

Larry Crim
05-24-2007, 8:28 PM
Maury that is a great job really like the top, would be interested in knowing how you tackled the beading around the top.
Larry

Kelly C. Hanna
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow, that's fantastic work. Having been a chef, I can appreciate the block...wish I had one just like it here!

Maury Morneault
05-25-2007, 1:20 AM
I certainly wouldn't take a knife to that top! Really nice!!
Unfortunately Nancy, it's already been compromised.:(

Maury that is a great job really like the top, would be interested in knowing how you tackled the beading around the top.
I'm assuming your talking about the groove in the top? BTW, I've always known, and referrd to this feature as a "blood edge". My friends in the culinary business have informed me that the correct terminology is a "liquid groove". Who knew? :rolleyes: Anyway, it's pretty easy to do. First I decided how wide and how far off the edge I wanted the groove. In this case, it was 1/2" wide and 1/2" from the edge. Then I made a template out of MDF and carpet taped it to the top. Finally, I loaded a 1/2" core box bit in my router and followed the template around the top.

ROY DICK
05-25-2007, 8:49 AM
Maury,

That is outstanding. My compliments to the craftsman. Excellent detail.

Roy

Bill Huber
05-26-2007, 1:29 AM
Maury, that is one really nice block, now I would just hate to see someone use it, it to nice looking.

Jim C Bradley
05-26-2007, 1:33 AM
Hi,
This is beautiful! I'm sure glad my wife hasn't seen these photos.
Enjoy,
Jim

Chris Barton
05-26-2007, 7:52 AM
That's a great piece and a wonderful project! I may need to add this to my to do list!

Larry Crim
05-26-2007, 9:50 AM
thanks maury I understand, I thought it was a raised bead my comp has a cheap monitor and it looked as though it was raised.
thanks again and sweet job.
Larry

Unfortunately Nancy, it's already been compromised.:(

I'm assuming your talking about the groove in the top? BTW, I've always known, and referrd to this feature as a "blood edge". My friends in the culinary business have informed me that the correct terminology is a "liquid groove". Who knew? :rolleyes: Anyway, it's pretty easy to do. First I decided how wide and how far off the edge I wanted the groove. In this case, it was 1/2" wide and 1/2" from the edge. Then I made a template out of MDF and carpet taped it to the top. Finally, I loaded a 1/2" core box bit in my router and followed the template around the top.