PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Top to Dresser

Dan Gill
05-23-2007, 4:16 PM
I am building (very slowly) a tall dresser for my daughter. The case is two frame-and-panel sides attached to a face frame front with pocket screws. There are four braces across the back and two across the top, also attached with blue and pocket screws. I planned to screw the solid wood top to the top braces, with elongated slots at the back to allow for expansion. However, I'm concerned that this might not be strong enough in case someone tries to lift the piece by the top. There will be a 1-inch overhang, and I know that's a handle that's hard to resist using.

Will this be a strong enough attachment method? I could add more top braces with elongated screw holes, perhaps even gluing to the center brace and allowing expansion to the front and the back.

Craig D Peltier
05-23-2007, 4:27 PM
My 2 sense it sounds like it will be plenty strong.
Theres also table top fasteners that allow for wood movement, i think you can search at woodcraft and many others. Ive used them and they held the tabletop secure, much thicker and heavier than yours.

Dick Latshaw
05-23-2007, 9:57 PM
You are correct in thinking that screws are not going to be strong enough. Try some searching on buttons for securing tops. Think L shaped pieces of wood that slip into slots in the sides of the chest and are screwed to the top.

Art Mulder
05-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Dan, I would just put in a couple extra screws. And I probably will, as I'm also (very slowly) doing the same thing for my son. However my chest of drawers will be a over 50" tall, so I really doubt that anyone would try to lift it by the top. Unless they're hoisting it up stairs or some thing. How tall is your dresser?

John Mihich
05-24-2007, 3:27 AM
I have worked with antique furniture over the years and they typically have 6-8 screws for tops. two for each side and front and back. Sometimes I'll see just one on each side. I have never seen a failure with that configuation. Just make sure the screw is just shy of going all the way through the top; 1/4-1/8". That should do it fine.

If you want you can put some glue on the sides near the middle of the edge. I have seen that a few times but most tops are just screwed on.

Dan Gill
05-24-2007, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Art, this dresser is about 66 inches tall, but for me, that just makes it more likely that someone will try to lift it by the top. I think I would. Picture one lifter on each side of the case, bracing the heels of their hands against the lip . . .