PDA

View Full Version : SS appliances and Renaissance Wax

Kyle Stiefel
05-23-2007, 2:06 PM
Hello,

I just recieved my new kitchen appliances yesterday which are in stainless steel. I know they sell products specifically for this but I was thinking my Renaissance wax would be optimal protection from the finger print problems. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2007, 6:44 PM
I got some of that stuff. All it is amounts to is some mineral spirits, paraffin, and a couple of microcrystaline waxes. It has a mineral spirits odor too.
I don't think it's worth the bother.

Ive used lots of things to clean SST & made some errors with things that were too caustic cause it causes rust by stripping away the Chromic Oxide layer

Jim Becker
05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
A very, very light wipe with mineral oil will obliterate the fingerprints on SS (or stuff made to look like it...), is cheap and easy.

Lou Ferrarini
05-24-2007, 7:39 AM
I use this and it works great:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00819421

Puts a protective film on the SS which prevents finger prints.

Kyle Stiefel
05-24-2007, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try to give the mineral oil a go as I was trying to put something on that I already had around the house. Same reason I had thought of trying the wax.

Jim Becker
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
VERY light coat, Kyle...and then fingerprints don't "stick". Strangely enough, neither does dust. I just occasionally wipe the rag I use to oil the soapstone counters over the SS range, dishwashers and fridge so I'm not even opening the bottle for that!

Lee Schierer
05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
We used to have Stainless steel cabinets in our rooms at USNA. We cleaned them with windex and crumpled newspaper. Took off the fingerprints and left no residue.