PDA

View Full Version : Resanding after Danish oil?

Patrick Taylor
05-23-2007, 1:15 PM
I have a cherry bowl that I applied watco Danish Oil to, and boy does the finish look terrible! (because of my original sanding, not the oil) The oil (2 coats) has dried for 4 days, and it needs to be resanded and the finish reapplied. Will I have difficulty sanding wood that has oil dried in it already or will it sand just like normal?

Keith Burns
05-23-2007, 1:22 PM
Only difficultly I can think of is it will gum up your sandpaper quickly.

Mike Lipke
05-23-2007, 1:35 PM
I think that product "catalyzes" in about 30 days.
You should be ok about then.
One thing I notice is that when the smell is totally gone, it is pretty much as hard as it is going to get, and that is about a month.

Paul Engle
05-23-2007, 1:44 PM
And... you could try sanding with paint thinner and 400 grit wet / dry to knock off the top glaze, wipe down with lint free cloth, damp not wet thinner , let dry a few minutes and reapply your finish, I do this with wipe on poly and Hornby's tung oil when finish goes awry and works pretty good. Remember that finishing is as much an art as turning and takes as much practice in it self. if the oil did not dry then just wipe with the thinner let dry overnite and reapply , i had this happen on some Bocote and wiped it good , let dry then sprayed Deft lacquer and was good to go.If humidity is up then expect longer cure time/s.

Andy Hoyt
05-23-2007, 9:30 PM
If there's thickness left in the piece, it might be easier to just remount and take a light cut, then resand.

Dale Stagg
05-23-2007, 9:36 PM
I used about 4 coats of Watco Danish Oil and did the Beall buffing and wasn't happy with finish. I let dry about two weeks and wiped with laquer thinner, sanded and sprayed laquer with multi coats and then buffed to a glass finish.