PDA

View Full Version : Bench Top Jointer Decision Help

Tom Slupek
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I only have room and finances for a benchtop jointer so bigger floor model units are out of the question. Most of my work is smaller cabinets and boxes so benchtop model will have to suffice for now. Please help me choose between the two models.

Shop Fox W1694

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/W1694/

or

Grizzly G0612

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0612

Sincerely

Tom

Jim Chilenski
05-23-2007, 1:54 PM
Tom,

I can't make a recommendation on either of these jointers. However having had only a Craftsman benchtop jointer for many years and dealing with its short coming, I would recommend that if you must buy a benchtop model get one where BOTH the infeed and outfeed tables are adjustable. Nothing was more frustrating then trying to adjust the height of the knives only to find out that they were either too high or too low to the outfeed table. Unless the knives are "just right" you will end up with jointed edges that are not straight. My benchtop jointer frustrated me to the point where I finally broke down and bought a 6" Yorkcraft jointer.

I don't know of any benchtop jointers that have an adjustable outfeed table, but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. I haven't had the need to look since buying the Yorkcraft.

Good luck in your hunt.

Jim

Neil Lamens
05-23-2007, 2:30 PM
Hi Tom:

I'm with Jim on having table adjustments. I've been using a small Delta jointer for over 15 years or more and I still love it. It's mobile; on a Delta stand and I put casters on it. Wheel it around wherever I need it. I find it to be a great tool for me.

Not sure if they are still being made????

Neil

Jeff Miller
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Go to garage sales you will eventually find a better jointer for less money than that benchtop junk.

This is only my opinion. Good luck

JEFF;)

CPeter James
05-23-2007, 10:05 PM
You will be much happier with an older Delta 4" jointer for a lot less money than either of these. Others may disagree, but you would be better off learning how to use a good hand plane and a shooting board than spending money on this. My first Delta cost me $100 and I had to find a motor and build a wooden stand. You could put it on a piece of plywood if you wanted.

CPeter

Wilbur Pan
05-23-2007, 10:57 PM
To further expand on CPeter's point:

If space and finances are an issue, why not get a good hand plane? Judging from the price of the Grizzly, with shipping, your budget is in the $200-250 range. For that price you could get a Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley #4 or #4 1/2. Instead of getting arguably the worst jointer option out there, you'll have a top of the line hand plane, and you'll probably get better results flattening and squaring a board than what you could from a benchtop jointer, including boards wider than the 6" capacity of the jointers you are interested in. If your work is in smaller cabinets and boxes, the difference in time between a hand plane and a jointer to flatten and square a board is minimal. Don't forget that you'll have to spend time tweaking the jointer.

Clint Winterhalter
05-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Tom,
My bet is the machines you are looking at the same machine. Shopfox is made by grizzly and sold thru dealers. Grizzly you can order direct. They do have some differences between them, but they are very slight. I would go with the one you can get the best deal on..
Good Luck..

Clint

Jim Grill
05-24-2007, 8:58 AM
My first jointer was the small bench top from Delta. It had no adjustment for the out-feed table and this proved to be a real problem. The in-feed table was also slightly tilted back making it slightly out of parallel with the out-feed table, which made terrific parallelograms but terrible for facing.

I had experience with other jointers and found the shortcomings too be to significant to keep it. I boxed it back up and took it back. I've heard similar stories from others who have owned bench model jointers. I just don't know if any of them are worth the money.

I'd go with an old delta or old craftsman 4". They are light and built well and plentiful in the used tool market.

Good luck and have fun!

Chuck Lenz
05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
If you live close to North Dakota Tom I have a old Delta/Rockwell 37-290, 4" jointer that I'm selling. This is what you should be looking for. The 37-110 model is less desirable. Either one are still alot nicer machine than what your looking at buying, and are a way better investment in my opinion. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/DeltaJointer_37-290.jpg

Richard Niemiec
05-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Chuck, that's a little beauty right there. They don't make 'em like that one any more. RN

Tom Slupek
05-24-2007, 12:22 PM
If you live close to North Dakota Tom I have a old Delta/Rockwell 37-290, 4" jointer that I'm selling. This is what you should be looking for. The 37-110 model is less desirable. Either one are still alot nicer machine than what your looking at buying, and are a way better investment in my opinion. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/DeltaJointer_37-290.jpg

I wish you were closer. I'm near Chicago, IL. Is that a floor model or benchtop?

CPeter James
05-24-2007, 1:59 PM
You could mount it on a piece of plywood and its a bench top machine.

UPS will ship 150 pounds!! That is a real jointer. The fence is very sturdy. I had one once. A nice machine. Strike a deal!!

CPeter

Ken Werner
05-24-2007, 2:09 PM
I've had a 4" jointer [Dunlap but otherwise very similar to the photo] and it did the job for quite a few years. Wilbur's suggestion about getting a fine hand plane is also worth considering. I guess it depends on if you really need a jointer to remove lots of material quickly, or if you have the luxury of doing things at a slower pace. To me, an old 4" jointer is much better than the new benchtops, but must be seen as a step towards other tools - either bigger jointers [ I went through 6" to currently 8"] or Neander ways.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Ken

Chuck Lenz
05-24-2007, 3:09 PM
Tom, when these were made they were either mounted on their own stand or they were mounted right next to a 9" Contractors tablesaw on the same stand as the saw which had a dual arbor motor to run both machines at the same time. With just a little bit of thought it should be able to be mounted on a bench. It wouldn't take much. Here is a picture of one on a stand one with a table saw. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/176-C.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/4314-C.jpg

Jim Thiel
05-24-2007, 3:43 PM
The summer sale flyer from Grizzly came today:)

Model g0452 6" jointer, $310.00

Think of it as a benchtop planer with its own bench. She is mounted on wheels, so if you figure to cost of a mobile base is 70.00, then this puppy is well in your window. It'll roll out of the way when not needed. It'll do tricks. It'll save your marriage.

Jim

Chuck Lenz
05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
$310 may sound like a good deal, but you forgot to mention there is a $70 shipping charge. Thats the problem with Grizzly, if you don't live close to one of their show rooms the deals aren't that great. I have a couple pieces of Grizzly products, they seem ok, but the only reason I bought them was I bought them locally, used.

Jim Thiel
05-25-2007, 12:22 PM
...you forgot to mention there is a $70 shipping charge. Thats the problem with Grizzly, if you don't live close to one of their show rooms the deals aren't that great.

I dunno about that. I love my Grizzly tools, so for me the deals are always great. As for the 70 bucks shipping, today that would buy me a 433+/- mile and 4+ hour round trip in my truck. From my place that doesn't get me to Chicago or Detroit and back. 70 bucks for a 250+ lb. tool is a bargain.

Jim

Tom Slupek
05-25-2007, 6:16 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I will keep my eyes open for a used floor model in my neck of the woods. I'll just have to figure out where to shoe-horn it in my garage.

Tom

Holden McGroyn
05-25-2008, 3:27 PM
I've been looking for one of those for almost six years.
Wonder if you could be talked into sending it to Hawaii....

Holden McGroyn
05-25-2008, 3:30 PM

I meant one of these...

John Cooper2
05-25-2008, 3:36 PM
Heck I have a 6" Grizzly that I would love to sell, less than $200.00

but in northern Ca.....

good luck on you search. that little benchtop would be a gem.

Larry Rasmussen
05-25-2008, 7:18 PM
It was up in the Grizzly show room as a one of a kind floor sample. They had looked at it and decided not to stock them. I sold it on Craig's list after test driving it, just not very good fit and finish, adjustability. Nothing specific wrong but just an entry level tool that really screamed when running.
Larry,
Seattle

J. Z. Guest
05-25-2008, 7:28 PM
Of the two you show, I'd get the Shop Fox, since it advertises easy adjustments of the knives.

However, I'm with everyone else, and recommend a used floor model with induction motor. (the benchtop ones don't have them, hence the unusually high hp ratings compared to their current input: 12A & 2 hp? BS!)

Lots of folks have luck getting multiple discounts with Home Depot sales, then sign up for their credit card and no interest / no payments for 6 months.

It is financing, but when you're done, you have a quality machine.