PDA

View Full Version : If you're headed south . . .

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM

GA/FL are gettin' to be right poplar with them folks over at NOAA! Unfortunately we're a lot less popular with the surrounding states. Just a heads up if you are headed this way for the holiday weekend. Air quality is terrible right now. :(

Boyd Gathwright
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
.... Thanks Belinda, it's good to have an informed, heads-up, weather source from time to time :).

GA/FL are gettin' to be right poplar with them folks over at NOAA! Unfortunately we're a lot less popular with the surrounding states. Just a heads up if you are headed this way for the holiday weekend. Air quality is terrible right now. :(

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
You're welcome Boyd! Not trying to compete with the Weather Channel, just tryin' to be neighborly! Are you by chance headed south?

Boyd Gathwright
05-23-2007, 11:29 AM
.... No, but my wife has threatened to send me south on many occasions :D.

You're welcome Boyd! Not trying to compete with the Weather Channel, just tryin' to be neighborly! Are you by chance headed south?

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 11:42 AM
LOL . . . Did she threaten, or just tell you to "Go"?:D ;)

Tyler Howell
05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey Belinda,
Have the fires settled down in your area??
Just checked with my neighbors up at the new place on what I can, can't and shouldn't do during a burning ban.
They are letting the evacuees (sp?) back in to the fire areas and are contained for the time being.

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Tyler,

I checked out your fire this a.m. and from the reports it seems you guys are in much better shape. I'm very glad that is the case!! Our fires are still going strong and the three main fires have now merged into one. Our biggest problem is underground burn in the peat - burning at about 25 feet down. Men and equipment can't go into some areas due to unknown extent of underground burn. Miraculously, we've only lost one tractor, which sank into a burn area. Very few injuries as well. The firefighter operating the tractor got off and into his "shake and bake" cover, but still sustained 2nd degree burns. Another guy stepped into an underground burn and sustained first degree burns on one leg. These fires will burn for months without a significant rain event, i.e., a hurricane sitting on top of it for about a week. Winds and low humidity today are hampering burnout operations. You won't hear folks asking for a hurricane very often, but we're doing just that. We've topped half a million acres burned and counting. Thanks for checking on us! :)

Tim Brooks
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Belinda,

My wife and I have plans on being in your neighborhood the weekend of June 8th through June 10th. As far as air quality is concerned, I'm not all that concerned as we will be coming from Charleston, SC where things aren't much better, if any. But I wanted to get your take on Tybee Island which is where we have reservations. We have reserved a room at a bed & breakfast just off the beach. The wife wants to check out Paula Deen's if nothing more than for the opportunity to say she's been there. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Tyler Howell
05-23-2007, 12:47 PM
We appreciate all the service you and other emergency personnel provide.:cool:
Although 40 miles away, this is the first time I've been on the receiving side. There have been a few pinched up moments during this ordeal.
My support days are over as I've been confined to the classroom.
Good luck and stay safe.

Roger Fitzsimonds
05-23-2007, 1:02 PM
The smoke from the fires blanketed Atlanta and North Georgia yesterday. A friend of mine was going to Panama City beach and had to cancel his reservations because of the smoke and air quality. It is affecting a lot more than resident by the fire. the beach areas depend on tourism to live. I hope and pray we get some weather to help these people out.

Roger

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 1:19 PM
Do you have any other recommendations?

Tim,

I absolutelly adore Charleston! Tybee is interesting, and an eccentric little world unto itself. Take time to talk to some of the locals if you get the chance. Be sure to check beach postings if you want to go in the water. Entering the water is frequently prohibited due to bacterial contamination. Not charming, but the truth. Try to do dinner at The Crab Shack. Food is pretty good, but the atmosphere is really fun! Maybe we can meet up for lunch or dinner! On the way off Tybee you'll pass Fort Pulaski. If you are at all interest in the War of the Northern Aggression Pulaski is a good stop.

Let's see . . . things to do in Savannah. I checked and we don't have any special events on the calendar for that weekend. What are your interests? You'll spend a bit of time in line for Paula's place. If your wife is a shopper head over to Broughton and make sure you go to Paris Market and @ Home - two really great stores. If you like antiques and salvaged items hit Pinch of the Past. There are all sorts of tours from history tours to "THE BOOK" tour - (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). Another good place for vittles is The Pirate's House. The book Treasure Island was based on events that occured there. I heard they have actually opened some of the tunnels underneath the tavern and you can take a tour. If you are a military buff the Mighty 8th Airforce Museum is a must, but it will take most of the day - and bring a handkerchief. Make sure you visit River Street, which also has some great shops. If you want to relax and people watch, or you like art, head over to City Market. If you like to have a drink now and then Savannah is the home of the "To Go" cup. You can walk out of any bar and all around downtown with your cocktail. This is important - you do not have to pay to park on weekends. The meters are sitting there just waiting to take your money - but don't be fooled. This is a little known local tidbit I'm sharing with you, the meters aren't marked and Savannah will just take your money if you want to give it. Oh yeah, I missed another great antique store on Bay Street - Cobblestone Antiques, and one on Abercorn - Southern Antiques and Interiors. If you go to Southern Antiques and the owner, Lee Smith, is in you will be highly entertained. We have several great cemetaries - Bonaventure is the prettiest and my favorite.

Sorry for the length of the reply, don't think I missed anything. Let me know if you guys have the time and want to get together for a little Creeker visit. If not, I won't be offended at all! Hope you have a great time while you are here.

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 1:22 PM
We appreciate all the service you and other emergency personnel provide.:cool:
Although 40 miles away, this is the first time I've been on the receiving side. There have been a few pinched up moments during this ordeal.
My support days are over as I've been confined to the classroom.
Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks Tyler! I am actually just a volunteer trying to make things better for the firefighters. I grew up in the backyard of the Okefenokee Swamp and the pine flatlands have a special place in my heart. I think one of the worst things though is what we are losing in wildlife habitat. This fire hit at the height of songbird and turkey nesting season. There are displaced deer, bears, and turkeys everywhere. You have to be really careful driving because you never know what will cross the road in front of you. Recovery from this will take a long time.

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 1:30 PM
The smoke from the fires blanketed Atlanta and North Georgia yesterday. A friend of mine was going to Panama City beach and had to cancel his reservations because of the smoke and air quality. It is affecting a lot more than resident by the fire. the beach areas depend on tourism to live. I hope and pray we get some weather to help these people out.

Roger

You are absolutely right Roger. The tourism industry in Florida particularly has really been impacted by these fires. Your prayers are greatly appreciated by those in the fire area. As you can imagine, they are so tired of this long battle. Many of them have evacuated, returned home, and evacuted again - several times over. That is extremely stressful, especially for the small children and the elderly. If you know any rain dances, start dancin'. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Tim Brooks
05-23-2007, 2:19 PM
Tim,

I absolutelly adore Charleston! Tybee is interesting, and an eccentric little world unto itself. Take time to talk to some of the locals if you get the chance. Be sure to check beach postings if you want to go in the water. Entering the water is frequently prohibited due to bacterial contamination. Not charming, but the truth. Try to do dinner at The Crab Shack. Food is pretty good, but the atmosphere is really fun! Maybe we can meet up for lunch or dinner! On the way off Tybee you'll pass Fort Pulaski. If you are at all interest in the War of the Northern Aggression Pulaski is a good stop.

Let's see . . . things to do in Savannah. I checked and we don't have any special events on the calendar for that weekend. What are your interests? You'll spend a bit of time in line for Paula's place. If your wife is a shopper head over to Broughton and make sure you go to Paris Market and @ Home - two really great stores. If you like antiques and salvaged items hit Pinch of the Past. There are all sorts of tours from history tours to "THE BOOK" tour - (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). Another good place for vittles is The Pirate's House. The book Treasure Island was based on events that occured there. I heard they have actually opened some of the tunnels underneath the tavern and you can take a tour. If you are a military buff the Mighty 8th Airforce Museum is a must, but it will take most of the day - and bring a handkerchief. Make sure you visit River Street, which also has some great shops. If you want to relax and people watch, or you like art, head over to City Market. If you like to have a drink now and then Savannah is the home of the "To Go" cup. You can walk out of any bar and all around downtown with your cocktail. This is important - you do not have to pay to park on weekends. The meters are sitting there just waiting to take your money - but don't be fooled. This is a little known local tidbit I'm sharing with you, the meters aren't marked and Savannah will just take your money if you want to give it. Oh yeah, I missed another great antique store on Bay Street - Cobblestone Antiques, and one on Abercorn - Southern Antiques and Interiors. If you go to Southern Antiques and the owner, Lee Smith, is in you will be highly entertained. We have several great cemetaries - Bonaventure is the prettiest and my favorite.

Sorry for the length of the reply, don't think I missed anything. Let me know if you guys have the time and want to get together for a little Creeker visit. If not, I won't be offended at all! Hope you have a great time while you are here.

Wow, thanks for the tips. I must admit, however, I am somewhat disappointed about the beach at Tybee Island. What's up with that? Of course, the people we are renting the room from never mentioned that problem :mad: . I do thank you for the heads up, though.

The wife is finally ready to get away without the kids for the first time (the main reason for our short trip). So hopefully we can find things to keep us busy since we don't have to chase them around. As far as dinner is concerned, let me talk to the wife and I will let you know. Thanks so much for the invite! You say there is always a line at Paula Deens, huh? I guess the key is to plan to eat there at an abnormal time to eat lunch or dinner to avoid those long lines. I am interested in the Mighty 8 Air Museum and I am certain the wife will find things for which to shop.

Again, thanks so much for the information and I will let you know about dinner.

Tim

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2007, 2:39 PM
You say there is always a line at Paula Deens, huh?

Here's the routine for The Lady & Sons. Get in line as early as possible in the a.m. to make a reservation for lunch or dinner. Then get back in line to wait for your meal. It really is a wait and the line can be a couple of blocks long. I was there last Friday at 3:45 to pick up some catered items and the line was two blocks long.

Go to this site to check for water quality the week of your
trip. As of today all areas of Tybee are okay for swimming.

www.earth911.org/waterquality/defaultIMS.asp?cluster=2 (http://www.earth911.org/waterquality/defaultIMS.asp?cluster=2)

Since you are having a romantic getaway weekend please don't feel obligated to have dinner with us, etc. Get your wife a big Margarita from North Beach Grill, deliver it to her beach chair, and tell her to relax!!:)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, rip currents are pretty bad at Tybee as well so check the postings on this also.