PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Question

Jay Jolliffe
05-23-2007, 7:43 AM
Hello all.....For the people who own a SawStop table saw. Did you buy it through SawStop or through another store ?

James Phillips
05-23-2007, 7:51 AM
Woodcraft. I do not think you can order straight from SS anymore. The price is standardized so it would not save money anyway

Andrew Williams
05-23-2007, 7:52 AM
I got mine at a Woodcraft too

John Bush
05-23-2007, 8:31 AM
I bought mine before they began distribution thru dealers and had it shipped from Portland to a fregiht terminal in Seattle and picked it up there. I think the sale price was the same, but I saved on the shipping.

Peter Melanson
05-23-2007, 9:23 AM
I got mine at woodcraft as well

Glen Blanchard
05-23-2007, 9:31 AM
SS no longer sells direct.

Don Bullock
05-23-2007, 4:02 PM
I bought mine through Eagle Tools in Los Angeles, CA. They were fantastic and provided some special services with the saw. I would suggest that you check to see what kind of service. See the following thread for the kind of service I got.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55934&highlight=SawStop

As has been stated, SawStop doesn't sell them directly anymore.

Joe Jensen
05-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I bought from Timber Woodworking Machinery in Mesa AZ. No shipping charge, but they did charge $50 deliver fee to deliver into my shop...joe

John Myers
05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Just curious - has anyone tried the hot dog test on that saw? I watched it on the internet and it was incredible. I wish all TS had that safety feature.

John

Randy Denby
05-24-2007, 6:20 AM
John....from what I understand, the hotdog test can cost close to 200.00. Considering blade/ cartridge replacement. Lotssss cheaper than an emergency room bill tho :)

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 9:52 AM
John....from what I understand, the hotdog test can cost close to 200.00. Considering blade/ cartridge replacement. Lotssss cheaper than an emergency room bill tho :)

Randy is partly correct. The brake is $69 and the price of the blade is determined by the operater's choice. In many cases the blade can be saved. It may need a few points fixed and sharpened. The part of the blade, including the teeth that just passed the brake before it fires, are all untouched. I've seen the test in person, close up, twice now. It is an amazing sight. I understand that Woodcraft stores do the demonstration on a fairly frequent basis if you want to see it demonstrated in person. If you are not close to one of their stores there may be a distributer near you that does them.

Peter Melanson
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
When the woodcraft in Colorado Springs got it in they did a demonstration (I think they doing another this weekend) They moved it through pretty quick and it didn't even break the skin, it worked better than in the demonstration video. That's when I decided to buy mine.

Peter

Paul Bombardt
05-24-2007, 1:02 PM
When I purchased my SS at Woodcraft, they told me that if I had an accident and the brake cartridge was tripped, I could bring it back to Woodcraft or send it to SS and they would provide a new one without charge. Unless I misunderstood, they are are doing this so that they can pull data off of the cartridge, probably for future improvements.

So while many complain that it costs a lot if you do trip it, it looks to me that SS is meeting that complaint with a benefit for woodworkers. In addition, of course, to the built-in insurance policy of keeping all your fingers.

Andrew Williams
05-24-2007, 1:52 PM
I can verify that. The SS rep told me they replace the cartridge for free in the event of a finger save. If it gets set off for some other reason then you have to buy the replacement. One thing I did ask was what was the main reason for false triggers and was told the biggest cause was not aligning the brake cartridge distance from the blade after changing the blade. You have to put a US nickel between the tooth and the nearest part of the brake and set the distance that way.

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 1:58 PM
I can verify that. The SS rep told me they replace the cartridge for free in the event of a finger save. If it gets set off for some other reason then you have to buy the replacement. One thing I did ask was what was the main reason for false triggers and was told the biggest cause was not aligning the brake cartridge distance from the blade after changing the blade. You have to put a US nickel between the tooth and the nearest part of the brake and set the distance that way.

Andrew is correct about the free replacement. That information is printed in the owner's manual that comes with the SawStop so it's in writing, not just what a rep told him.

Andrew, thanks for reminder about using the US Nickel and that being a reason for false triggering of the brake.

Ken Werner
05-24-2007, 2:01 PM
Andrew, I'm not very far from you, and haven't had much luck finding a dealer anywhere near. Where did you purchase your SS?
Ken

Andrew Williams
05-24-2007, 2:11 PM
I had to drive all the way to Downingtown PA, near Philly. Over 3 hours each way pulling the big trailer. There are very few dealers near here unfortunately. It was recommended to me that I could save sales tax by going all the way to Delaware but that was after the fact. If you would like to check out the saw you are welcome to come by the shop, send me a PM

Don Bullock
05-24-2007, 2:35 PM
Here are the New York dealers:

New York
H.I.T. Distributors, Ltd
74 Merrick Road - SHOWROOM
Lynbrook, NY 11563
516-887-5151
Philipps Bros. Supply, Inc.
2525 Kensington Ave. - SHOWROOM
Amherst, NY 14226
716-839-4800
Hermance Machine Company
Contact Williamsport, PA Location for New York Representative.
570-326-9156
Email: bkita@hermance.com
Spooner Specialties
Contact Montpelier, VT Location for eastern New York Representative
802-229-4800

You can check the SawStop site for other states that may have one that is closer.

Jim Grill
05-24-2007, 2:46 PM
I live near Philly. Which dealer did you go to? I'd love to go see one in person. I'm new in the area and have not located any WW dealers in the area yet.

Dave Hale
05-24-2007, 3:31 PM
I bought mine from Woodcraft in Wilmington, DE. Same guy owns the Downingtown, PA store. I had mine delivered into the garage for about $200. Uncrating was mine to do but I like unwrapping my own presents. :rolleyes:

I'm having a problem with the dado brake and SS is sending a new one with a return label for no cost on my part.

Andrew Williams
05-24-2007, 5:12 PM
Ditto that, although I went to Downingtown. They are good folks.

Peter Melanson
05-24-2007, 5:17 PM
You are right it does state in the manual they will replace the cartridge due to a finger save.