PDA

View Full Version : obligatory gloat

Lynn Kasdorf
01-05-2004, 2:46 PM
Well, after much research and repetative question asking on this and other forums, I now have my ultimate scrolling miter saw.

I went with the Makita LS1212. What a machine! This thing is a work of art. It came out of the box completely calibrated. I took a piece of scrap 2x4 and made some bevel cuts. I cut some slices that were about the thickness of a playing card-you can see through them. The finish is so smooth that they FEEL like the glossy side of a playing card as well.

It is quiet enough that I feel no need for ear goggles when using it, although I will use them if I have a lot of cuts to do.

I mounted this baby on my $50 HF folding miter saw stand, and it is a great setup. (I know- pearls on top of swine) The stand is suprisingly good for the money, after a minor amount of re-engineering (adding spacer washers). Eventually the saw will take up permanant residence in the shop, but for now it is stationed in the house I am rennovating.

I love vintage woodworking (and other) machinery, but I must say the technology in the new SCMS's is pretty wonderful.

Cheers
Lynn Kasdorf

Howard Rosenberg
01-05-2004, 3:41 PM
Sounds like your gloat is well-justified! howard

Todd Burch
01-05-2004, 5:21 PM
Lynn, would that be a SLIDING miter saw? Either way, congrats!

Lynn: 1
Todd: 0