PDA

View Full Version : dust collection question?

Jim Heffner
05-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know of a really light weight dust collection hose that I can buy that can be hooked up to my Porter-Cable ROS and my ridgid shop vac without a bunch of extra adapters on the ros? I'm tired of the regular shop vac hose and extra adapters ....they work, but add so much extra
weight and make the whole sanding process a real pita if you know what I mean! I'm ready to try something else, the small dust collector can that came with the sander is of little or no use for very long sanding sessions.
Thanks in advance.......Jim Heffner

Phil Thien
05-23-2007, 8:24 AM
PC makes a hose that is designed for their RO sanders. However, it is only 1" in diameter and most dust collectors will struggle with it. It is really intended to use with shop vacs. Oh, and you may still need an adapter on the shop vac end to use this hose as it comes sized for PC vacs (they do make an adapter to use it with standard 2.25" shop vac ports).

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-39332-Vacuum-1-Inch-Ports/dp/B0000222WV/ref=sr_1_1/102-5863652-3010530?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1179923011&sr=1-1

I bought mine at Rockler (local store). It doesn't show in their online system, but they always have 2-3 in stock at the Milwaukee store.

Jim Heffner
05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Phil, thanks for the reply. I have checked at Klingspor woodworking, and what they have is not what I needed either. Might have to try at Woodcraft both have stores in my area. Most shop vac hoses are too heavy for what I want, was hoping to find something very light to reduce weight on the sander end and a lot more flexible. The extra added weight of the hose and having to constantly move it around when sanding, tends to shorten the sanding time for me. Thanks, Jim Heffner

Vic Damone
05-23-2007, 2:53 PM
Try medical supply and/or respiration therapy. You'll probably need to fabricate the connections and it might not be the most durable. If you figure something out please let us know.

Vic

Jim Heffner
05-24-2007, 2:15 PM
Try medical supply and/or respiration therapy. You'll probably need to fabricate the connections and it might not be the most durable. If you figure something out please let us know.

Vic
That may be a good idea Vic, I'm thinking about a white plastic hose that I've seen on some type of swimming pool vac hoses and see if it may be
something better than the shop vac hose I'm using now. To me, lighter, thinner, more flexible is the only way to go here!

Jim Heffner
05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
If anyone else is looking for this type of hose, I found one at Klingspor
woodworking store...it is a Bosch hose with a 1" connector on one end and a 2 1/4" connector on the other. It hooks directly to the connector on my ROS and the shop vac with no additional connectors needed.
Don't remember the length ...but plenty long enough and very light in weight...cost $25.00 and tax.

Dave Hale
05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I just got this hose for my Bosch last weekend and with a normal, large DC it is basically useless. I have a 2HP Jet DC and with all blast gates closed except for this adapter, I had layers of wood dust coating the connections and a nice whistling sound out of the 1" connector. It's a 15 foot hose with very little volume moving thru it. Maybe a shop-vac does better, I don't know. I ended up using one of those soft-plastic 'step-up' adapters directly into a 2 1/2" hose. Yes, it's a little unbalanced but a bungie cord down from the ceiling helped even it out. :)