PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl !

Ken Milhinch
05-23-2007, 12:15 AM
About 6 weeks ago, I bought a lathe, simply because I had the room after expanding my existing workshop. Although I am an experienced woodworker, I had never used a lathe at all. After playing with it for a few minutes, I realised that I had a fair chance of killing myself if I didn't get some expert tuition.:o
Not the type for clubs or group stuff, I sought out some personal tuition, only to find a reknowned turner (Vic Wood) living just ten minutes from me, and he runs two day intensive classes for 2 people. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have butchered a couple of pieces of scrap wood, but finally made something that at least resembles a bowl. I know I still have a long way to go, but fortunately wood grows on trees.:D
This wood, by the way is Fijian Yakka.It measures 4" across the top and stands just 3" high.

Nathan Camp
05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Very nice bowl Ken.

Nathan

Doug M Jones
05-23-2007, 5:52 AM
Nice bowl!

Another Australian wood that I've not heard of. Very pretty grain and finish. Wish my first had looked that good.

Jamie Donaldson
05-23-2007, 9:35 AM
... cup shape that every beginner makes. Next project try for a bowl with flowing curves, which are much easier to turn, especially on the inside. You found that the inside transition from flat side to short radius to flat bottom was very hard, and a curve without sharp interruptions in the cut is much easier when you come to terms with the bowl gouge. As one of my early teachers, Rude Osolnik would have said, you left enough wood in there to make another one! Eash one gets better and faster, and the only place you learn is in front of the lathe! That's another Rudeism!

Paul Engle
05-23-2007, 9:58 AM
Welcome aboard Ken, that " bowl " would look great with a lid/ and final on it. A couple of my first bowls ended up with lids and sold very easily. Course the LOML was not happy w/ me until I made her a dozen or so:eek: Once that was done and I filled up the house.... she quit pestering me about making her some stuff. I think it's Larry the cable guy that says " geter done". Nice bowl btw, neat lookin wood.

Ken LaSota
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Ken nice job on the finishing and I like the grain. Welcome to our world of turning.
Ken

Bill Boehme
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I know I still have a long way to go, but fortunately wood grows on trees.:D

A very handsome bowl indeed. When I started turning, I thought that wood had to be bought from a store and then, like you, I also discovered that it can be found in the wild growing on trees around here.

Since you are new to woodturning, I think that you need to learn a little tune I wrote that I know that you can identify with as you fall into the turning vortex. It will help you get through the rough times.

You Ain't Spent Nothing Yet

I met a devil lathe, it took my heart away
Creekers said I had it comin' to me, but I wanted it that way
I think that any wood is good wood
And so I took what I could charge, mmm
Oooh, oooh, the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

You ain't spent nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't spent nothin' yet
Here's something else that you need to get

And now I'm feelin' better, 'cause I found out for sure
I took myself to ‘da Creekers and they told me of a cure
D’ey said that any wood is good wood
So I took what I could get, yes, I took what I could charge
Oooh, and the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Here's something, here's something else that you've gotta get
You need educated

Any wood is good wood
So I took what I could get, yes, I took what I could charge
And then, and then, and then the salesman looked at me with big brown eyes
And said

Baby, you just ain't spent nothin' yet
Here's something, here's something,
here's something, bubba, you've gotta get
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't spent nu-nu-nu-nothin' yet
You ain't been round ‘n round and yet

I know I ain't spent nothin' yet
I know I ain't spent nothin' yet
Baby, Baby, Baby

Bill Wyko
05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
OH MY MY BELLY HURTS FROM LAUGHTER!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D The song tells it ALL.:eek:

Keith Burns
05-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Ken, that is a very nice "first Bowl". Cangrats !! Hang onto this bowl so you have something to look back and compare to a year from now.

Bernie Weishapl
05-23-2007, 1:49 PM
Ken that is a mighty fine bowl. You want to keep that as it is your first to look at a year down the road. I did and what a difference.

ROFLOL!!! Bill that is good. :D :D