PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 734 Planer

daniel lane
05-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello again, all.

Once again, I've read a bunch of threads, and I know a heck of a lot more than I did coming into it, but I'm still left with a question or two.

Does anyone here use the Dewalt 734 planer? I see a lot of posts about the 735, but I have an opportunity to purchase a used 734 for about $200 and am trying to decide if that's a good deal. A Woodcraft rep once told me that it was certainly a better value than the 735 (tables, knives were his big points), but I figure so many of you with 735s can't be wrong! :)

Thanks,

daniel

glenn bradley
05-23-2007, 1:27 AM
I have a 734 and love it. I wanted the 735 and if you've got the dough I would do it. I just couldn't pony up the extra dough just to turn around and lay out some more for tables.

I put the Wixey DRO on mine and have flipped the knives once in two years. That was just because I hit 'something'. I mounted it to a flip top table with my CMS on the other side. The CMS has since moved to another table and my belt/disc sander took it's place.

I haven't found anything that will even slow the 734 down and just picked up three sets of knives at a closeout warehouse for $24 a set so I guess I'm happily married to the planer for a while to come.

At $200, I'd dive on it. Dust collection is good with a DC (I have forgotten to turn the DC on as the planer moves enough air to inflate the bag so it looks like the DC is on). Dust collection is so-so with a shop-vac. Height adjustment is smooth and reliable and the carriage lock adds to your confidence level.

Kirk Poore
05-23-2007, 9:05 AM
I also have a 734, and have been quite pleased with it. It's light enough that I can store it on the floor under the outfeed end of my jointer, and pick it up and set it on my Workmate when I want to use it. Unlike Glenn, I've found the dust collection to be decent with a shop vac and a trash can chip separator. Blade life has been good.

The machine seems to strain more on deep cuts (>1/32nd on 8"+ boards) than my old Delta 22-560 did. The carriage lock is OK--I think the Delta's was better, though. I got this planer after I wore that one out. For me, that is no longer that significant since I got a big planer for heavy work.

Kirk

John Hemenway
05-23-2007, 9:16 AM
I've got one too. Love it. Went thru a kitchen's worth of lyptus before I had to flip the knives. Dust collection and hearing protection both 'must haves'! For $200 it's a steal!!!!