PDA

View Full Version : General Purpose Finish

Matt Ressner
05-22-2007, 9:07 PM
I am new to the woodturning craft. I posted one picture of a NE bowl I did a couple of weeks ago but am looking to get a better understanding of finishing the pieces (bowls, stoppers, pens, etc). The only finish I have used is Bees wax. It was OK but did not result in the high finish I was looking for. Anyone got ideas?
Thanks
Matt

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 9:49 PM
Matt I am no expert by any means but after one year I have settled on these finishes. General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. Use this for some bowls and eating utensils. I use Minwax Antique Oil, Minwax Tung Oil Finish and Watco Danish Oil for most everything else and Deft Lacquer. I will use wipe on poly sometimes. I like the Antique Oil and the Danish Oil so much that when I run out I will not get the Tung Oil finish. I like it but the others are better IMHO. A lot of the turners on here use the Antique Oil. Hope this helps.

Mike Vickery
05-22-2007, 9:53 PM
on pens I almost always use ca as a finish. Other than that I usually oil based wip on wipe off finishes watco danish oil, minimax antique oil, or a home brew danish oil. To be honest almost any wood working finish will work well. I have ot good results with deft laquer, general high performance water base poly, homemade wiping poly, and waterlox as well. I just prefer the first ones listed.
If you want to get serious about your finish invest in a buffing system they make a big difference.
If you are new to wood turning I would recomend sticking to simple finishes so that you contentrate on turning.
Just my 2 cents.

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Matt - been happy using Watco Danish Oil or Minwax Antique Oil as a base coat, Minwax Wipe-On Poly (Gloss) for a top coat.

Jamie Donaldson
05-23-2007, 9:20 AM
.. many finishes, and never learn how to really master the finishing techniques they should. I suggest starting with 2 or 3 until you know more about how finishing should be done for each specific application. My 3 choices are 1.Watco Wiping Poly-easy to use and durable, and can be built to a shiny or satin surface of choice. 2. Deft spray lacquer(in the cans,ready to spray) semi-gloss or gloss of choice. 3. General Finishes High Performance- the best water based finish I have used, and recently top rated in Fine Woodworking tests. Stick with these 3 until you learn how to make finishes work for you, rather than thinking that you need a new finish for each project.