PDA

View Full Version : Best propane grill for the money

Ben Grunow
05-22-2007, 9:06 PM
I need a new grill and it seems like the good ones are all over $400.

I like the cheaper Weber and Ducane models but am reluctant to buy a Ducane because I have never seen the cheapest model and the Weber seems to be overpriced (just paying for a name).

Here is the Ducane-
http://www.amazon.com/Ducane-30731101-Affinity-3-Burner-Propane/dp/B000H1PH6Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9426909-9078020?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1179882249&sr=8-1

(could this link be a TOS violation? sorry if it is)

Can anyone suggest a good grill for less or talk me into the Ducane?

Hep me, please.

Ben

Dave Hale
05-22-2007, 9:19 PM
I had a Ducane (natural gas hooked up to the house line) in the house I live in. It was 20+ years old and the body was in great shape, but the cost of replacing the burners and grates (falling apart rusted) was over 200 bucks.

I had a Weber in Singapore (propane) and replaced the Ducane with a Weber here (natural) and am extremely satisfied. I've had it for 2 years. Even, consistent heat. Igniter stills works (a rarity). We use it year-round. I've even had to shovel the snow out of the way to use it in winter. :)

Got the Weber during a Sears sale for a little under $400. Cost that and more to get the 'codified' natural gas hookup in place. Can't go wrong with a Weber, just don't get the stainless models. As long as you keep the cover on, it should last a long time.

Craig D Peltier
05-22-2007, 9:26 PM
Ive had Char broils etc. and then moved up to a Weber Silver series.Its nite and day, the heat is so even.Takes one click to start and its about 2 years old.I keep it in garage an roll out to door when im Qn, plus im in the shop too.:D
Heats up to 500 in about 5 minutes with full gas.Seems thats where it stays between 4-500 while cooking on high.I only cook salmon on planks on it.

Dick Latshaw
05-22-2007, 9:36 PM
I only cook salmon on planks on it.

Farm raised salmon? I didn't think so. May I say 'You suck!'.:D

Ron Jones near Indy
05-22-2007, 9:42 PM
I have a 15+ year old Ducane that is in great shape. No rust anyplace, lots of stainless steel in the proper places and the original ignitors still work. It just has 2 burners, but that's not a problem since I am used to cooking that way. I hear that the newer ones may not be quite as good as the old ones, but if I were looking for one a Ducane is the 1st one I would look at.

Nancy Laird
05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Check out the Brinkman grills. Good prices, good value, good workmanship. We have one and LOVE it.

Nancy

Bruce Page
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Love my Weber Silver!

Ted Shrader
05-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Ben -

I have a 16+ year old Weber 1500. (Now a Silver C.) The firebox, burners, flavorizer bars, etc are all original and in good shape. I have replaced the original cooking grates with cast iron (porcerlain covered) from Home Depot. They make great grill lines. We use the grill at least three times a week. More in the warmer weather.

Good luck with your choice.

Ted

Peter Stahl
05-23-2007, 6:01 AM
I have the Weber silver and really like it. I think the Ducane is being made by weber now. If I were to get a new grill I think I would look at the Grillmasters.

Russ Filtz
05-23-2007, 8:03 AM
I like my Weber Platinum (I think!) It's all stainless construction except I think the hood is cast aluminum or something. Only problem is on some of the stainless I've had some minor surface rust, mainly I think from being in a semi-enclosed space near my pool. Chlorine fumes probably getting to it. Yes,some stainless can still rust!

David G Baker
05-23-2007, 8:10 AM
I have the Weber Silver, or what ever it was called in 1999, and it is still in great shape after 8 years of frequent use.

Tim Brooks
05-23-2007, 8:11 AM
I love my Weber Silver. Got it for a steal from Home Depot. I think someone priced it incorrectly. Even after questioning the price, they were convinced it was correct. So, I was happy to roll it out to the truck and put it to use that night. Oh, and it was already assembled...

Phil Thien
05-23-2007, 8:15 AM
I had a Kenmore (can't remember the OEM) that was decent. When it finally gave up (sometimes we use it five or six times a week), I went to HD and got a Char-Broil. I was SOOOOO dissapointed in the assembly and the overall construction that I took it back and did more research online.

The Amazon reviews led me to the Weber Q300. This is a plastic-resin base with aluminum top. Kinda strange. However, it went together in just minutes and really does excel at even heat/no burning.

I purchased mine at my local hardware store which was within $10-$20 of the Amazon price.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-426001-300-Propane-Barbecue/dp/B000CDHOJA/ref=sr_1_6/102-5863652-3010530?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1179922384&sr=1-6

Glenn Clabo
05-23-2007, 8:21 AM
I've had the Ducane Stainless http://www.ducane.com/product/Grills.aspx?plid=3&mid=22 for a couple of years now. I love it...and as far as CS... last year the gas regular failed...they had someone here the next day to fix it.

Brian Elfert
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I need a new grill and it seems like the good ones are all over $400.

I like the cheaper Weber and Ducane models but am reluctant to buy a Ducane because I have never seen the cheapest model and the Weber seems to be overpriced (just paying for a name).

Here is the Ducane-
http://www.amazon.com/Ducane-30731101-Affinity-3-Burner-Propane/dp/B000H1PH6Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9426909-9078020?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1179882249&sr=8-1

(could this link be a TOS violation? sorry if it is)

Can anyone suggest a good grill for less or talk me into the Ducane?

Weber bought Ducane a few years back. The model sold on Amazon is basically a Weber with a few cosmetic changes and a Ducane label slapped on the front. It is not even remotely related to the Ducane grills sold for many years.

My parents have a classic Ducane with all stainless on the inside that is 10 to 15 years old. They had to replace the grate on the bottom and all of the ceramic briquettes last year. The grate literally fell apart.

My father believes the reason they had to replace this stuff is because they left the grill running on high for many hours multiple times.

Brian Elfert

Ed Falis
05-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I know it isn't what you asked for, but check out www.biggreenegg.net (or www.biggreenegg.com). It runs on charcoal, but who cares? Check the forum.

- Ed

Greg Cole
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
May not be available in all areas, but Vermont Castings makes nice ones too. I've actually seen them sold out here in MO, so ya never know. They aren't cheap, but they are easily comparable to the very popular Webers.

$0.02

Greg

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a Golden Blount TEXAS SIZZLER III and I think that grill is the absolute SHIZZ~!! I really like the rotisserie. IT is the ultimate set it and forget it gadget. I got some baskets from the BORG that hold all manner of small things on the rotisserie including fish and what not that. I have has two 24 pound turkeys on this rotisserie together each Turky Day and it's a champ so long as I use a balancing counterweight.

I use this grill in all seasons snow rain whatever. It's one of the infra-red grills you can not put any aluminum in or it''ll melt.

Before I got this grill I had several aluminum and steel and cast iron grills (never had a Webber). The one I liked best was a Sunshine Grill that I paid about $350.00 for and managed to keep outdoors for three years before the rust finally over took it. It had heavy 20 pound Cast iron burners that got really hot and a griddle surface on half the grill. I think it'd be superb in a desert climate. Where I lived it rusted.

I've had my Texas Sizzler for a few years and the thing is as good as new. The infra red elements cracked and the ten year guarantee is a good as gold. One Fax and I got new elements that are a breeze to install and I merely mentioned that the food acids had caused some pitting and rust on the grill surfaces and they sent me three brand new grill racks ( all no charge).

The only down side to this grill is the fact that I use it so much and hate to clean (so I put it off) that when I do clean I gotta clean a lot.

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-23-2007, 1:31 PM
I owned a Ducane, that now would be 12 years old..left it at the house and ex is still using it.

When I purchased mine, it came with a lifetime full replacement program that I took advantage of about every two years for things like the burners and grates. They never said anything about the larger size nozzles I put in to increase the heat.

The last repair I made on it included replacing the bottom pan and pretty much all of the inners, again at no cost...not even the shipping.

It lived outdoors on the deck, uncovered for all 10 years that I was home and we used it several times a year, year long.

Best $1100 I ever spent on a bbq.

Now, I'm looking hard at Traeger grills because I'm more into the smoking than the grilling aspect of q'n.

Doug

Tom Hamilton
05-23-2007, 1:52 PM
Like many topics there are as many opinions as posters. But I'll jump in with an unqualified endorsement of the Weber Silver series.

In addition to the rapid starts, even heat and other positive points, I'll add excellent customer service (free parts replacement in my case) and right on point cookbooks.

If the Weber grill cookbook says 8 minutes to med rare on indirect, you can take it to the bank. Don't go fix a drink at minute 7 or you will have a med well steak.

Also, the sauces and sides are delicious. So add excellent cookbooks to the evaluation.

Best regards, Tom in Houston

Roger Bell
05-23-2007, 2:57 PM
We have had a somewhat higher end Ducane (cost $500 new in 96...before the SS rage) that is used 4-5 nights/week year round. Kept outside on a front porch. No problems, no replaced working parts (altho I did replace the rocks with a ceramic grid about a year ago). In 96 I was not at all happy with my wife for blowing $500 when perfectly good $179 models were available. Once again, time has proven her right.

Ed Falis
05-23-2007, 4:37 PM
Last Sunday's Parade magazine had a statement on the cover: "If you gave a redneck a billion dollars, he'd just want a bigger grill". I can more or less buy that idea - considering myself part of the demographic.

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2007, 5:43 PM
We looked at the Weber Silver but decided to spend $200 more for a Sears
that hs cast iron burners. They look just like the ones inside a forced air gas furnace and hold up just as well. We BBQ a lot and Iover the years I've gotten tired of replacing the stainless sheet metal burner assemblies when they rusted out, and eventually were discontinued. The one we got has 6 burners plus a back burner, then another burner for a pot. It's 1,100 or so Sq in, and 48,000 btu. We've on the 3rd year now and have no sign of any problems.

I don't know if they still make them, but my advice is to look for any that have the heavy cast iron burners.

Tim Morton
05-23-2007, 5:53 PM
We looked at the Weber Silver but decided to spend $200 more for a Sears
that hs cast iron burners. They look just like the ones inside a forced air gas furnace and hold up just as well. We BBQ a lot and Iover the years I've gotten tired of replacing the stainless sheet metal burner assemblies when they rusted out, and eventually were discontinued. The one we got has 6 burners plus a back burner, then another burner for a pot. It's 1,100 or so Sq in, and 48,000 btu. We've on the 3rd year now and have no sign of any problems.

I don't know if they still make them, but my advice is to look for any that have the heavy cast iron burners.

those cast iron burners will rust out faster than the stainless steel...i bought a kenmore elite at sears and paid more for it than a new weber. 3 years and it was garbage:mad: Got a weber and its much better than the kenmore.:D

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2007, 6:05 PM
those cast iron burners will rust out faster than the stainless steel...i bought a kenmore elite at sears and paid more for it than a new weber. 3 years and it was garbage:mad: Got a weber and its much better than the kenmore.:D
Tim,

That's odd. I just did my annual cleaning and other than a few plugged holes from drips there's no sign of weakness in the steel at all. This was pre-Elite series, maybe they've gone downhill since. I see where those are over $1,000, this one was on sale for $600 when we got it.

Matt Meiser
05-23-2007, 7:43 PM
I bought a Weber Silver two years ago and it is waaaayyy better than the Char-Broil we had before, which fell apart in two years. This past fall, we had a bad storm that tipped it over on the deck and broke part of the aluminium castings on the lid. Weber sent a free replacement. We got ours on clearance about this time in the spring because it was a previous years model.

Ben Grunow
05-23-2007, 9:43 PM
Holy mackels, what a ton of info and responses. THanks.

I ended up with a weber. Mostly because I could take it to my local hardware store if service was ever required and it is a name that I have come to trust. My last grill was given to me when it was a few years old after it was picked up by the hardware store employees when they were delivering a new grill to someone. I cleaned it and used it for 7 more years until I bumped it the other day with the wheelbarrow and it literally fell off its legs (it was not on-no hot dogs sacrificed). The frame was rusted at the welds and the grease pan hit the patio, quick.

The ducanes are now owned by weber and they just didnt feel like they would last. I lifted the lid on one and it racked to the point that one side was open at least an inch before the other side had lifted at all.

I think the environment takes a major toll on these things and a grill that lives in the sun will last longer than one in the shade as the metal heats up and dries out any moisture that might cause rust over time.

Thanks for the help. Hot topic at this time of year I guess.

Ben

Jim Becker
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Webber Genisis Silver...

Chris Damm
05-24-2007, 6:32 AM
Webber Silver is by far the best value in a grill. I have 8 propane tanks from junked grills and the Webber has outlasted the others by a factor of 4. It also does a great job of cooking, not overcooking your food. We use it 2-3 times a week all year round.

Peter Stahl
05-24-2007, 6:44 AM
Weber bought Ducane a few years back. The model sold on Amazon is basically a Weber with a few cosmetic changes and a Ducane label slapped on the front. It is not even remotely related to the Ducane grills sold for many years.

My parents have a classic Ducane with all stainless on the inside that is 10 to 15 years old. They had to replace the grate on the bottom and all of the ceramic briquettes last year. The grate literally fell apart.

My father believes the reason they had to replace this stuff is because they left the grill running on high for many hours multiple times.

Brian Elfert

My BIL has a Ducane that he bought before Weber changed them. Makes you wonder why a company would do that. Don't know what He'll do when his grill wears out in about >10 years from now?

Mark Patoka
05-24-2007, 8:51 AM
I picked up a Weber Genesis Silver B (3 burner) last fall on clearance from WalMart for a pretty decent price. I bought it based on recommendations from the Creek a year or so ago when someone had posted the Consumer Reports grill rankings (sorry too lazy to search for the thread). It replaced my 10-year old Sunbeam and am loving it. Just like others have said, it's a one-click start and very even cooking. I keep it covered so I expect it to last quite a while.

My FIL has had his for many years that survives the elements in northern Wis and still works great. I'd recommend it though I haven't tried Ducane or others.

Brian Elfert
05-24-2007, 9:10 AM
My BIL has a Ducane that he bought before Weber changed them. Makes you wonder why a company would do that. Don't know what He'll do when his grill wears out in about >10 years from now?

I think Ducane is still making the same grills they sold before Weber bought them, unless my local hardware store just has a bunch of old stock.

I notice the old style grills are not on the Ducane web site.

There are lots of very nice grills out there today that seem to be every bit as nice as the older Ducanes. A lot more competition these days.

Brian Elfert

Justin McCurdy
05-24-2007, 9:16 AM
FWIW, I recently read in Consumer Reports that the Kenmore 16237 (~$700) outperformed the $1500+ models. They also mentioned that you should try for 300 series stainless steel instead of 400. This could be done by carrying a magnet with you. It will stick to the 400 stainless.

John Shuk
05-24-2007, 8:56 PM
I have a Weber that I just bought and have been using a Weber Cahrcoal grill for a few years now as well. They just build them well. Even heat and reliable results. Easy to put togetheras well. I went the not so cheap route replacing the junkers every few years. I'm done with that.

Jeff Cybulski
05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
go with the Weber. I got a deal on a Summit Gold a few years ago and it has weatered the Oklahoma heat and cold with no issues. Like a lot of folks said the silver is just as good. Stainless burner tubes are the way to go.

Jeff