PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Cherry Hourglass Table Completed (w/ Pics)

Michael Fross
05-22-2007, 5:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I just finished an hourglass table and thought I would share. This is my first project with laminated curved pieces and it was a lot of fun.

The finish is a bit hard to see, but it is simply two coats of Light Walnut Danish Oil and a few coats of wax.

Lastly, this was done with about 50% of the work using handtools, along with machinery.

I'd love to hear any feedback, good or bad.

Regards,

Michael

Joe Unni
05-22-2007, 5:19 PM
Michael,

Very, very well done! Is this your design? I almost can't type as my head is pondering your work. This will sound a bit weird, but I also like the shadows that are cast.

-joe

Dan Stuewe
05-22-2007, 5:20 PM
First off, I like it a lot!!

Second off, you've got to find a place to put it so you can show off that shadow :cool: ! (no Honey, you can't put anything on this table, it would ruin the shadow!)

Roy Wall
05-22-2007, 5:55 PM
It's terrific.....beautifully done!

Did you use a vacuum bag and form?

Great job!

John Buzzurro
05-22-2007, 6:23 PM
Michael,

That is a beautiful table! I'd love to hear more about how you used the hand tools.

Tyler Purcell
05-22-2007, 6:41 PM
Simply stunning - a great table. I agree that it casts a very neat shadow. I would also like to know, however, exactly how you used the hand tools and how your formed the curved pieces.

- Tyler

Michael Fross
05-22-2007, 8:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I used a form and lamination method for the curves. I don't have a vacuum bag, and for these curves it seemed to work out ok. One mistake was using brazilian cherry. It's beautiful, but a really hard wood that does not bend that well as it is brittle. Next time, maple might be in order. However, the figure in the wood is very nice (although a bit hard to see in the pictures).

As for the hand tools, I chiseled out the mortised by hand with my new set of LN mortise chisels (stealth gloat). The tennon's were cut by hand. I used my table saw to cut the laminations and the leg taper. I used a router to cut the rabbet for the glass. Planes to get everything just right and to finish the top.

The design is not my own. I was looking for ideas and came across the plan on PlansNOW (called an accent table). While I didn't use the plan, the idea came from there.

Another nice thing I learned that everyone in the world but me probably knew, is that wax really puts a nice finish on a piece. It's the first time I used wax over Danish oil. Boy do I feel silly. I contemplated a poly finish, but opted to keep it simple (and easily repairable).

Thanks again.

Michael

Dave Ray
05-22-2007, 8:49 PM
Very nice table Mike. Hand tools have away of sneaking up on you, don't they? I like the "Quiet" they provide, but I would never give up my machines.

Charles Jackson III
05-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Very nice.

Jim Becker
05-27-2007, 9:36 AM
Michael, that's nice work! Beautiful table.