PDA

View Full Version : 0514X on a diet

Burt Alcantara
05-22-2007, 4:54 PM
I'm considering this BS as an upgrade to my 0555. One of the things that is stopping me is the weight. I have to get this into my basement. Up 3 steps then down a half flight to a landing turning perpendicular to the last set of stairs. On the bottom a right turn directly into a doorway then into the shop.

Grizzly says I can remove the motor, table and top wheel. Anyone know what the net would be after removing these parts? The tech thought the net would be around 200 lbs. That makes it very possible with a couple of Auhnolds.

I'm going to build a cardboard mock up to anticipate the trouble spots.

Am I crazy to consider this with an 82" ceiling?

Thanks,
Burt

Derrell W Sloan
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I have this saw and so far I love it. I work very close to the mini max head quarters and went there and looked over a MM16 before I bought the Griz. I have absolutely no regrets. The MM16 is a fantastic saw that is a bit heavier but for it wasn't worth 1000K + more.

To reduce the weight you can remove the wheels, table, motor, and door hinges. I think this would be more than 200 lbs and make it very manageable.

Another thing to note is that since it has a magnetic starter it is pretty easy to add a foot activated kill switch. I rigged up a foot brake that kills power to the motor when pressed. I haven't got the brake part perfected but the kill switch works perfectly.

One other thing you can remove is the pulley assembly located behind the bottom wheel. Mine had significant rust on it but one call to Grizzly was all it took to get a replacement for it. You will need a bearing puller to remove the wheels. If you don't already have one and harbor freight sells them for about $5.

Burt Alcantara
05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Grizzly said to leave the bottom wheel because reinstalling it can be a bear, so to speak. I was hoping removing the top wheel, motor and table would put me in the 200 lb reduction range. I think even with the bottom wheel in place I'll be OK.

Next problem is having it clear the ceiling.

Burt

Dave Mapes
05-23-2007, 6:26 PM
I had to replace the motor on my 514X and found it to be very simple. The bottom wheel does not have to be removed nor do I recommend removal as the weight saved is very marginal.

The removal of the motor will reduce gross weight by about 150 lbs.

The bandsaw comes from grizzly with the cast iron table top unmounted and that weights 75-100 lbs