PDA

View Full Version : Laser Power Meter

Pete Meacham
05-22-2007, 4:45 PM
Have any of you measured your laser tube output and where did you get or rent your power meter please. I know Laserbits rents one, but looking to buy my own, (I think - depending on the cost) Thanks, Pete

Steve McKee
05-22-2007, 5:52 PM
They sell them as well, $795.00.

Craig Hogarth
05-22-2007, 6:13 PM
My sales rep measured mine with a "meat thermometer". They're much cheaper and from what he said, just as accurate if used properly. But the digital one on this page doesn't cost a whole lot more.

I found them at the bottom of this site. http://www.kenteklaserstore.com/power-wizard_207.aspx

I guess you can make it out of a thermometer and black aluminum as well, but you'd have to figure out the heat transfer conversion.

Mike Mackenzie
05-22-2007, 8:14 PM
Synrad sells them for about $500.00 the last time we bought one.

http://www.synrad.com/Products/powerwizard.htm

Rob Bosworth
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Macken Instruments makes a very good "meat thermometer" power meter. The only drawback to this design is you have to be able to turn your laser on, CW for at least 18.5 seconds. Most laser engraving systems can be turned on CW for extended time. The only one we have run into that will not allow you to just turn the laser on is a Gravograph LS 900. They call it a safety feature! We have no experience with the new imported glass tube laser engraving systems.

Steve McKee
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Forgive my ignorance, CW?

David Epperson
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I used one of the Synrad units several years ago on a laser system we used on a factory floor process. I got accurate readings depite the fact that my boss had previously used it at the focal point, which left a few burnt spots in the aluminum target plate. I used it between the laser tube and the steering head, and didn't add to the collection of burn marks. You do NOT need to focus the beam on the collector, just make sure to catch all of the beam.:D

Peck Sidara
05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Forgive my ignorance, CW?

CW-Continuous wave vs. PW-Pulsed wave. When measuring power, you need to have the laser firing in all cylinders to determine laser output.

Pete Meacham
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks to all for replies. Great forum and great support. Pete