PDA

View Full Version : More on my "new used toy"

Dusty Fuller
05-22-2007, 4:42 PM
Here's my proof, I actually have a lathe. Now I need something to mount it on. I've looked through the Sears catalog online but this thing isn't that new. Any recommendations for a stand or bench to accomodate it? 12" swing and 37" between centers (not going to test those limits, by the way). I could build one, but I don't have the proper tools (welder) to do what I've seen some turners do. I can do nuts and bolts or screws and nails no problem! Anyway, I appreciate any help with getting started... I'll post what comes off the machine when I get it spinning!

Dusty Fuller
Carrollton, GA

p.s. That mini-spindle was left by the previous owner, I left it there to keep track of the tail center...

Tom Sherman
05-22-2007, 5:01 PM
Dusty that's cool you are about to be on way to the depths of the Vortex congratulations. Hey Ken...Another one bites the dust.(no pun intended)

Bob Hampton
05-22-2007, 5:55 PM
Dusty \
you dont have to build one out of metal ..thou they are nice and stout!
I built mine out of wood ..2x4 construction like a sawhorse it holds my old HF lathe fine with sandbag weight.
Do a search for shopbuilt lathe stands and u will get lots of ideas on here.
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2007, 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Black Hole of Turning. You don't need a metal bench for your lathe. Build a wooden one that will hold some ballast below and you are good to go. A couple of wooden ones I have seen are as stout as some of the metal ones.

Chas Jones
05-22-2007, 7:07 PM
Dusty, mine is a much bigger lathe and sits quite happily on a stout wooden bench.

4 x 2 frame and 1 1/4" thick MDF top.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=139093

In fact my earlier lathe had a metal stand and I deliberately fitted a wood top section to it, seems to take some of the harshness out of the operating.

Matt Haus
05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Does it function as a car battery charger too?:p

Dusty Fuller
05-23-2007, 8:20 AM
Good ideas all around, including the car charger (wait... I could mount it to my car... hmmm :cool: ). You hear all kinds of things from folks like concrete slabs and "must be solid as a rock", and I think that's true for the good lathes, but this one will do just fine on wood. I'll get on that, well, hopefully soon. Putting together a dog pen first.

Dusty Fuller
Carrollton, GA